I think an apology is in order...

Options
paralistalon
paralistalon Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi. I would like to apologize to the community after placing in the top 10 of my PVE bracket and getting my 3 Black Panther covers and 2 Punisher progression rewards. It was tedious at times, having to play at least twice a day for about an hour, so I do feel like I earned my spot, but I acknowledge that my opponents' levels never skyrocketed to 230 this event. I still don't know why, since they did so last event. I did join a day or two late, so maybe it was my bracket? The robot brawlers and Iso 8 mutants did get to the 160s, but the actual dark avengers seemed to stay even in the 60-80 range.

The strongest guys in my roster are 61 Ares, 60 OBW, and 55 Storm, 50 Magneto (MN), 50 Daken, and 40 Captain, with a roster size of 20 and lots of level 15 1-cover 3*s. I've been active for 75 days (just got the free Loki cover log-in bonus). I felt like the difficulty was very fair for me, but I feel bad that so many people couldn't even unlock their brackets! I'm still confused why my difficulty never skyrocketed. I won most of my PVE matches, but perhaps it helped that I didn't grind the events more than once or twice a cycle. I don't even know if I could have placed in the top 10 had I not gotten a lucky Psylocke cover pull mid-way through the event.

Perhaps I haven't entered mid-level MMR hell yet and will be facing my karmic retribution soon, but for now I am thankful and silently hoping that I am not one of the newbs that people complain so much about when they think the game is not fair.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    There is no reason for you to apologize for playing the game. You put in the time and effort, did not cheat, and fought enemy levels as intended by the devs. It's not your fault their formula needs a little tweaking for mid level players.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They'd be less likely to hate you if you weren't here bragging about your exploits.

You knew what you were doing with this...
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I don't think top 10 in PVE is that much to brag about, especially when the game doesn't hate on you with brutal scaling (okay I'll take some credit for my surgical precision with classic hawkeye), but my point is that I still can't figure out why I didn't face the full wrath of the level scaling like others have reported here. Last event, if I didn't play when the round started, I couldn't complete some nodes. This event, when I logged in at the last two hours of the sub-stage, it seemed like the enemies hadn't leveled at all from when I fought them in the morning! I'm just trying to figure this out and hope my data can help piece together the hidden formula. I don't know if it's my total number of wins in either this or my combined PVEs, if it's based on being placed in a less competitive bracket, or if it's based on my character levels. I'm tempted to avoid leveling my guys too much just in case that plays a part in it.
  • If you are apologizing then what should I do? I got #1-2 place and I am in a similar position as you, being active for 75 days and having a roster with 85 OBW, 85 Ares, 85 Punisher, 70 Patch and 70 Psylocke. The enemy levels were manageale for me starting usualy at 75-95 and scaling as I kept playing up to 110-130 (for the villain teams) or 130-180 for the goon teams. These levels were possible only after I tanked for 10-15 minutes in each rotations throwing on them the entire roster I wasn't using

Additioanlly, I spent so much ISO on boosts the last 2 days because I didn't have much time and had to win all the time to avoid waiting for healing packs to refresh, that I didn't make any ISO profit these last 2 days. Instead I think I actually lost ISO, so this success came with a significant cost. I doubt I will do it again since 4* Wolvie is only 2/1/0 and is not worth playing unless you have spent too much ISO on him, but it was a morale boost for me to take top place in an event.

Anyway, I don't think apologies offer anything since all of us did the best we could with what we were given. It would be ideal if they fixed the scaling in the game so it doesn't go above a level that is determined by your roster. For example, they could set things up so that missions have various difficulty in a location starting from 20-30 and going up to 130 for villains and 160 goons (for players with a roster similar to mine).
  • Yeah, somehow the scaling was not onerous for me in this event. It got a bit stupid in the first couple of days, but then I realized that, unlike in the last event, where you were punished by not entering early, playing for the last 4 hours of the event led to enough rubber banding as to actually place well with a decent team. My enemies topped at 90 something vs heroes and at 120 or so vs goons.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    If you are apologizing then what should I do? I got #1-2 place and I am in a similar position as you, being active for 75 days and having a roster with 85 OBW, 85 Ares, 85 Punisher, 70 Patch and 70 Psylocke. The enemy levels were manageale for me starting usualy at 75-95 and scaling as I kept playing up to 110-130 (for the villain teams) or 130-180 for the goon teams. These levels were possible only after I tanked for 10-15 minutes in each rotations throwing on them the entire roster I wasn't using

Additioanlly, I spent so much ISO on boosts the last 2 days because I didn't have much time and had to win all the time to avoid waiting for healing packs to refresh, that I didn't make any ISO profit these last 2 days. Instead I think I actually lost ISO, so this success came with a significant cost. I doubt I will do it again since 4* Wolvie is only 2/1/0 and is not worth playing unless you have spent too much ISO on him, but it was a morale boost for me to take top place in an event.

Anyway, I don't think apologies offer anything since all of us did the best we could with what we were given. It would be ideal if they fixed the scaling in the game so it doesn't go above a level that is determined by your roster. For example, they could set things up so that missions have various difficulty in a location starting from 20-30 and going up to 130 for villains and 160 goons (for players with a roster similar to mine).

My roster is about the same as yours in terms of the levels, but the enemies and goon teams are way higher, anywhere from 130 to 230. Guess I'm not that lucky with scaling. icon_e_sad.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    The more events you place well in (overall), the worse the levels I guess?
  • I doubt the placing counts. It's probably more about your win/loss ratio in fights.