Character rankings 3/2014 edition: vote now!

mischiefmaker
mischiefmaker Posts: 932
edited March 2014 in MPQ Character Discussion
Seems like a lot of people enjoyed the character rankings post from a couple of months ago. I was going to wait to do an update until all the announced balancing changes go in, but there have been a ton of changes to the meta, a bunch of new characters, and some very impactful balancing changes already, so let's do another round!

Same as last time, the concept is easy: rank all the characters from best to worst, using whatever criteria you like. When you're done, put your username in bold and I'll add your vote to an overall average ranking. I'll keep voting open for 1 week or until we get 10 ballots, whichever happens last, so if you want to have your vote be counted, go do it now!

Ranking sheet is here.

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I put in my votes.

I don't understand why people have ranked Magneto MN's red power as the worst red power. For 14 red, it does a lot of damage and generates 25 AP. Combine that with Hood's yellow, and C. Storm's green, and you can get unlimited power.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Powers pages seem lacking (maybe they have not been updated from before?)

Psylocke/Black Panther don't appear on any powers list.
    Only one Wolverine listed on R/G/Y powers lists.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Accidentally modified Gobstopper's list. I tried to undo all my changes: sorry!
  • I figured the power ranking by color was based on old data from a previous poll and left them alone.

Anyways, there is already more than 10 ballots submitted or at least "in-progress" on the sheet. A larger sample size is always good and the diversity in the ballots so far is rather interesting to look at.
  • I can't seem to figure out how to vote....
  • ***Magneto
    Black panther
    Spiderman
    Patches
    Punisher
    Hulk
    Obw
    Hood
    Psylocke
    Grey suit
    Doom
    Ares
    Im40
    Ragnarok
    Thor
    Dakan
    Wolvie
    Daredevil
    Loki
    IW
    C.storm
    Moonstone
    **magneto
    Cpt. America
    Xforce
    Hawkeye
    Bullseye
    Bagman

1* not included due to being so weak. Storm could probably be put at around **magneto-Hawkeye range. Higher except, no hp. Everyone else basically is below bullseye but above Bagman...except yelena...who is last.

Android phones don't like google docs.
  • Accidentally modified Gobstopper's list. I tried to undo all my changes: sorry!
    Understandable, our lists are pretty similar
  • Great Post!

Added my ranking icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    I put in my vote. Disclaimer: I don't have enough experience with the **** characters to really know where they are. I took my best guess.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Edited due to Panther nerf.

----Mandatory tier----
    Patch
    C.Mags
    Spidey
    ----Viable tier----
    Panther
    Punisher
    Hulk
    Psylocke
    Hood
    IM40
    OBW
    IW
    Doom
    GSBW
    Daken
    Ares
    Thor
    Wolvie
    Rags
    C.Storm
    Mn.Mags
    ----Barely usable tier----
    M.Storm
    Cap
    Moonstone
    M.Hawkeye
    Loki
    DD
    ----Newb tier----
    Juggs
    M.BW
    Bullseye
    IM35
    Venom
    C.Hawkeye
    ----Joke tier----
    XForce
    Bagman
    Yelena

(I hope I didn't miss a character)

I think the most jarring change for me since the last one was GSBW. She didn't change herself, but many others did around her that affected her. Rags nerf, rise of OBW, introduction of BP.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I appreciate you doing this! I don't feel like I know enough about all the characters to actually vote yet, but it's extremely interesting and edifying to see the responses. Have you considered using a free survey service? We use SurveyMonkey where I work. I'm not shilling for them, I swear! But that would make it easier to vote, it would sort, tabulate and (to a limited extent) analyze all the data for you, and you wouldn't have the problem of people accidentally writing over someone else's votes.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    The columns seem to be filled.
  • Wow, what a great turnout so far! Thanks to everyone who's already voted; looks like we'll be able to wrap this one up pretty quickly. If you voted and didn't leave your name, please fill it in so I know who to thank later (and not attack when I see you in PvP)!

