*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mondo wrote:
    * We should come up with an easy abbreviation to differentiate 2* and 3*. I'm hoping Thor and SuperThor catches on.
    I already came up with some common ones we'll probably see and put them in the abbreviations thread I have going.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3600

Here's what I got for 2* Thor and 3* Thor at the moment. We'll see what the forum ends up gravitating to and I'll update as needed.

Thor (Marvel NOW!)
    2* Thor
    MNThor
    ThorMN

Thor (Modern)
    3* Thor
    mThor
    Modern Thor

Thor & CopyPasThor
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    People are complaining that this 3Thor is lazy, but to me, it's fine, considering I enjoyed all the previous new heroes (except maybe I. Woman, because I can't seem to get her, lol)
  • I wouldnt mind a 3* storm. (;
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Judging by the frenzy of grinding, 3* Thor is a very hot property. I went through every sub mission twice and I am ranked 3500+ and falling not even 5 hours in.
  • This sounds...bad. gold foiling is basically power creep to the utmost and a lazy way to get new characters in. While I don't mind it necessarily here with a single character, becoming a new thing for them is going to be bad. What next? Xforce is just turned into a 9k hp patches? They nerf magneto and spidey and then drop 4**** varients that are almost exactly.the dame but better...so you question if the old characters were basucally just destroyed so you would get the new ones? This is a bad bad way for the game to go ...at least imo.

If anything, they should have given him old thor abilities. 6 ap red and what not. At least that would be different.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Come on guys, it's pretty obvious. 3* Thor should be called Goldilocks.
  • How about Pointbreak?
  • The way I came up with the current abbreviations was just seeing what the forum members adopted. It'll be a while until something takes hold for 3* Thor so I've just put those in there for the time being.
  • This sounds...bad. gold foiling is basically power creep to the utmost and a lazy way to get new characters in. While I don't mind it necessarily here with a single character, becoming a new thing for them is going to be bad. What next? Xforce is just turned into a 9k hp patches? They nerf magneto and spidey and then drop 4**** varients that are almost exactly.the dame but better...so you question if the old characters were basucally just destroyed so you would get the new ones? This is a bad bad way for the game to go ...at least imo.

If anything, they should have given him old thor abilities. 6 ap red and what not. At least that would be different.

Oh god I would kill for a lvl 230 Patch. I have been hoarding ISO and covers for 4*Wolverine waiting for the eventual nerf, and if all they did was take Patch and raise the level cap, I would be so happy, and would gladly spend the ISO to level him up. I am also probably in the minority.

On the topic of Thor, I personally am excited. I got really lucky/spent some real money and as a consequence basically skipped the 2* character stage of development, and have therefore basically never used Thor. I am excited to eventually build up a Gold Thor, assuming covers are relatively readily available as tournament rewards.
  • Gigas Breaker
    Gigas Breaker Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Hahaha! Yep. That is a three star Thor alright.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Lazy and Boring. There's no point in leveling a 2* Thor because his exact role is replaced completely.

I mean, Astonishing Wolverine and Patch Wolverine are similar, but fill in teams differently. Patch works really well with AOE Nukers (BP, Modern Storm, Punisher) to finish a game in a single nuker turn, while Astonishing is probably better with lower-hp multiattackers (Original Widow, Psylocke) by safely increasing damage throughout the match.

Why spend any time on 2* Thor when all that work would be irrelevant in the long run?
  • This is ****. Absolute ****.

First, they nerf a character (which was a good idea). But people spent tons of hours looking for Thor's covers and wasting a ton of ISO.

Now, they introduce the EXACT SAME CHARACTER THEY NERFED, WHICH IS LAZY AS ****, and now they want us to spend WAY more time and WAY more ISO on it.

Either they give us the chance to one-click upgrade Thor ** to Thor *** keeping the levels and covers, or this is it.

Thor ** is now obsolete. Where is this "FUNBALANCE" you talked about, D3? Uh? Where is it now?

This was the worst move they did, they just stepped on their own shoes.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    This sounds...bad. gold foiling is basically power creep to the utmost and a lazy way to get new characters in. While I don't mind it necessarily here with a single character, becoming a new thing for them is going to be bad. What next? Xforce is just turned into a 9k hp patches? They nerf magneto and spidey and then drop 4**** varients that are almost exactly.the dame but better...so you question if the old characters were basucally just destroyed so you would get the new ones? This is a bad bad way for the game to go ...at least imo.

Oh god I would kill for a lvl 230 Patch. I have been hoarding ISO and covers for 4*Wolverine waiting for the eventual nerf, and if all they did was take Patch and raise the level cap, I would be so happy, and would gladly spend the ISO to level him up. I am also probably in the minority.

