*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Nerf thorverine only to remake them into 3* thor and patch. BRILLIANT!
  • 4eric16
    4eric16 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    I agree.. They have to come up with new skills. Its a little dissapointing. For the first time I'm not motivated to play the Hulk tournament
  • Thanos wrote:
    I'm hoping his abilities are just place holders while they hammer out his real abilities. They have nine days to get it done.

Seems unlikely. It looks like the idea is upgraded 2*
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    4eric16 wrote:
    I agree.. They have to come up with new skills. Its a little dissapointing. For the first time I'm not motivated to play the Hulk tournament

This isn't necessarily true: think of these as filler characters that still add something new to the game while allowing the devs to focus their time elsewhere. Would you prefer that they added this character or didn't add anything at all? Hopefully they do add something that lets us put our 2* levels towards this guy or something.

What do people think about this guy in the existing meta? 141 Thor could be a pretty strong character due to him actually having a relevant yellow.
  • Abilities aren't quite the same. More like the old version of Thor before he was nerfed. The yellow ability creates more green, and the green conversion gets better with more covers.
  • I'm interested to see what the "gold character" mechanics are before passing judgement. If they're handed out just like any other 3-star, I don't think I like it. If they somehow involve upgrading your 2-stars or using your surplus covers, it might be interesting.
  • Thor was one of those characters that the computer can't possibly play incorrectly and he was valuable for that, even now. So of course he'll be viable, but it's hard to guess which end of the power spectrum he falls under without seeing level 141 + max cover stats.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    From patch notes:
    New Hero Available via this event: Thor (Modern)
    Thor (Modern) is much like his 2* variant, but with slightly modified powers and (of course) the ability to level to a max of 141 like other 3* characters. Thor is the first of his kind for this style of powering up of a character. 2* and 3* forms of Thor, while similar are still considered different versions of the same character as with any other more full variant like Black Widow (Modern) and Black Widow (Original).
  • I am neutral about Gold Thor. Two star Thor was my workhorse back then and I could see a lot of people liking being able to continue using their favorite character even after they have progressed. I would rather see different abilities like Patch vs. Xmen Wolverine, but doing something like this doesn't seem to require much design effort and frees them up to do other new characters.

It does seem like it will dilute new players' ability to collect enough viable three star covers the more duplicate characters there are, though.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    a completely different character with same powerset is kinda a **** move.
    If people were able to drain the ISO from their ** into the *** version it'd be one thing, but this is just sad icon_e_sad.gif
  • This whole idea is completely ridiculous.

Is there really anyone who wants to level these characters and abilities again? Give us new characters for gods sake.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    dlaw008 wrote:
    It does seem like it will dilute new players' ability to collect enough viable three star covers the more duplicate characters there are, though.

Yup, and almost all of the newest characters have been 3*, I think Ares was the only non 3* recently. Its already less than a 3% chance of getting a 3* cover from a standard token, this makes getting covers I can use even harder.

There were so many better options to change existing characters than what was actually done.
  • will they be significantly higher then 2 star thor
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Please use the available thread for Thor. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4281

Also, please watch your font. Larger font for no reason is slightly hard to read and ruins the flow of threads.
  • Ok so I think this is horrible. Gold version? ****? Lol.

Let's look at black widow

1* mbw
    2* OBW
    3* BWGS

3 different versions at 3 different rarities with 3 different move sets.

Wolverine

2* astonishing
    3* patch
    4* S&V

Any other cover with variations
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

Thor

2* regular
    3* - *!*!*GOLD VERSION*!*!*

2 of basically the exact same thing with exact same skills.

They stopped giving cover variations and started implementing almost entirely new covers because of complaints of too many of 1 character. IE black widow.

What about this can be considered an improvement from before? Was it really too difficult too just make a 3* Thor Classic or something? I mean seriously, people are actually buying into this? Like the last 4-5 changes have been great. Mmr has been getting better. *!*!*!*GOLD VERSION*!*!*!* is a very very miserable FAIL. 3 steps backwards D3. 3 steps backwards.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok so I think this is horrible. Gold version? ****? Lol.

Let's look at black widow

1* mbw
    2* OBW
    3* BWGS

Wolverine

2* astonishing
    3* patch
    4* S&V

Any other cover with variations
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

Thor

2* regular
    3* - *!*!*GOLD VERSION*!*!*

2 of basically the exact same thing with exact same skills.

They stopped giving cover variations and started implementing almost entirely new covers because of complaints of too many of 1 character. IE black widow.

What about this can be considered an improvement from before? Was it really too difficult too just make a 3* Thor Classic or something? I mean seriously, people are actually buying into this? Like the last 4-5 changes have been great. Mmr has been getting better. *!*!*!*GOLD VERSION*!*!*!* is a very very miserable FAIL. 3 steps backwards D3. 3 steps backwards.

I really don't understand why so many people are hating on this character. New characters take time to develop. Reskinning a 2* character into a 3* character takes significantly less time to develop. You guys have to realize that the alternative to releasing this character wouldn't be a brand new character, it would be no new characters at all for this week. Would you rather have that instead? Gold characters allow devs to have some breathing room and spend more time polishing new content while giving us some new toys to play with, so whats the problem?
  • I really don't understand why so many people are hating on this character. New characters take time to develop. Reskinning a 2* character into a 3* character takes significantly less time to develop. You guys have to realize that the alternative to releasing this character wouldn't be a brand new character, it would be no new characters at all for this week. Would you rather have that instead?

Uh, yes? Nobody expects this game to churn out a new character every week, especially if they're this poorly made. BP still has bugs in his skills (imbalance withstanding), and they're already trying to push another character down our throats? A new character every two to three weeks like it was a while back was fine. Now we're starting to get a bit silly... and the rush is showing.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Thor and like playing with him. I'm not so sure I want to commit to investing all the iso needed to level him, though. At least, not until I finish off a number of my current 3* characters.

That said, if these "Gold Characters" increase my chances for getting a 3* Modern Storm I am ALL for this trend continuing.
  • This is especially fast if you consider that the amount of HP in the game is pretty throttled. Characters take roster spots, and roster spots cost progressively more and more HP to unlock. I would spend HP for a roster spot for basically any character in the game (I'm looking at you, Bagman and Invisible Woman), but spending it for a second (nearly identical) version of a character I already have is a bit much.
  • It'd probably be nice if they offer a way to say transfer your 2* Thor's iso into the new 3*.