5* Tier Guide and Ranking (new poll opened - 12 Mar 18)
There has been no consolidated guide and ranking for the 5* tier so far. As the 5* tier is mainly progressed through RNG by (1) playing hard to get LTs, (2) hoard to 300 pulls for the latest and (3) whale, it didn’t really make sense to have a guide nor a ranking. So what if you know which 5* is the best? There is no firm path to work towards the 5* of your choice.
Not anymore. With the R140 patch, 5* are obtainable through progression rewards from the 4*. Currently, 5* characters like Peter Parker, Black Bolt, Thanos, Daredevil and Hawkeye are obtainable through 4* 'feeders' like Vulture, Medusa, Gamora, Kingpin and Kate respectively. We can expect more 4* to feed the 5* tier (about 1 new feeder announced every season).
In addition, the Heroes for Hire (HfH) stores have also been updated to include 5* purchases, with the latest 5* and classic 5* priced at 500 CP and 250 CP respectively. It is still a hefty investment, but it is cheaper than 720 CP and you do not need to have an existing color.
Hence, this is really a suitable time to have a guide for the 5*.A guide will not be complete if we don’t have a list ranking the different characters. I intent to do an open polling for every 2 - 4 5* release, so this will be a regular affair.
- The first survey (Dec 17) was with a small sample with SSOLU friends from Skynet, Singapore and S1 BC. I did a quick survey with my SSOLU friends from Skynet, Singapore and S1.
- The second survey (Mar 18) build on the lessons learnt from the 1st survey, and separate PVP and PVE ratings. It also include some simple questions on the respondents' roster strength, so that may allow me to glean different insights. The survey will be opened until end Mar 2018.
Why do you want to acquire 5*?
The 5* tier is currently the end game for MPQ. A champ 5* is much more powerful than your unboosted 4* champ. The 5* tier also has more unique abilities that you cannot find in other tiers, such as ‘cannot be stunned’, ‘prevent the board from being changed’, ‘revive after death’, etc.
A champ 5* also has huge match damage, often doing 1500 – 2000 match damage on their strong colors. A 5* cascades can often end the game quickly.
How do I acquire 5*?
The primary way to cover a 5* is through the Latest Legends (LT) tokens or Classic Legends.
LT consists of 3 latest 5* characters at a total percentage of 15%, which means the individual character pull rate is 5%. You can gather LT tokens through (1) champ rewards (3*, 4* and 5*), (2) weekly DDQ and (3) SCL9 Top 5 PVE rewards. You can also purchase a LT with 25 CP.
Classic Legends consists of all the 5* characters that are not in LT. As of Mar 18, there are 19 5* in Classic Legends. The total pull rate is 15%, which means the individual character pull rate is at a discouraging 0.79%. There are no tokens for Classic Legends. You can only purchase them at 20 CP.
There are secondary ways to gather 5*.
- Some 5* are obtainable through progression rewards from the 4*. Currently, certain 5* have 4* feeders. Peter Parker (4* Vulture) Black Bolt (4* Medusa), Thanos (4* Gamora), Daredevil (4* Kingpin) Hawkeye (4* Kate). You will get the 5* covers at level 280, 300, 320, 340, 350 and 360. We can expect more 4* to feed the 5* tier. I am hoping that there will be more than 1 feeder 4* for each 5*, which means that if you can get 4 level 320 4* feeders, you will be able to get 12 covers of a specific 5*.
- Heroes for Hire (HfH) stores have been updated to include 5* purchases, with the latest 5* and classic 5* priced at 500 CP and 250 CP respectively. It is still a hefty investment, but it is cheaper than 720 CP and you do not need to have an existing color. HfH will cycle through the 5* essentials required for PVE; so if the current PVE requires Thanos, you will be able to purchase a Thanos cover with CP.
- Occasionally, MPQ will offer a special 5* vault, which gives you a LT character plus 2 Classic Legends characters. An example is the Mes Amis Store, which contains Gambit (latest) plus OML and Phoenix. This store offer better rates for the character that you want, so you may want to spend your CP at this store if the offered characters contain one that you like.
- You can also set a 5* as your Bonus Hero (BH), which gives you a 5% chance to pull your BH everytime you draw a 5* cover. In practice, this is very low, as you need to pull 100 5* covers to get 5 BH covers.
What is the best way to break into the 5* tier?
The best way is through LT tokens. The percentages for each character is at 5% each, as compared to the dismayed <0.8% for each character in Classic Legends. Someone has crunched the maths in the forum and you need A LOT MORE tokens for Classic Legends to get a 13 cover 5* than for LT. In addition, LT currently allows for swaps for duplicate through CS, so you need way less tokens for LT than Classic Legends.
As the primary way of getting 5* is through RNG of LT, you are pretty much dependent on luck to get a 13 cover 5*. Once you have 13 covers, you need to decide how much the champ 5* will affect your MMR. My personal opinion is to go with the flow, and champ the 5* once you have them covered… but YMMV.
There are others who advocate for having 3 13 cover 5* before you champ them. Their logic is that once you have 3 5*, you can use them interchangeably in PVP and PVE. If you prefer this modality, the best way is to hoard for 300 LT pulls (mixture of LT and CP). Someone in the forum has crunched the maths, and found that 300 is almost certainly going to net you 13 covers for the 3 LT characters.