Premature Transition to the End Game Pt.2: The Hunt for Gambit

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
So in my last thread I chronicled my first ever attempt at chasing a 5* character.  With my favorite super hero (Daredevil) set to leave tokens I figured now or never.  I had a lower than expected pull rate but half of my pulls were Daredevil and I got him max-covered!

With Gambit at 9 covers I knew I wanted to try and finish him before he left tokens and with me only needing 2 more covers to get Chavez 209-able for her SHIELD event, I figured why not pull for her now, and if I get some Gambits, then cool!

For reference my Chavez is currently 4/2/2 and my Gambit is 4/2/3.

The results:

4* Sandman (Green): Champ level.
4* Hulk (Purple): Mine is max-covered, only L94, so unusable.
4* Nico (Purple): Mine is 5/2/5 with a Blue Set to expire.  So anything other than a Yellow is unusable.
4* Hulk (Purple): See above.  Unusable.

This is where it gets better...

5* Gambit (Purple)
5* Gambit (Purple) **BONUS HERO**
4* Rocket and Groot (Blue): Champ level.
5* Archangel (Blue)
5* Gambit (Purple)
4* Eddie Venom (Green): Mine is 5/3/4, Green is the only unusable cover.
4* Gamora (Black): Champ level.
5* Gambit (Purple)

So in only 11 pulls there were a lot of unusable 4s... potentially 4/7.  But that waste is well worth it for getting FIVE 5* and FOUR Gambits in on 11 pulls. 

So, Gambit is miraculously 8/2/3, and with some customer service magic will be 5/3/5 (that's the best way to spec him given my covers right?).  Should I apply the fifth Purple before submitting my ticket and then ask for 2 Black/1 Red?  I've never done this before.  Or would they let me ask for 2 Red/ 2 Black if I don't apply any covers?

I also have no idea what to do with my mess on the vine. With Thing at 140 and only 8 Chavez covers I'm skipping SHIELD training.  I think Kraven is underwhelming anyway.

I have the Yellow Nico offer HFH but it expires in 38 hours and I only have 1900 HP.  Oh well.

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate you right now (I don't actually, congratulations on a fantastic set of pulls). The vine doesn't matter, only Gambit.

Apply the purple, then email CS.
  • Daredevil217
    CT1888 said:
    I hate you right now (I don't actually, congratulations on a fantastic set of pulls). The vine doesn't matter, only Gambit.

Go 5/3/5 right?  I’m not going to champ him anytime soon.  Just want him for if I ever do transition. 
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    CT1888 said:

Go 5/3/5 right?  I’m not going to champ him anytime soon.  Just want him for if I ever do transition. 
    What an interesting question.  Do you know what level you will park him at?

At champ level, 3/5/5 is best, imo.  Could see 4/4/5 being viable with Bolt.  But if you were to match his level with your 4* characters, I could definitely see 5/3/5 being good.  So many great things you can do with cd's at that tier.  Though I don't know the damage values at lower levels my gut still says 3/5/5 but keep in mind red will do much less damage when paired with 4s.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Be sure to add the BH purple to your rostered Gambit, right? They will only switch the covers you pulled with CP i think.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    charmbots said:
    Be sure to add the BH purple to your rostered Gambit, right? They will only switch the covers you pulled with CP i think.
    No.
  • Daredevil217
    Ruinate said:
    CT1888 said:

What an interesting question.  Do you know what level you will park him at?

At champ level, 3/5/5 is best, imo.  Could see 4/4/5 being viable with Bolt.  But if you were to match his level with your 4* characters, I could definitely see 5/3/5 being good.  So many great things you can do with cd's at that tier.  Though I don't know the damage values at lower levels my gut still says 3/5/5 but keep in mind red will do much less damage when paired with 4s.
    Well since I already will have 5 in Purple (can't change that sadly), my only options will be 5/3/5, 5/5/3 or 5/4/4.  I'm guessing less than 5 in black would be dumb so 5/3/5 by default.  I didn't think about how well he could pair with people who work off countdowns (Carol, Coulson) or his ability to overwrite enemy tiles (Carnage, Patch).  I think he'll actually work better 5/3/5 at this tier and if I ever go 5* then I can respec at that point.  Your post actually helped me feel better.  So thanks!
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Question... are you going to hoard until Gambit leaves Latest?  I have him at 12 covers and want 13 before he leaves but I’m not opening for a bit to try and get Lockjaw and Deadpool champed. 

