Masterpieces in Trial of Zeal

Options
wereotter
wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
Seriously?

How many times did Sammut just cast chained lightning against me, in addition to her ability to give all her creatures double strike every turn automatically.... oh and you're supposed to end with over 80 life.

Plus Temmet has Vindicate.

Is this their way of trying to get us to chase those cards with unobtanium? Seriously, especially this early, the fights are challenging enough with their ability to gain massive amounts of mana, decks stocked full of the strongest mythic rare cards in the set. Tezzeret was still a challenge even at the end of the block AND with being able to use any cards I own from any block. This standard restriction alongside the impossibly rare and ridiculously powerful cards seems like it was forgotten that people won't be using their Emrakul, Olivia, Ulrich, Gisela, Drowner of Hope + Thopter Spy Network type cards....

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They don't want everyone to beat the entire event on their first attempt. It's deliberately difficult in order to make you chase cards.

• wereotter
    Options
    I don't deny that, and I don't expect to beat a match first go every time. Just frustrating that I look at the secondary objectives, think I'm making a smart decision, only to then have her just laugh at my deck and completely steamroller over me by killing everything I put out supports that deal direct damage just because she's attacking and giving everything free doublestrike every turn.

However, I as really shocked to see they decided it was a good decision to put masterpieces in the decks while at the same time limiting the cards we're allowed to use. I get that before this time, they had to go out of their way to make these events as challenging as possible because of the repertoire of cards we had at our disposal, but this time I feel like they designed these third node encounters thinking we had those cards, when we actually did not.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Eh, i actually found that one to be really really easy. Just spam huge blockers and then keep their board down whilst i lifegain to keep myself Alive. Used kiora, but i really want to level up Ajani2, he seems well suited to many of the nodes.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm with wereotter on this one, though my reason is slightly different.

For the umpteenth time, D3Go, when you make tough challenges like Temmet, Samut, or Persistent Nightmare, Avacyn, Tezzeret whatever who have the most busted mythics and the most ridiculous mana gain in a set where Hexproof is practically NONEXISTENT, why the TINIKITTY do you think it's a good idea to give these broken opponent REMOVALS?!? They do NOT need removals!@!

Bloody hell, I don't know when the last I was this angrv was.....
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah I had it cast Chain Lightning on me probably 6 times in a row. 
  • MTGDad
    MTGDad Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Looking at the reason for masterpieces in the first place.  They are meant to be some of the older/more powerful cards in magic designed to sell packs and offer "premium" versions of cards not in premium for paper.  Using masterpieces in the AI decks is just lazy deck building by nature of the power level.  And as masterpieces are valid in "limited", unless you are using masterpiece God's you can't use them in "standard" which makes it more insulting translating masterpieces to this game.  Thought it was an awful idea when announced.
  • ifsandbuts
    ifsandbuts Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    wereotter said:
    However, I as really shocked to see they decided it was a good decision to put masterpieces in the decks while at the same time limiting the cards we're allowed to use. I get that before this time, they had to go out of their way to make these events as challenging as possible because of the repertoire of cards we had at our disposal, but this time I feel like they designed these third node encounters thinking we had those cards, when we actually did not.
    Girl, git gud.
  • wereotter
    edited May 2017
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Girl, git gud.
    Aren't you gone yet? I thought you were leaving ;)
  • ifsandbuts
    ifsandbuts Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I am sticking around the forums cause I like to be right!
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

I beat this encounter on the second time through.

Seems like the entire third node in this event has the following solution:

1. Cast Out three creatures.

2. Forsake the Worldly any supports.

3. Cast Renewed Faith to keep health up.

4. Spend the next 20 minutes plinking away at its health.

• Twee
    Twee Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Try Jace 2 with a couple of card draw cards, a lifelink creature, a defender creature with bounce spells.  I beat tem and tum with this.  Either get the blocker or lifelinker out, bounce, and race for the ult.  
  • Twee
    Twee Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    oh and I only have 2 mythics, one being days undoing, and some **** rares.  Days undoing and that blue rare creature that energises 3 each turn, then if you overload 3 he wipes the board except himself.  So one mythic and one rare, the rest are common and uncommons. 
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    i was annoyed at first.  but then this is the first time in awhile i've been challenged.  beat bossman twice now (out of 5 tries, mind you).  

frustrating, yes.  refreshing, also yes.