The Hulk Event - An FAQ

124»

Comments

• jozier wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Yeah I'm currently #1 but no desire to keep grinding on all 4 of these subs.

Just passed you and I haven't collected all the 500 iso rewards from Greenland or done a single mission in Canada.

Yeah rubberbanding is taking over. I haven't collected all the 500 ISO yet but I will do that at some point.

I've still got some 500 ISO in Canda, 1 left in Greeenland (the first one), and just got about 3500 points from running Our Big Hitters twice... I've now moved up to about #400 in the main event. Before these submissions started (aka, when the last ones ended) I was #12. Despite what I've said, I've been playing this pretty hard, grinding the earlier subs down to 0 repeatedly.

So I have no idea **** I'm doing wrong to wind up with such lousy scoring. I scored better last time around and still missed the 50k mark (but easily made top 300).

I think this is the real reason that rubber banding is so frustrating to a lot of people -- because even if you know the rules and try to play by them where you end up is seemingly random.
  • Zathrus wrote:

I've still got some 500 ISO in Canda, 1 left in Greeenland (the first one), and just got about 3500 points from running Our Big Hitters twice... I've now moved up to about #400 in the main event. Before these submissions started (aka, when the last ones ended) I was #12. Despite what I've said, I've been playing this pretty hard, grinding the earlier subs down to 0 repeatedly.

So I have no idea **** I'm doing wrong to wind up with such lousy scoring. I scored better last time around and still missed the 50k mark (but easily made top 300).

I think this is the real reason that rubber banding is so frustrating to a lot of people -- because even if you know the rules and try to play by them where you end up is seemingly random.

I'm about 900 in the main event right now and have only ground through the amazon missions and our big hitters in greenland. I ended up top 5000 last time and while I'd like to place better this time, I don't feel like I've played nearly enough to be anywhere close for that ranking at this moment.
  • I finished in the top 10 last time and honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I was busy for the first half of the tournament so I would play at random times, occasionally grind down a few missions, sometimes benefit from rubberbanding. I didn't do anything consistently.
  • it way too grindy for me. i basically just play each mission until i get the 500 iso reward, and then thats it. if you do this, you'll still get top 5000 for the hulk rewards in my experience.
  • First off, thanks so much for the FAQ. I couldn't understand why all of the sudden missions were worth so few points (I'm doing much better in this event than the last one), but this explained it and now I'm riding the rubber banding wave like a champ.

I'd like to know the best strategy for those final 12 hours, when we don't have subevents. Do those missions reset? Should you do them immediately or wait until later for the rubberbanding?
  • cjshrader wrote:
    First off, thanks so much for the FAQ. I couldn't understand why all of the sudden missions were worth so few points (I'm doing much better in this event than the last one), but this explained it and now I'm riding the rubber banding wave like a champ.

I'd like to know the best strategy for those final 12 hours, when we don't have subevents. Do those missions reset? Should you do them immediately or wait until later for the rubberbanding?

In the 1st Hulk event, the final missions in the last 12 hours were not repeatable. I did mine right away, so I don't know if rubber-banding impacted the points for those missions, but the impression I got was that waiting didn't make a large impact for people, since the top people weren't gaining enough points for rubber-banding to kick in for others.

So, your position going into the last 12 hours isn't likely to change much in either direction. Make sure you're where you want to be before that final period kicks in.
  • I could be crazy but I could swear they actually were repeatable, they had the normal stack.
  • cjshrader wrote:
    I could be crazy but I could swear they actually were repeatable, they had the normal stack.

You could repeat the missions for rewards, but they ceased giving points after the first run.
  • You could repeat the missions for rewards, but they ceased giving points after the first run.

Ah, I must be misremembering then. Thanks!
  • This is useful.
  • tl;dr

Rubberbanding is ruining everything!!! Can someone please tell me why the @&$! I'm getting penalized for playing more????
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Jachdo wrote:
    tl;dr

Rubberbanding is ruining everything!!! Can someone please tell me why the @&$! I'm getting penalized for playing more????

You joke (I hope), but that was a very common thought/question at the time. Almost as much as scaling is today.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:
    tl;dr

You joke (I hope), but that was a very common thought/question at the time. Almost as much as scaling is today.

Of course icon_e_wink.gif. I'm just as tired of reading the same stuff as you are.

Fantastic post, Nemek!
  • Oh, wow.

I remember this FAQ from waaaaay back in the day when I first stated MPQ and well before I caved in and decided to join the forums.

Excellent FAQ, Nemek! Although minor details have changed in this iteration of the Hulk event, your core message from December still holds true today.

Bonus kudos from my other half as well, as she is big Peyton Manning fan.
  • Nice post Nemek. Nice to see some of the big dogs sharing their tricks.