So what do you do with 3* Gambit now?

Keirain1982
Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
edited December 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Now that 3* Gambit's been nerfed, what does everyone think is the best build?
Also, who will people pair with him now to make use of him (when he is used on teams, that is)?

So what do you do with 3* Gambit now? 14 votes

5-5-3
50%
Najboljihopper1979BigBZ32hunky_funkyThorstiennPolly_P1Angelinlove92 7 votes
5-4-4
0%
5-3-5
50%
moss04StraycatLeaveMyCookiesSkadenFrudeePlatty616gmtoscaJwallyr 7 votes
4-5-4
0%
4-4-5
0%
3-5-5
0%

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't matter.  He's another 3* that will only be used occasionally like all the others.  I'll worry about it when he's required for something.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not use him. I strongly ask the devs to tweak his Black. I understand Gambattery needed to go, but this was too harsh.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Toss my black-only dupe and use him as a source of champ rewards like I do with all my 3s. 

I do agree that the nerf seems overly harsh. The 3* versions of Thanos and Hawkeye are pretty good for their tier, but 3* Gambit was already lackluster with his red amounting to mosquito bites, and now he's just complete trash.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    5-5-3
    Going to sell him if I can get a good amount of HP rebuild him and go 5/5/3, black is not that good anymore, he went from to 3 3-star to middle of the pack so no rush.
  • cgrubb80
    cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Going to sell him if I can get a good amount of HP  him and go 5/5/3, black is not that good anymore, he went from to 3 3-star to middle of the pack so no rush.
    I used him 3* me marvel and dr strange.  I ran the tables on level 6 missions.  Now I have to think of who to use

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going to sell him if I can get a good amount of HP rebuild him and go 5/5/3, black is not that good anymore, he went from to 3 3-star to middle of the pack so no rush.
    That's what I'm thinking of doing as well. Sucks that I can't put all 13 covers in Purple, seeing as that's his only good attack.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    he got nerfed from op support to trash tier. 

now he sits in a corner with squirrel girl, vision and some other toons and will see the light of day whenever he is essential, giving out  champ rewards every once in a while. 
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    5-3-5
    Note: I'm coming from a pretty healthy 3* perspective (most of the 3* tier recruited, only a few not recruited, but also only a few solidly champed), so my comments probably won't apply to anybody with a reliable 4* team.

With that being said, 3* Gambit is still a massive beast when combined with 3* Iron Man and KK. Huge AP gains => ability spam => almost infinite heals, so anything less than a 100->0% one-turn kill is insufficient to down you. His black doesn't provide passive AP, but it now does solid damage for a 5AP ability and if used right before throwing his red (which doesn't get significantly better with more covers, so you can basically *always* leave it at minimum coverage) you can very quickly start shaking the board into more favorable configurations while doing chip damage, feed into IM's Recharge, and generally just gain immense AP and health advantage over the enemy. It's not *quite* enough for me to call it a buff overall, but it's still such a solid kit that I'm not sure how to feel.

On the other hand, I can't *imagine* using him in a team without KK, and without 5 covers in her heal. At level 166, his black does 1912 damage to the enemy, but 1044 to your team (522 split among the other 2 members of the team). So his black does more than 50% of its damage back to you. With KK on the team you can easily negate that damage (especially by firing another ability first), but otherwise... how do you make effective use of that ability without nuking your own team much harder than you can reasonably handle?

It's bizarre, because my experience so far has been just incredibly positive with IM40/KK/Gambit 3*, even after this change, but just looking at the numbers, I'm not sure how Gambit is even *usable* without KK. When not passively fueled his purple is just ok, his red is only good for AP and board shake (and even then requires that you have charged tiles already on the board or else it's just bad), so it's still only in conjunction with his black that the rest of his kit is usable, but how do you afford that kind of damage to his allies?
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    utterly useless
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

Remove him as my 3-star bonus hero.
    I'll assume you already have your non-Gambat version to 183 in order to get the Rogue cover. Otherwise he's worth prioritizing until you get that Rogue cover because she's quite good.

KGB
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same as every other 3, pay no mind till they are essential
  • IceyOne
    IceyOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Ive always played him 5/5/3. I didnt want him to just be a battery.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

Remove him as my 3-star bonus hero.

I put him back as my bonus hero. I injected 8500 ISO into my unleveled Gambattery and then sold him for 9500 ISO and 500 HP. Going to enjoy the increased sale rates while they last.

