HoR opinion poll

TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hey guys let's ride on the passion of the HoR announcement and give a clear and easy to read poll for @Brigby to Oktagon. Should HoR or RGP be legacy?

HoR opinion poll 64 votes

They both should be legacy.
10%
FiddlerWiLDRAGEYawgmoth[Deleted User]GormhausALEJANDROIDQuiksilverHg 7 votes
HoR should, but not RGP.
1%
Igemon 1 vote
RGP should, but not HoR.
53%
AmoXJSbk1234andrewvanmarlekhurramMainloop25Daddystyxoctal9mrixl2520LagarthaHoudinHesturkFurordracoCiotogwereotterUweTellkampfSarahschmaraElimGaraktfg76GilescloneElfNeedsFood 34 votes
Neither of them should be legacy.
34%
majincobmadwrenspan_argomanChad739speakupaskanswerbabar3355klobbererSteemeGrizzoMtGPQMDsupaOhboyMachinerafaleleThéséePhillmooreSorin81DropspotMatthewBeclasFirinmahlazer 22 votes

Comments

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    Starting things off, I think HoR should remain standard to keep out some of the more power  creep effected cards, but I think a shift to legacy for RGP would be more fun and might make things feel a little less grindy for those who like to experiment.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    I think both should remain standard, but if one of them needed to be changed to legacy that must be RGP.
  • Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    Making RGP legacy would help new players defeat the harder bosses with their limited card collection without hurting other new players in the process. Making HoR legacy will pit new players up against impossible decks full of Olivia and Pig with no cards to counter those assaults. 

I can not fathom how stupid this decision was. 
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    They both should be legacy.
    I think tbere should be an equal number of legacy and standard events.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Current set events should be standard and all older events should be legacy if they are from legacy blocks.

That said, it could be fun to reverse all events type one week a month.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Rgp should be legacy the same reason why hor needs to stay legacy.

It's a soft landing for new and weaker players. 

Just like how power creep will cause havoc in pvp events, so it will for pve ones. Compare for example the power increase between each pve since conception.

Bolas is Objectively harder than his predecessor. That he is easier is only due to a quirk in mechanics, not power level. 
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 542 Critical Contributor
    I see little wrong with making Rgp legacy however I feel that both should remain standard. Both being events from the current set.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    Ohboy said:

Bolas is Objectively harder than his predecessor. That he is easier is only due to a quirk in mechanics, not power level. 
    I actually disagree with you on this point. I thought Tezzeret was an awful match where I could only win with cycling.

Against Bolas I could play any style of deck, though creatureless was best, and still have a higher chance to win against him. Playing creatures may have lessened my chances against him, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the token making, support creating, energized based monster that could topple even the quickest or most controlling decks available.

I think leaving HoR as Standard keeps players in line and retains a mode of play that even newer players can have a shot at winning. Allowing Pig/Olivia/etc will have a chance to make them not want to try to compete against the same 5 Koth decks that are built. If they want that, they can go to the training ground.
  • Ohboy
    Bosses have power creep too. That's what standard hopes to cut off.

Tezz wasn't really nearly as bad as bolas. In fact most veterans could beat him quite handily with a variety of strategies on the first pass.

I would be very surprised if the veteran players chimed in and told me bolas was easier or even comparable to tezz. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    Ohboy said:
    Bosses have power creep too. That's what standard hopes to cut off.

Tezz wasn't really nearly as bad as bolas. In fact most veterans could beat him quite handily with a variety of strategies on the first pass.

I would be very surprised if the veteran players chimed in and told me bolas was easier or even comparable to tezz. 

Are you serious? Tezz2 was really hard to crack for a while. As soon as people caught on to the strategy of not using creatures neutralizes half his threats,  Bolas was the easiest boss to beat. He's not even the hardest node in that pie. For me, my only ever loss to bolas was when I went in blind the very first time I played that node. 

Bolas wasn't really nearly as bad as Tezz. In fact most veterans could beat him quite handily with a variety of strategies on the first pass.

There, fixed that quote for ya.
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    Sounds good so finally I can beat NB faster
  • Ohboy
    Like I said before, bolas is easy to beat because of a technicality. Not because he's weaker. Tezz was weaker in a straight up fight.

If you didn't attack that technical weakness, bolas would be a harder hill to overcome. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    The only way that would be true is if it were a requirement to cast creatures to hit an objective. Otherwise, exploiting such a glaring weakness makes it such an easy battle that no so-called veteran would have trouble finding it.
  • Ohboy
    OK let's put it this way. 

Not everyone has an easy time exploiting that weakness that makes it go from epic level danger to cute bunny. 

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    I have no opinion on these events in particular, but I'd suggest that as a general rule, the more variety in events, the better.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor

All current events should be Standard, as it is a lot more fun to play with new cards.

Making the coalition PVE event Legacy near the end of the block would have been the change of pace they were looking for, though, because you still have the option of running full Standard if you wanted to.

Making HoR Legacy is a show-stopper for me.  Forcing me to revert to prior sets and having to either deal with ridiculous cycle decks, 4 x low-cost kill spell decks, or deployed rattlechains decks, coupled with Enraged mechanics and stupid objectives, is just making my job and this other game (called "redacted") much more enjoyable.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Steeme said:

Making HoR Legacy is a show-stopper for me.  Forcing me to revert to prior sets and having to either deal with ridiculous cycle decks, 4 x low-cost kill spell decks, or deployed rattlechains decks, coupled with Enraged mechanics and stupid objectives, is just making my job and this other game (called "redacted") much more enjoyable.

[REDACTED] is a pretty cool game. We should start a thread about it :)
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    RGP should, but not HoR.
    It is shown as standard ingame. Just a labeling mistake? Or: actually listening to us?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards

Ohboy said:

Hiya :)

Honestly, I dunno about that. It took me quite a few attempts before I had a deck which beat Tezz every time, and that deck had a lot of moving parts... I'd take my Ob deck and swap in 4 cards specifically for that matchup (by hand. The good old days!). Towards the end of the cycle I'd feel happier throwing together something as an experiment, and these decks would be fine.. usually... and then Tezz would get a big old cascade and beat them.

And some of the moving parts in my Tezz deck were there to exploit *his* technicalities. I ran Deadlock Trap to lock down his tokens. I couldn't energize, but that was OK, because Tezz did it for me.

Ohboy said:
    OK let's put it this way. 

Not everyone has an easy time exploiting that weakness that makes it go from epic level danger to cute bunny. 
    Again, I dunno about that. I've seen people in the general chat channel in Slack talk of beating him by just throwing spells like Exquisite Firecraft or even Lightning Javelin at his face. It took them ages, tho :)
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    I have no preference for legacy or standard events. So long as there are more events to keep me playing, I am happy. Maybe d3go can have both legacy and standard formats of HoR and RotGP running on alternate weeks.