If I get the 13th cover I will hoard until he leaves Latest, then try to finish Thor before he leaves. I’m not sure how viable this all is but here’s hoping. 
  • Daredevil217
    dramatist said:
    Question... are you going to hoard until Gambit leaves Latest?  I have him at 12 covers and want 13 before he leaves but I’m not opening for a bit to try and get Lockjaw and Deadpool champed. 

If I get the 13th cover I will hoard until he leaves Latest, then try to finish Thor before he leaves. I’m not sure how viable this all is but here’s hoping. 
    I'm going to hoard into the foreseeable future.  I'm not trying to fully transition into the 5* game at this point as I really like the 4* tier.  So won't chase Thor or Angel.  I think I'm going to start my 3* dupe farm and work on the 4 Latest (Hulk, Nico, Chavez, Kraven) and 9 Classics (Quake, Thor, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Spider-Gwen, Venom, Ghost Rider, Thing, and Howard) I still have left to champ at the 4* tier.  I still have over 5500 CP left, btw.  Iso is my bottleneck.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    For what it's worth Thor is worth chasing.  At least try to get some green covers and leave him at base level.  He will do wonderful things for your 4* characters.  He's like a better version of Gambat.  I wish there was a 3* variant.  Drool.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* Thor is amazing.  Mine is 469 and love him. He is killer in PVE for very quick clears when he is half health. While Gambit does rule PVP right now, if he does get a tweak, Thor will be right there as a replacement. 
  • Daredevil217

I have the Yellow Nico offer HFH but it expires in 38 hours and I only have 1900 HP.  Oh well.
    I went on a Taco binge (76 pulls) and with a few 250 HP pulls and the HP I got from champ levels, I was able to get the Yellow Nico cover from HFH before it expired. Have just enough Iso to champ her now and apply two vine covers since I brought her to 209 for her Shield Training. If I can do that and get 378k for Hulk in 2 weeks then it’s even more of a win!

Only have 20 HP left though. No shielding for me!
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    They will not swap to change build - your only options are 5/3/5 or 5/4/4.
  • Coulson_Lives
    Coulson_Lives Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2018
    Just swap for 5/3/5.  That will be fine for now.  Congrats btw.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had zery luck even getting a 5* lately, never mind a useable Gambit cover.

Congrats on your run of good luck, dude =)
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    I have seen several players run him at 4/4/5 as well.  I too received a nice amount of 5* Gambit covers recently and am working on champing him now, still need about 200000 iso.  My current build is 5/4/4 just based on how my covers and swaps came out.  You always want that 5 in black but depending on your other characters, I think that you can go several different ways with him and be very effective.  If you have a charged tile creator as a team mate, I think you certainly want to go 3/5/5.  
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dare devil I run gambit 4,4,5.  The reason I do this is because I want the lower CD on his purple which is extremely useful in mirror matches.  In PVE if you have a low level Black bolt who can give you charge tiles and at least 1 yellow cover they can be your go to team on hard nodes as B.B. can move your purple and red from 4-5
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Gambit 4/4/5 or 3/5/5 

• Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    I run Gambit with Hawkeye primarily and so I go 5/3/5
    That extra CD tile from purple feeds back into the AP battery providing more red/blue AP
    Hawkeye can also provide charge tiles but its the 3rd blue arrow. If you hoard all the generated red till this, you can really light up the board.
    Throw in Coulson for laughs
  • Bleh5
    Bleh5 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2018
    Not to hijack, but related. Trying to get my Gambit to be usable before he leaves latest legendaries. Currently at 2/5/3, and one red cover on the vine. Assuming I don't pull anymore covers, would you ask for swap to 3/5/3 or 2/5/4?

I pull tokens as I get enough CP, so no hoard to rely on. Even if I get to 13 covers, I wouldn't champ him right away (probably park him around 390-420) 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,242 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bleh5 said:
    Not to hijack, but related. Trying to get my Gambit to be usable before he leaves latest legendaries. Currently at 2/5/3, and one red cover on the vine. Assuming I don't pull anymore covers, would you ask for swap to 3/5/3 or 2/5/4?

I pull tokens as I get enough CP, so no horde to rely on. Even if I get to 13 covers, I wouldn't champ him right away (probably park him around 390-420) 
    With feeders being a possible thing, I think it is always best to cover the first color last if possible.  Aka 2/5/4. Then maybe a 280 4* lets you finish him, or almost.  But I think he will be in Latest for 6 more weeks; should be plenty of time.