The other one is over level 200 already, so he is in no immediate need of more champion levels.

• wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    There is one team that I like to use before 3*Gambit is nerfed: Kamala(5/3/5), Coulson (5/5/3, unchamped) and 3Gambit (5/3/5). It can end a match with almost full health.
    Now after the nerf, this team still kinda work (Gambit at 3/5/5), I still end with almost full health after a match, but it took a while to set up, but once you have enough black and red, it can get the ball rolling.
    I will try other team with the nerfed 3Gambit to see which configuration best suit him before giving a final build to him.

• Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    My Gambit is still on 2/2/4
    Never got to try him as a battery, so i guess i'm  not missing much.

Tried it out, It's only good if after stacking the deck. Cast Red and hopefully he'll charge some blacks.
    Hitting the charged red will prepare him to hit again and hit the black this time and able to stack the deck again...

but that's very based on luck rather then actual stacking the deck. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUysnrBf-iE
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gambit 
    4hor
    Starlord

Gambit 
    4hor
    Coulson

it works. But I don’t expect you guys to try it since complaining seems to be the thing to do right now. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Jwallyr said:

With that being said, 3* Gambit is still a massive beast when combined with 3* Iron Man and KK. 
    That's true of a lot of 3-stars.  Does recharge really help much with Gambit, though?  If you use his red, you lose Unibeam which does a LOT more damage.  If you use his purple, you might lose KK's second Embiggened Bash.  Reharge doesn't give any black.
    Jwallyr said:

On the other hand, I can't *imagine* using him in a team without KK, and without 5 covers in her heal. 
    Since you're still in the 3-star realm, how about Daken and Patch? Both true healers, neither of them use purple or black, and they'll probably tank for him since they're very likely to be much higher levels than Gambit.  If you set Patch's green to 3, you can overwrite all of the enemy strike tiles it creates with a Gambit Purple 5.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    5-3-5
    Jwallyr said:

With that being said, 3* Gambit is still a massive beast when combined with 3* Iron Man and KK. 
    That's true of a lot of 3-stars.  Does recharge really help much with Gambit, though?  If you use his red, you lose Unibeam which does a LOT more damage.  If you use his purple, you might lose KK's second Embiggened Bash.  Reharge doesn't give any black.
    Jwallyr said:

On the other hand, I can't *imagine* using him in a team without KK, and without 5 covers in her heal. 
    Since you're still in the 3-star realm, how about Daken and Patch? Both true healers, neither of them use purple or black, and they'll probably tank for him since they're very likely to be much higher levels than Gambit.  If you set Patch's green to 3, you can overwrite all of the enemy strike tiles it creates with a Gambit Purple 5.
    Recharge gets you 2 activations of Gambit's red, which is not valuable for damage but 1) minor board shake/AP generation 2) activating KK's heals. That team has a TON of sustain, so I can run them for games and games without having to use Health Packs, since the only permanent damage tends to be the first few turns before I get a Recharge going. The board shake and AP help keep the constant drip of heals going, and if I cover IM 3/5/5 his blue does solid team damage.

My kill strategy is to aim single-target damage at their highest HP character (excepting specific targets that must be nuked down first for some reason) and use KK's green and IM's blue to do the majority of actual damage. The loss of single-target damage from IM's red is not a huge loss in that regard.

I also don't use Gambit's purple unless there are special tiles to remove, because KK's green just does more damage. Because Recharge generates green, I'm not super reliant on KK's purple, and because Recharge generates purple (and Gambit's black creates purple charged tiles) it's not hard to build up enough AP to throw KK's purple for additional Embiggened Bash uses.

Is their healing factors the only reason that you suggest Daken and Patch? Sure, that team avoids any long-term impact from Gambit's black, and Gambit's purple helps to negate the downside of Patch's green, but that team ends up being just damage with no utility. Sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered, but I find that IM40/KK/Gambit has such an easy time getting started and so many splash heals going on that games are just over quicker, and I don't even have to worry about whether or notGambit is taking hits in the meanwhile.
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 93 Match Maker

Never used the gimmick gambattery version. I champed mine asap and used him A LOT, especially with C4rol and Coulson. That said, after his nerf to black I haven't used him a single round, and won't. There are just too many other better options on my roster. I really wish they would change his black back to a passive and lock out his actives across the rest of the team, same as his 5 star counterpart.

-JaGo