*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Not a terrible loss, though. I've had him with Patch Wolverine, and the red traps act as additional ticks of Strike Tile damage. I matched 3 red traps once and got 4 ticks of damage.
  • At the very least, we have to be able to choose the trap's location, so that we have a prayer of having the AI hit it. The AI itself could get some extra routines to decide what's the best trap target.

Even with that, Daredevil would probably not be that strong a character, but right now, he might as well be Modern Hawkeye.
  • hibikir wrote:
    At the very least, we have to be able to choose the trap's location, so that we have a prayer of having the AI hit it. The AI itself could get some extra routines to decide what's the best trap target.

Even with that, Daredevil would probably not be that strong a character, but right now, he might as well be Modern Hawkeye.

If we could pick the location, he'd be incredibly powerful - given the game's prediliction for picking match-4s, all you'd have to do is set one up to guarantee the trap goes off.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Narkon wrote:
    The main reason I don't like Daredevil at all is that all of his abilities depend on the opponent matching a tile. If he had 1 or even 2 trap tile abilities and a strong and useful instant ability he would be fine, but now he is way too passive for my taste. Since they gave us the opportunity to test him buffed in the ISO event, I tried a couple of times to use his red, just to see what happens. Both times he placed the trap in a red tile in a corner with no way for me or the opponent to make a match. The second time this happened I knew I would never use him again. Most of the time he is a waste of AP.

What I am sad about is that today I decided to open 13 of my 48 standard tokens I have saved. Standard 1* covers until the tenth token. Then came a 2* Bag Man and the final 2 were purple Daredevil. I expended all my luck for this month for 2 purple DD. What a waste. I will keep him in my roster since he is 4/2/1, but he is stuck at 20 lv indefinitely.

I'm cool with that, the problem with Daredevil is pure and simple how easily destroyed his tiles are. Strike tiles, boom destroyed, 4 match, Boom destroyed, you look at them, Boom destroyed. If all the red tiles were strike tiles and you go to create more you can't, the game won't let you, but if it has a trap tile, well of course than it's okay. icon_question.gif I understand it's to keep his power in check, but one could use say a Daken, or Wolverine, etc to create strike tiles to perhaps narrow down where say his Ambush tile is. Oh, there are only 3 tiles open, that means 1 of those is that tile, activate Daken, oh now only one is open, that would be a better counter to me than just overriding the trap, fix that and Daredevil become very fun and annoying as players will be afraid to match certain colors which is what he should be, that and make his purple on purple tiles, not enviornmental
  • daredevil is pretty lame. I like powers that are up front and do damage right away. when you send AP on one of his powers there is no guarantee that it will even go off. especially if the AI isnt looking for that color or the trap gets placed in some lame area.

I keep him around for events that require him and I do get nervous when he is on the other team. need to keep your eyes on wether he triggers his power. its lame when you miss that message and end up getting blown up accidentally.
  • Daredevil has a somewhat novel mechanic, but he's definitely a very weak 3 star characters. One way to adjust him could be to set a timer on his tiles. Keep the same mechanic that if the opponent matches the tile, daredevil gets a lot of value from the ability, and if you match the tile yourself, you get a medium value for the ability(which I would increase from what it currently is). If nobody matches the tile, then the timer goes of a you get a low value for the ability instead.

It seams like a good compromise to me, it keeps the novel mechanic while still giving the abilities a minimum of usefulness in a timely manner.
  • Phaserhawk
    Daredevil (Man without fear) - rare character

11 AP - Radar sense

Creates Purple Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, steals 2 AP from all colors. If you match the tile, it steals 1 purple AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level 2: Steals 3 AP on enemy match.
    Level 3: Steals 4 AP on enemy match.
    Level 4: Steals 5 AP on enemy match.
    Level 5: Steals 6 AP on enemy match.

7 AP - Equalizer

Creates a Blue Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, stuns for 2 turns. If you match the tile, it generates 1 blue AP and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level 2: Stuns for 3 turns.
    Level 3: Stuns for 4 turns.
    Level 4: Stuns for 5 turns.
    Level 5: Stuns for 6 turns.

7 AP - Ambush

Creates a Red Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, deals 473 damage. If you match the tile, enemy takes 24 damage and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level 2: 662 damage on enemy match.
    Level 3: # damage on enemy match.
    Level 4: # damage on enemy match.
    Level 5: # damage on enemy match.

Max Level: Enemy match deals 7712 damage / Player match deals 148 damage to enemy

How to destroy traps
    - match-4 and match-5 activate traps
    - overwrite abilities like Daken's Stroke or Venom's Web DO NOT overwrite traps- Moonstone' relocation ability doesn't affect traps
    - destruction abilities like Storm' Lightning disarm traps

Thats is, switch his purple to purple, and reduce the way of blowing up traps, done he's fixed, you can talk about manual placement all you want, sure that would be good, but this is the easiest fix and would allow him to keep his high damage lvls
  • Phaserhawk
    Microtom wrote:
    Daredevil has a somewhat novel mechanic, but he's definitely a very weak 3 star characters. One way to adjust him could be to set a timer on his tiles. Keep the same mechanic that if the opponent matches the tile, daredevil gets a lot of value from the ability, and if you match the tile yourself, you get a medium value for the ability(which I would increase from what it currently is). If nobody matches the tile, then the timer goes of a you get a low value for the ability instead.