Rankings of power by color are indeed a holdover from last time; feel free to ignore those. I didn't delete the sheets because I figured maybe we'll do a ranking eventually, but not just now. I also added some additional columns and moved Nonce Equitaur's vote up with everyone else's.

soenottelling, I added your vote to the sheet. I put mStorm at #25, exactly halfway between **Magneto and Mawkeye, and I left five spaces blank to remind myself that you want IM35, Venom, Chawkeye, Juggernaut, and mBW all tied between Bullseye and Bag Man. BTW, the Google Drive app for Android phones is pretty good.

ihearthawthats, I added your vote to the sheet as well.

I did consider using surveymonkey or something like that, but when I was doing my own rankings I felt like it was really helpful to be able to move names up and down, which is a lot easier in spreadsheet form than in survey form. I wanted to make it as easy as possible to vote, to increase the response rate, so that's why I went with google docs. Maybe next time I'll go with surveymonkey -- correcting all the names and averaging them is kind of a pain.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe next time I'll go with surveymonkey -- correcting all the names and averaging them is kind of a pain.

Next time, list the names once and put numbers next to them. It's easier to move around numbers than names.

Another possible list might be -- suppose there was an event where each character had levels added as a buff, from 0 to 350 levels. How many levels would you add to each character to balance them? Here's my first crack at it.

000 Wolverine (Patch)
    000 Spider-Man
    000 Black Panther
    000 Magneto (classic)
    010 Punisher
    010 Hulk
    020 The Hood
    020 Black Widow (grey)
    030 Psylocke
    030 Iron Man (Model 40)
    030 Black Widow (original)
    040 Storm (classic)
    040 Doctor Doom
    040 Ragnarok
    050 Ares
    060 Thor
    060 Wolverine (X-Force)
    070 Magneto (Marvel Now)
    080 Moonstone
    080 Daken
    085 Captain America
    090 Wolverine (yellow)
    090 Hawkeye (modern)
    090 Venom
    100 Invisible Woman
    110 Black Widow (Modern)
    110 Juggernaut
    120 Iron Man (Model 35)
    120 Daredevil
    120 Loki
    120 Storm (modern)
    150 Hawkeye (classic)
    180 Bullseye
    200 Bag Man
    220 Yelena Belova
  • mischiefmaker
    mischiefmaker Posts: 932
    edited March 2014
    Really? I'd have a really hard time ordering them by moving numbers around (that's how surveys generally work, if I recall correctly).

Anyway, I've input the first twenty votes. There were a couple issues:

walkyourpath, you ranked Hawkeye (modern) twice.
    anonymous user 1, you ranked Psylocke twice.
    lleywen, you ranked Hulk twice.
  • Really? I'd have a really hard time ordering them by moving numbers around (that's how surveys generally work, if I recall correctly).

Same here!

That one was there when I started mine. It didn't look like anyone was editing it so I squeezed mine in before it. Originally I thought it was just a dummy list of all the characters until I saw her name twice.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Really? I'd have a really hard time ordering them by moving numbers around (that's how surveys generally work, if I recall correctly).

Anyway, I've input the first twenty votes. There were a couple issues:

Radav and walkyourpath, you both ranked Hawkeye (modern) twice.
    lleywen, you ranked Hulk twice.

Thank you for pointing that out. I looked over my list more then a few times trying to figure out who I doubled up cause I know I was missing Storm (Modern).

Edit* Fixed it!
  • Got it -- put your vote in.

I've decided I'm not going to count anonymous votes, since they might be just someone's workspace that they forgot to delete. If you voted anonymously, enter your name, or your vote gets lost!
  • ok thanks. corrected.
    I missed Thor (since he nerfed, i forgot his existence) icon_mrgreen.gif
  • OzarkBoatswain
    Based on today's nerf, should I reconsider Black Panther's placement or just leave it as it is?