v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Wasn´t it said that the prizes should be updated for 2-day events? Seems to me that they´re exactly the same as before (except for progression awards which seem to have been distributed over more "slots" but haven´t dramatically increased)?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    In other words... Updated? 

Why would they increase? 
  • dragonslayer
    dragonslayer Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    now we are getting 1/20 th as reward from coalition event and less crystals from single events and progression 
    i'm just waiting for the next update when the reward will be 0 crystals and 0 jewels for 1st place

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. If you are experiencing any bugs or in-game issues, please report them in the Bugs & Technical Issues sub-forum here: https://forums.d3go.com/categories/mtgpq-bugs-technical-issues

Thank you!
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    LakeStone said:

Cards like Deploy the Gatewatch, Olivia, Mobilized for War, Mirrorpool, etc. are incredibly strong, and we want to be able to make more cards like these in the future.
    I see.
    LakeStone said:

Coalition challenges in particular are getting more and more difficult to balance
    I wonder why.
    LakeStone said:

We want to ensure that the competition is fair for everyone, so restricting the Coalition Challenges will help balance the events, as well as give everyone a more equal footing to start from.
    So, broken cards will only be able to run rampant through Standard for a year?
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    @shteev To be fair, broken cards running through Standard for a limited time has been very successful for the paper game. It's not so bad. You have some really strong cards in the meta you enjoy playing and occasionally have to deal with, then when they rotate out players are usually happy to see them go and play with other new cards. Obviously Wizards screws up from time to time and has to ban (see copycat, JTMS/stoneforge, etc)... but the cycle itself is pretty engaging and it does sell booster boxes...
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    @Lakestone

You posted this in the OP. So what are we missing about the current PVE event, Trial of Zeal? Looks pretty much like Standard to me - a direct contradiction to what is repeated below.

NEW EVENT RULES

Starting with the release of Amonkhet, all the events in the game will now have new rules in effect that limit the card sets available to participate in the event.

PvP Events from Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet can now only use cards from Origins, Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet combined. This means that Fate is Rarely Fair, for example, can now only be played with cards from Origins as well as the Kaladesh and Amonkhet blocks.

Note that events from prior sets as well as current PvE events have no restrictions on card sets, and you can build decks using any card in your collection.

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Trial is not pve. It's pvp coalition event unfortunately.  But nevertheless this 850 ribbons for final reward???? 
  • gruntface
    Szamsziel said:
    Trial is not pve. It's pvp coalition event unfortunately.  But nevertheless this 850 ribbons for final reward???? 
    It isn't PVE? 3 sets of 3 nodes against pre-designed AI decks isn't PVE? 

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    gruntface said:
    Szamsziel said:
    It isn't PVE? 3 sets of 3 nodes against pre-designed AI decks isn't PVE? 

It's kind of both in that you're not playing against other players, but because it's ranked by coalitions, it's also PvP. Probably why it's a standard restricted build.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @gruntface @wereotter

That's correct. The coalition challenge, Trial of Zeal, is intended to have the card set restriction applied to it. All other PvE events should not have any restrictions to deck creation.
  • gruntface
    edited May 2017
    @Brigby now I'm more confused than before. You say 'other' PVE events which suggests ToZ is PVE. Could you please clarify what the definition is of PVE in MTGPQ? Could you also point out where it was stated that ToZ is intended to be an exception? Could you confirm what qualifies as an unlimited event going forward.

NB

I also pulled from the OP the explicit statement that this event is indeed PVE.

Trial of Zeal, a new PvE Coalition Challenge where you face off against the Gods of Amonkhet. Similar to previous Coalition Challenges, your Coalition will work together to defeat the Gods of Amonkhet by winning encounters and completing objectives.

• PastrySpider
    PastrySpider Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    So, to be clear, card block restrictions now applies to all major events, even ones where we don't actually play against other players.  Any arguments that prior cards still have real value is wrong then.  Our old cards are genuinely worthless.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    @gruntface @wereotter

That's correct. The coalition challenge, Trial of Zeal, is intended to have the card set restriction applied to it. All other PvE events should not have any restrictions to deck creation .