On the topic of Thor, I personally am excited. I got really lucky/spent some real money and as a consequence basically skipped the 2* character stage of development, and have therefore basically never used Thor. I am excited to eventually build up a Gold Thor, assuming covers are relatively readily available as tournament rewards.

I am sure he would be great...but greatly broken too lol. What would he heal, 800 hp a turn? His red would wipe anybody out without thinking and his green, while it would wipe your team out, would make a character that can get some quick attacks out to take advantage of it pretty insane. The meta would simply be xforce/quick attack/stunner. I mean, i see that a lot with patch already...but it would be at a new level and a good deal harder to deal with.

Besides that, no I wouldn't really like it to be the case as diversity is good.

Also, they are pushing characters out faster than usual. Nee business model to make it harder to complete characters just via winning tournements? Quite possibly.
  • also his name is lazy thor. Not goldilocks, gold thor, mthor, 3** thor, nor thor+. Lazy thor. Every "gold foiled" version of a character should be called lazy x as well from now on too.
  • mytisbrewin
    mytisbrewin Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Nemek wrote:
    From patch notes:
    New Hero Available via this event: Thor (Modern)
    Thor (Modern) is much like his 2* variant, but with slightly modified powers and (of course) the ability to level to a max of 141 like other 3* characters. Thor is the first of his kind for this style of powering up of a character. 2* and 3* forms of Thor, while similar are still considered different versions of the same character as with any other more full variant like Black Widow (Modern) and Black Widow (Original).

I don't like different versions of characters at all, but this basically stops you selling 2*Thor for 3*Thor as they could, like they do with black widow, make a certain version of the character essential for particular missions/tournaments.

I like the idea of a 3*Thor if your 2* version could convert into him and you could choose to build up the extra levels or not.
  • I've already been mentioning my growing concern over cover dilution so this is a bit disappointing to me. Hey - I can go through what I already went through, only more! icon_rolleyes.gif

All the more disappointing as I rarely use T2 anymore. Not because he isn't cool or a great workhorse, but because he doesn't synergize well with *** characters. And now there's yet another *** to fight over green. This just doesn't seem to add much to the game.

Also, the claim went out that varients were being avoided moving forward and that they wanted to encourage roster diversity so I get the feeling that nobody is really in charge at D3 and that the direction moving forward is not set and possibly very reactive. These kind of inconsistencies (plus the scaling debacle that has been going on through several events now, and the ridiculous length of the PVEs with barely any story to move them forward) make me hold on to my money. I just don't have confidence in the vendor. I feel like I'm one or two more "gotchas" away from quitting and based on the tone of these forums, I'm not alone. A mass exodus may shut the game down for everyone... We'll see.

For the record, I think this is a great game and I'm hopeful Demiurge will get things straitened out soon and back to the fun the game was a couple months ago. A lot of us were screaming for more new content back then when Demiurge was pushing for quality. Now we want the quality to go back up. It was slower, but a lot more satisfying. I think management just needs to take a breath and funbalance their culture a bit. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I'm now very happy I sold my 2* Thor when his price was high, and I've so far not put any ISO into my rebuilt version. I might as well save it for this new version. With a potentially large health pool and a great ability to generate greens, he could definitely be a new best friend for BWGS.
  • I would be more OK with this if they somehow let you upgrade your 2* Thor into your 3*, as some of you have already mentioned.

So if the "gold foiled" versions are direct upgrades with no new skill sets.....then you sacrifice your 2* and your 3* version starts at level 70, or somesuch.
  • Mizake wrote:
    I would be more OK with this if they somehow let you upgrade your 2* Thor into your 3*, as some of you have already mentioned.

So if the "gold foiled" versions are direct upgrades with no new skill sets.....then you sacrifice your 2* and your 3* version starts at level 70, or somesuch.

Being able to turn thor into lazy thor is a bit ridiculous. They should have a full iso refund for selling your thor though if you want imo. That would give ppl the iso back, which is half of the equation. Turing a 2** into a 3*** would be ridiculous, but swapping the iso over isn't. Based on the past, the best you are gonna get is maybe a half iso refund with a little.hp attached. Most likely nothing though.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mizake wrote:
    I would be more OK with this if they somehow let you upgrade your 2* Thor into your 3*, as some of you have already mentioned.

Being able to turn thor into lazy thor is a bit ridiculous. They should have a full iso refund for selling your thor though if you want imo. That would give ppl the iso back, which is half of the equation. Turing a 2** into a 3*** would be ridiculous, but swapping the iso over isn't. Based on the past, the best you are gonna get is maybe a half iso refund with a little.hp attached. Most likely nothing though.

There aren't going to be enough people with enough lazythor covers to actually make the transition. Seems like offering a refund is a recipe for disaster if the people think that their 1/1/1 lazythor is actually going to replace a maxed out thor.