*** Loki (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• Shamusyeah wrote:
    Mischief:
    Cost 9 green.
    Loki adds 10 special tiles to the board. They are randomly strike or defend tiles and are randomly for you or your opponent. The number and strength of tiles could scale with skill level. This skill would work well with loki's black and mean it would always have a purpose.

What do you guys think?

I like this idea, though to be honest, it would probably annoy the heck out of me and I will never use it. But I like it. It fits his character.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I love this idea, though I think it should be a yellow skill and it should also randomly do dumb stuff like make web tiles and force bubbles too. Green skills seem to be tile-destruction related and focus on direct damage and such.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree with the color, but I believe ever character should have a direct damage ability. I think green should be some kind of sorcery speel doing whatever to whatever but dealing damage.
  • optimiza wrote:
    I love this idea, though I think it should be a yellow skill and it should also randomly do dumb stuff like make web tiles and force bubbles too. Green skills seem to be tile-destruction related and focus on direct damage and such.

I think it should randomly add strike / protect / countdown tiles dealing like 500 each at max level
    That way even if Loki changes all the enemy attack and protect tiles back still a chance he will take a little damage from the countdown tiles.
  • optimiza wrote:

I made it green for several reasons. Firstly green is loki's third color strength. Second, it would compete with patch's ability for use. And third since I have played wolverine a lot, I associate green with strike tiles.
  • optimiza wrote:

Spidey-venom-Loki would be a devour machine with this.
  • Phaserhawk
    edited March 2014
    Loki needs to be buffed, he is one of the coolest and unique characters that does nothing other than the ocasional Patch combo or in LR's. What does he need.

1)A third skill. It should be Green, and to tie all of his skills and trickery together, but, actually make him decent, I think he should have a skill similar to Psylocke's Red.

Staff Blast 8APLoki delights in chaos, dealing x damage and creates 1 strike tile strenght y and 1 defefensive tile strength z whenever fewer than 4 exist Staff blast costs 1 less for each Purple Strike Tile or Black Defensive Tile (min cost 4)

Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Increases Strike and Defensive tile strength to x
    Level 3: x damage
    Level 4: Increases strike and defensive tile strength to x
    Level 5: x damage
    Max Level: Deals x damage, creates a x strength purple strike tile and black defensive tile.

This skill or something similar would tie all of loki's skills together. His purple for his annoyance, his black which can switch tiles, and his own tile generation, I would love to see something like this, you can fight over the damage and strength of tiles, but this kind of skill would fit perfectly into what Loki is, and give us a new guy to go after.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gah! My eyes!

Please use a different green. icon_cool.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Gah! My eyes!

Lol, how's that now?
  • I'm kind of burnt out on characters that generate strike tiles. I'd rather Loki stay a utility guy.

I've always thought his third power should be one where he casts an illusion/hologram of your team that acts as a damage mitigator (it randomizes from 25%-100%) for a set number of turns.

This would probably be impossible given the architecture of the UI, but an ability that scrambles the colors needed to launch abilities would be pretty wild. If you find yourself deficient in a certain color, or your enemy overloaded in a color they need .. you can have Loki scramble them and take your chances.

Imagine building up your red to launch an uber-Patch attack and AI-Loki scrambles your color to black instead. icon_lol.gif
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    This would probably be impossible given the architecture of the UI, but an ability that scrambles the colors needed to launch abilities would be pretty wild. If you find yourself deficient in a certain color, or your enemy overloaded in a color they need .. you can have Loki scramble them and take your chances.

A way to pull off the same effect would be to change the color of the tiles already collected by the other player.

Example - Red becomes Green, Green becomes Yellow, Yellow becomes Blue, Blue becomes Purple, Purple becomes Black, Black becomes Red.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Gah! My eyes!

Lol, how's that now?

Excellent!

Green is typically used for strike tile creation (Wolverine and son, Punisher) AoE attacks (BSBW, MN.THor) or board shake-ups (Both Storms, Hulk, IW, Rags, Jugs)
    [Ares kinda seems like odd man out here, but that seems typical of his character.]

I think Loki definitely needs a direct damage attack, not another board control skill. He doesn't seem as aggressive as the strikers, so that basically leaves AoE style. Maybe add a couple of conditions to keep with the mischief theme, like say maybe tie it to a tile of the most common color on the board?

Yeah, you can tell I'm not a game designer icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Regardless of what else Green could do, he is a bad **** sorcery in addition to be a trickster, as such, if you get in his face he shoudl be able to blast you with his magic, from a character design point it makes no sense that he cant'.
  • I'd really like for him to have some power that gives the enemy either strike or protect tiles -- it's quite dissatisfying that he has a power that's only usable against certain enemies or when combined with Patch.

Perhaps Trickery itself could be modified:

Trickery 12 AP
    Loki’s trickery turns the enemy’s tools against them, converting enemy Protect tiles to friendly Strike tiles and enemy Strike tiles to friendly Protect tiles. If there are no enemy tiles to convert, Loki converts a basic color tile to 1 strike tile and 1 protect tile for each side (max 100 strike, 60 protect).

Level 2: Creates 1 strike tile and 2 protect tiles for each side
    Level 3: Creates 2 strike tiles and 2 protect tiles for each side
    Level 4: Creates 2 strike tiles and 3 protect tiles for each side
    Level 5: Creates 3 strike tiles and 3 protect tiles for each side
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I'm kind of burnt out on characters that generate strike tiles. I'd rather Loki stay a utility guy.
    I'd also like to see some new mechanics. Maybe a countdown tile that has an effect while it's in play, rather than when it triggers? Or a damage skill based on the AP of your opponent?
  • Phaserhawk
    I'd really like for him to have some power that gives the enemy either strike or protect tiles -- it's quite dissatisfying that he has a power that's only usable against certain enemies or when combined with Patch.

The flip side to this though, is while it does make him a niche character, it would allow the 3rd skill to do more or have more power because of this. So why Loki would be insanely powerful against Patch, he would be okay or sucky to say an IM40 or BWGS
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    this thread is relevant to my interests.
  • I think they should just give Loki a red 'Eldritch Blast' or something and be done with it.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    The fastest way to turn him into a popular character would be to make his green either a heal or a stun. Wishful thinking, I know!

I like the idea of a skill that places both friendly and enemy buff tiles, so his black ability has wider utility. I also like the idea of countdowns that do something while they're active, instead when they fire off. But with Loki I'd like to see them carry on with the chaos and mischief theme.

* An ability that adds X number of tiles (something not obviously overpowered) of the most common color. If you don't make a match, the purple ability is at least more likely to do something interesting.

* An ability that converts X number of tiles into environment tiles. I'd like to see more characters with skills that use environment tiles in general. But I'd also like to see the environment abilities tweaked, so that more of them are useful.

* An ability that drains the enemy's AP, doing damage for each AP drained.
  • Phaserhawk
    Judging from the looks and comments I think a lot of people want to play Loki, he just doens't do anything other than shuffle the board and switch tiles, and there are other characters that shuffle the board, while not as efficient, with more damage, and the switch tiles only works when the enemy has some, so black can be a bit underwhelming. Lets keep this thread near the top, and get Loki a 3rd Skill!!!!!!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I kinda want the 3rd ability to mess with Thor (and any other red-yellow-green character) in some way. And it absolutely has to be named "I do what I want".