So why do the release notes actually tell the very opposite? Or have I, amongst others, just haven't read carefully enough?
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    There was a quote in the prerelease notes that has since been edited out, unfortunately. Trial of Zeal was always intended to be Standard:

"In PvE events (outside of the new Coalition Challenge that runs on the weekends), you can create decks using any cards in your collection. We are now running PvE events all week long - we are starting with retooled versions of Revolt against the Consulate and Fateful Showdown. Every Monday to Thursday, one of the two events will be available to play. The events have been reworked so they no longer are Coalition Challenges but instead are in a similar vein to the Oath of the Gatewatch event."

• gruntface
    octal9 said:
    There was a quote in the prerelease notes that has since been edited out, unfortunately. Trial of Zeal was always intended to be Standard:

"In PvE events (outside of the new Coalition Challenge that runs on the weekends), you can create decks using any cards in your collection. We are now running PvE events all week long - we are starting with retooled versions of Revolt against the Consulate and Fateful Showdown. Every Monday to Thursday, one of the two events will be available to play. The events have been reworked so they no longer are Coalition Challenges but instead are in a similar vein to the Oath of the Gatewatch event."

Thanks Octal.

I tried to find any reference to this event being Standard so interesting to see that it was announced and the only record has now been edited out. The only other reference to events, which has not been edited out FYI, shows what others are basing their comments on and directly quoting.

TBH, so far the event is fine, I just wish I'd had some more time to test Standard decks as I specifically checked ahead to see what type of event it was (and didn't even see the event in the Events section until this morning to click on the i button).

Once again, it's down to a player to clarify what should have been clearly stated from the outset.

• octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    gruntface said:

TBH, so far the event is fine
    Disclaimer: I've not yet joined the event, just heard stories from others.

From what I have heard, the event (particularly the third node) is tuned similarly to RAtC.

Under Legacy, with our Pigs, Olivias, Startled Awakes, Behold the Beyonds, etc - this is fine.

Under Standard, which is currently incomplete due to not having full Amonkhet set nor Hour of Devastation, I would consider that anything approaching RAtC difficulty is overtuned.

I love Standard - in my humble opinion it's the best thing to happen to PvP since event rewards. But I'm not convinced that it is appropriate for a scaling event that nears RAtC's difficulty level.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    1. Event Balancing: Coalition challenges in particular are getting more and more difficult to balance, due to the fact that the team has to assume certain cards are in the most powerful decks, and as such, they have to balance the encounters against specific card combinations that are incredibly strong. We want to ensure that the competition is fair for everyone, so restricting the Coalition Challenges will help balance the events, as well as give everyone a more equal footing to start from.

I read this as all coalition events will be standard
    restricted to keep things fair.

(it's bullet point 3, not too sure why it's turned into
    a 1)

HH
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Could definitely stand to nerf some of the tougher challenges given the new restrictions on what can be used. Many people relied on SOI/BFZ strats to clear RatC, FS and such. Those options are no longer available, so difficulty should be adjusted appropriately.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phase said:
    Could definitely stand to nerf some of the tougher challenges given the new restrictions on what can be used. Many people relied on SOI/BFZ strats to clear RatC, FS and such. Those options are no longer available, so difficulty should be adjusted appropriately.
    Agreed. I don't expect my first run through an event to be flawless as there will be a lot to learn when it comes to knowing what my opponents in the event run in their decks, what abilities they have, and what tactics I have to use to survive and win, but honestly.... Sammut seems a bit much. Her ability to give all her creatures double strike for free every turn, her casting of Chained Lightning to remove my creatures every turn, and that effing dragon that she managed to exert every turn killing whatever creatures I had that might have survived her Chained Lighting was a bit much. (Not to mention all the extra damage from Throne of the God Pharaoh on top of all her creatures having double strike) She literally just steamrollered over my deck like it wasn't even a challenge. Perhaps the nodes will get easier as we get more cards, but that's just a point at which, like the did in previous events, they can adjust the difficult of the nodes accordingly. I'm honestly scared to see what Hazoret has in store for me once I face her.