(Ideas Needed) Fun Ways to Grind Runes

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
Hello!

As the title states -- I'm looking for fun ideas for grinding runes. My Bolas is at 58 which means I need about 65K more to get him to 60. I have already played new NOP like old NOP (with the nastiest legacy decks I could come up with, completely disregarding the existence of objectives), been through heroic encounters with all of my PW (even L2 and L3 -- blech), and cleared Training Grounds Daily. 

Is anyone doing anything else, or do you have ideas for a challenge?

Thanks!
bk

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My theme this week is beginner decks. Hint : G3 is imbal. 
  • bk1234
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    My theme this week is beginner decks. Hint : G3 is imbal. 
    What should I do them in? General heroic encounters?

Also I can't do Koth -- because Invoker is the ONLY uncommon or common I am missing in the entire game ::scowls, pouts, and various related childish things::
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well for mining runes there's no substitute for heroic encounters. Unless you really really love TG.

I'm currently trying to complete rotgp with it. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree about Heroic Encounters and have spent more time there that I'm willing to admit.
    This mightn't even answer the question, but, theme builds vs. Heroic Encounters have been a source of fun for me.
    Lately I've been toying around with both Minotaurs and critter-less non-Ob Nix builds, both Standard.
    The former is limiting to only Red/Black but I adore Sarkhan already.
    The latter has, for me, been less-than-successful.
    I started with Jace I and did fine but couldn't pull it off with a Standard build.
    I switched to Saheeli and was less successful in Heroic Encounters but surprisingly dominating in level 3 of the Pharoah-God event without relying on thopters.
    Sarkhan was the next attempt but I'd found that he was too dependent on making tokens and that kind of betrayed the whole critter-less thing.
    Anyway, just a thought.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    On the legacy PvE events, if you replay one of the final node fights, it gives 200 runes instead of 100.  I usually use one of those fights as a pseudo-training grounds, testing decks unless the big bosses.  Its a nice challenge, although very frustrating at times

Note:  I have not tried this for the Oath events, but I assume it will still hold
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I guess HE are the fastest way to get those runes... But it's such a grind... 

What i would suggest you is... Leave Bolas at 58... In my opinion, its such a MASSIVE amount of runes just to take his last skill to level 4, which is a bit meh... Bring zombies to the battlefield and deal some damage, which if im correct, having 3 zombies in the battlefield would be... 27 hp damage? That you can do it only by cycling 6 cards with faith of the devoted down... and if you also have heaven's drake you get a 12/12 aditional... with so many colors/options available with this PW... the zombies tactic is not really worth it... just my opinion.
    Otherwise... be ready to smash your head against Heroic Encounters a million times :P
  • bk1234
    Options
    I’m playing lord of Extinction so his ult it great to reinforce it. 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm personally enjoying gong back and cleaning out story mode objectives.  If you've done it all I guess sitting on heroic with self-imposed handicaps could be entertaining.

Single set only restrictions are my current distraction there.
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @bken1234. I have a lord of extinction (Actually two!!! Go Go RNG) but it always seemed meh for the 21 casting cost. How are you getting good use out of it?
  • bk1234
    Options
    @ManiiNames -- I'm pairing it with Lost Legacy in Bolas -- basically I'm using Days Undoing to pull them out and Wildfire Elemental and Baral to push out as many spells and Lost Legacies as possible then I drop Lord of Extinction. I got him up to 100 the other day and was so excited!

Creatures:
    Lord of Extinction (B/G, 21 mana)
    Wildfire Elemental (R, 21 mana)
    Baral, Chief of Compliance (U, 8 mana)

Supports:
    Sphinx's Tutelage (U, 6 mana)
    Omniscience (U, 17 mana)

Spells:
    Lost Legacy (B, 12 mana)
    Days Undoing (U, 10 mana)
    Reason / Believe (U,G, 11 mana)
    Grind / Dust (W,B, 13 mana)
    Exquisite Firecraft (R, 6 mana)
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    honestly dont think i can add a lot but i would grind heroic an hour a day and you will get there, I know not great advice but consistentcy is the key in this game and a lot of others, not fun but bit by bit you get there. Not looking forwards to getting bolas  up there when i can get him for crystals, but have been saving up runes, should be up to 240k runes by then hope it is enough.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The total cost to level him up to 60 is about 320k runes.
  • bk1234
    Options
    I’m currently getting the best out of PVE. Got tons from Oath and made some silly decks that I can’t really play anywhere else