PvP matchmaking/ranking mechanics

Options
Posting a quick question here in case it has been figured out- how does PvP matchmaking interact with clearance levels and ranking?  When I am in the 2nd-lowest Clearance for a PvP event, are the people running 4- and 5-star characters slumming for easy wins (and worthless rewards, I would think), or am I being matchmade with players outside of my Clearance?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You get matched with the same teams regardless of what CL you play in.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Although it is counter-intuitive (especially compared to how it works in Story mode), SCL in Versus events has no effect on anything except for what your rewards are, and which 1000 people you're competing against (via your points) for those rewards.

The actual matches you play and the teams you're offered have nothing to do at all with what SCL you chose.

Welcome to the forums :)
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

So what I'm taking away here is, since my opponents have nothing at all to do with SCL, I should pick the highest SCL in which I can still manage satisfactorily high placement for rewards? Is there a hidden "matchmaking ranking" that is used to determine the opponents with which I am presented, or is that solely based on the ranking of those players and them being randomly distributed as opponents to people in greater number with their higher rank?
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jwallyr said:
    Thanks for the welcome.

So what I'm taking away here is, since my opponents have nothing at all to do with SCL, I should pick the highest SCL in which I can still manage satisfactorily high placement for rewards? Is there a hidden "matchmaking ranking" that is used to determine the opponents with which I am presented, or is that solely based on the ranking of those players and them being randomly distributed as opponents to people in greater number with their higher rank?
    Your matchmaking ranking is based on your roster strength and your score.

The opponents you receive will have a team out which is "close" in strength to your matchmaking ranking, and "near" your score. 

"close" and "near" seem to widen if there aren't enough unshielded teams "close" enough and "near" enough.