So what do you do with 3* Gambit now?

Options
2»

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a max covered 3Gambit, with a couple of covers I think I'm gonna let expire.  Same with Elektra and probably Angel, these guys feel like a waste of resources for someone wanting to save for 4s and 5s.  Opportunity cost wise, I've been lucky not pulling enough of their covers in elites/ heroics that I feel like I'm missing out.  

The devs have already successfully tied up a certain amount of my iso to keep up the 2* farm, just so I can keep XP rolling, just so I can get more iso, ad infinitum.  125k every other month might not be such a demand, but I haven't found myself in a spot where I feel I can spare it.  

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think he's near the bottom of the 3* tier. Black is a decent red/purple generator, just nowhere near its original self. Use red after black and you'll get red and purple AP back. Red and black are both low AP moves that cause damage, so they are useful with strike tile teams. His purple is pretty mediocre, but you can pass it off to other characters without the old restrictions.

He is not on the same level as IM40 or Scarlet Witch but he has uses.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5-3-5
    I think he's alright. Probably could have been balanced as was before if the gambat strategy was removed, but this change seems pretty fair. 0/0/5 Gambit was broken, so of course any change feels drastic.
    Purple a little expensive now, but still good damage for a 3*. Black is still his best power, now its a cheap nuke, akin to 3* Gamora's red but with more to it. I might try him with Coulson and Rogue where he's only there for his black. Rogue can punch charged tiles for more ap gained. If an enemy has purple as their strongest color Coulson can do work.
    In 3* land he might work well with Hawkguy and Starlord. Or as previously mentioned Kamala khan, and maybe Ragnarok.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doesn't matter.  He's up on the shelf where I keep all my 1/2/3/4* characters.  I only dust them off when essential.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sell the 0-0-5 battery and keep the champed one for champ rewards. Rogue is still good :)
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    talleman said:
    Sell the 0-0-5 battery and keep the champed one for champ rewards. Rogue is still good :)
    Sad we can't disassemble them and reuse the covers...
    like dissection "Mutant research"
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vold said:
    talleman said:
    Sad we can't disassemble them and reuse the covers...
    like dissection "Mutant research"

Eh, 500 HP is adequate compensation for missing out on five missed champion levels.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I found a very useful situation that benefits from 3* Gambit since his change: 
    When 5* Thor accidentally gains a bit of health between matches, and is now just above 50% health (but not high enough where using Thanos would make sense). Gambit's small team damage get's Thunder God happily below 50% again. 
    This also works for 5* Daredevil to nudge him below 50% health within a match, and DD makes a strike & heals. The Gambit rework no longer precludes DD from using his purple power.