A new way to score PvE events

Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
What if instead of "boss health" which depends on the number of people who play the event across the entire community, it was a race to score a certain amount of points? Like, make it a 4-day event. The first coalition to score 20,000 points as a team wins. Reward tiers stay the same, first two coals get the grand prize. Next 10 to score 20k get the next round of prizes, and so on. 

This structure not only rewards those who have mastered the event as a group, but it lets everyone else finish at their own pace. No need to change progression rewards for individuals either. Win-win.

I believe 20,000 as a group is a good starting point for a goal because it takes somewhere around 48 hours to score 1000 points as a veteran player scoring perfect or near -perfect per battle. 4-hour nodes are actually ok in this situation because you are actually racing toward a finite goal, rather than an ambiguous collection of points that become redundant and dependent on other coalitions. 
Tagged:

Comments

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Awesome idea!
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    The potential complaint is that you have a specific time at which everyone in the coalition has to play at in order to race to hit that threshold number. Which isn't ideal in a global game.
  • Mainloop25
    @majincob Ah yes that's a good point. I don't really have a good solution to that problem, do you? I mean, if you set the goal to something that can't be hit until 48hours of 20 people scoring perfectly, that's an acceptable amount of time for people to at least start to clear their nodes. 
  • majincob
    @majincob Ah yes that's a good point. I don't really have a good solution to that problem, do you? I mean, if you set the goal to something that can't be hit until 48hours of 20 people scoring perfectly, that's an acceptable amount of time for people to at least start to clear their nodes. 
    The problem isn't the start, using the current model, it's that there will always be an end point where the xth refresh is when it becomes possible to hit the magic number at which time everyone has to rush and get their games in to beat the next coalition.

Admittedly this is somewhat of a top 0.01% problem, but you still will have difficulty balancing event length such that top players won't beat it too quickly and newer/smaller coalitions still have a shot at it.

The solution would be to remove the competition aspect along with implementing coalition progression awards, but that opens up a whole new set of problems and may not be fun or desirable.

There was a thread from way back that had some great ideas, unfortunately I can't really look it up conveniently on my phone at work.
  • Mainloop25
    At a certain point you will have to concede that most coalitions don't have a realistic shot at finishing 1st. Top ten is more attainable but still difficult. This is no different than the current system. 
  • majincob
    At a certain point you will have to concede that most coalitions don't have a realistic shot at finishing 1st. Top ten is more attainable but still difficult. This is no different than the current system. 
    Exactly, that's why I'm not a fan of the current model even though I'm probably the single player most benefiting from it.

Events should give meaningful rewards for effort across all levels of play.