What percentage of mythics should players be able to collect per set?

Options
babar3355
babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion

I have 23/40 non-dupe mythics from the KLD block.  Here is the breakdown of how I got them.

Bought: 2

Coalition Prizes (when this was a thing): 7

Event top 5 Prizes: 3

Event top finisher exclusive prizes: 5

Opening packs: 6

So as a player in the top coalition in the game, who consistently places high in events, and was willing to spend some money,  I managed to bag 57.5% of the mythics.  However, if we throw out the top 5 prizes, and old school coalition prizes I would have a whopping 13/40 = 32.5%.  And that's with winning all 5 of the exclusives available. 

I played every event.  I spent my resources.  I won consistently. I paid for good cards (until Not.Another.Dime).

Is this really what we want the game to be? Even the top players get to play with less than a third of the mythics.  And don't get me started on masterpieces.  The card I want to play with the most is Black Vice.  I will NEVER be able to play with it regardless of what I do in game or how much money I spend unless I get totally and randomly lucky.

Sidebar: (Spending $10,000 would get you 300,000 crystals, buying 1000 premium packs or 15000 cards + 1000 rares.  If the odds of a masterpiece (as gathered by the below link) are .1% then you would expect 15 masterpeices.  There are 19 in the set so the odds of hitting any specific one are 1/19 once you "hit" a masterpiece.  And with 15 chances on it your odds of getting your desired card are roughly 55.6%.  So $10,000 US will get you about a coin flip shot of getting a black vice or your card of choice.) End Sidebar

I already expect this duplicate conversion system to taste like ashes in my mouth. We shall see.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JUeuf0BcOlNHpt3dA7SQ838ws7AOlWMEz-4AAG2dYrE/edit#gid=545160007

What percentage of mythics should players be able to collect per set? 31 votes

100% - Players should be able to collect and play with every card in each set
35%
majincobmadwrensjechuaandrewvanmarleDodecapodarNeroCapricorn907_Daromax_TigerpawzDamienPersonMan 11 votes
80-100% - Players should be able to play with most cards if they have the time, money, and/or skill
25%
Abenjesspeakupaskanswerbabar3355StormcrowjetnoctisTHEMAGICkMANInfestedThuran 8 votes
50-80% - There should always be lots of chase cards in each set that players will never get to use
35%
span_argomanVolrakGandhiYvendrosifsandbutswereotterMagogPhaseGaitreliefhktddyjkbLaeuftbeidir 11 votes
<50% - Mythic means mythic man! Even dedicated players should rarely see these cards
3%
GrizzoMtGPQ 1 vote
Other - I am not sure what other means... its 0-100%... but I am confident this will be needed.
0%

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50-80% - There should always be lots of chase cards in each set that players will never get to use
    I'm using myself as a baseline here, which may or may not be fair.

When we're looking at how many SHOULD a player be able to get in a set, we have to figure that every player had the opportunity to get 9 mythics as there were that many available to purchase specifically.

For myself, I won zero mythics as prizes and opened 20. My numbers may be higher or lower than others, but using that number plus 9 guaranteed, I would estimate that every player should be able to get about 70% of the mythic rare cards in any given block. When I do my math for the SOI/EMN block I come up with a little less than 70% when combining the mythics that could be purchased with the mythics I own. So that seems a reasonable number, in my opinion.
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a gashapon CCG. You should absolutely not get everything unless you have a ton of disposable income to blow on packs. And maybe you do! But 10 grand is not monopoly money to me, so I understand I won't get to use everything. That's fine though! Part of the challenge of playing is to build good decks around the cards you DO have. That's always been appealing in games like this.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    80-100% - Players should be able to play with most cards if they have the time, money, and/or skill
    I have 13/40 from KLD, only from opening packs. I wish I had more but it seems kinda fair to me.

I can also offer
    12/32 from SOI block
    9/36 from BFZ block (which I haven't followed from its beginning)
    6/24 from Origins (same)
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Even dedicated players should rarely see these cards"

Isn't that what Masterpieces are for?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think everyone should be able to get whatever card they want.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've long held the stance that everyone should theoretically be able to collect all the cards if they put in enough time (say 40 hours a week for hard core free players) and that you should be able to spend money to decrease the amount of time required to do so (up to a limit).