It seams like a good compromise to me, it keeps the novel mechanic while still giving the abilities a minimum of usefulness in a timely manner.

My suggestion is make his purple move to purple, and don't allow overwrite of his trap tiles, make them harder to blow up, ie. by matching 4 or 5, boom, done fixed
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could see the Timer -- say a 4 timer, triggering the minor effect and then moving the trap to a random location.
    That way, if a trap was in a bad place, it would move eventually. If I put up 12 traps, then the minor effects would be triggering three a round.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overall, I like this suggestion, but I also think it's really frustrating to have a character that only lays traps, especially one known for his dynamic fighting skills and keen senses far more than, you know… laying traps. If only Marvel had a character like, say, The Trapper to put these on instead.
  • This would make him a bit more playable, maybe, but he'd still be useless against minions and really weak on offense. I'd much rather he be have a more useful ability when you match his trap yourself. For instance, if you stole 1 of each AP when you matched an env trap, I'd consider playing him, especially since he's pretty decent on defense.
  • I think his utility will always be very limited as long as your own "tile destruction" moves disable your own traps :/

DayvBang wrote:
    Overall, I like this suggestion, but I also think it's really frustrating to have a character that only lays traps, especially one known for his dynamic fighting skills and keen senses far more than, you know… laying traps. If only Marvel had a character like, say, The Trapper to put these on instead.

That's "Paste Pot Pete" to you!
  • Make him not suck.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    If abilities like strike tiles and the like would NOT overwrite traps, wouldn't that make it obvious where the trap is?

Example: 2 red tiles on the board (all other reds are strikes already). Daken's team makes a green match, but only one transforms into a strike.... is that how you'd imagine it plays out? Cause that last red is definitely an ambush
    Example the second: Captain America tries to target a red tile with Sentinel. Would it fail if he chose the trap?
  • Jathro wrote:
    If abilities like strike tiles and the like would NOT overwrite traps, wouldn't that make it obvious where the trap is?

Example: 2 red tiles on the board (all other reds are strikes already). Daken's team makes a green match, but only one transforms into a strike.... is that how you'd imagine it plays out? Cause that last red is definitely an ambush
    Example the second: Captain America tries to target a red tile with Sentinel. Would it fail if he chose the trap?

Even so, isn't it better than having them overwritten? The AI won't be that smart and a human player will probably win anyways. Plus, you could always make the match and move the tile so the opponent wouldn't know where it was. Or, make selective tiles, like Captain America's move, trigger the trap.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of his main weakness is that he cannot harm goons, or control the board in any way. He can't help against countdown tiles. So, I'd add the following:

Red/Blue, at level 3 -- Lowest enemy countdown gets +1 if trap deactivated.
    Red/Blue, at level 4 -- Lowest enemy countdown gets +1 if trap is moved.
    Red/Blue, at level 5 -- Lowest enemy countdown gets +1 as trap is set.
  • I would suggest that trap tiles should be able to co-exist with attack/strike etc.

Eg:
    Red tile is trapped
    Daken lays down a strike onto the same tile, but the trap remains there - untriggered, visible only to DD's team.
    Matching the red strike/trap tile will trigger the trap as usual, for either team.

Another suggestion:
    -All skills which destroy tiles and gain AP should trigger, not disarm traps (I'm looking at you, Storm)
    -All skills which destroy without gaining AP may continue to disarm
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Daredevil (Man without fear) - rare character
    How to destroy traps
    - match-4 and match-5 activate traps
    - overwrite abilities like Daken's Stroke or Venom's Web DO NOT overwrite traps- Moonstone' relocation ability doesn't affect traps
    - destruction abilities like Storm' Lightning disarm traps

Thats is, switch his purple to purple, and reduce the way of blowing up traps, done he's fixed, you can talk about manual placement all you want, sure that would be good, but this is the easiest fix and would allow him to keep his high damage lvls

This doesnt fix S H I T if his trap are just seating there not getting match then get destroy by you by accident. Manual placement is one of the best way to fix him. I am pretty Daredevil would be smart enough to not put trap randomly and put the trap where he expect the enemy will trigger it. Another way of buffing him would be giving better incentive when you match your own trap. Right now only the red trap give some incentive and that isnt even enough. They could buff the damage of self match red(may be double or triple it). Also when matching your blue trap instead of generating blue AP(which is completely useless). It could stun current enemy for 1 turn and may be stun all enemy for 1 turn at 5 cover on self match. Also with the purple trap, instead of stealing 1 purple on self match, it could be buff to stealing 1 of each AP on self match. You might think that this is op but its not like you are alway guarrantee a self match when using this ability anyway. Increasing selfmatch incentive also make him a lot less useless on PVE.

Another way of fixing him would be to nerf the effect and make trap activate when destroy or match. Trap are only disable when converted.
  • Why, he was such a great help fighting that group of goons last 2 times he was forced character...
  • Jathro wrote:

No, because 'trap' can be a separate attribute. There's no reason whatsoever why a tile could not have a strike and a trap (or even 1 trap per party) at the same time.