Planeswalkers

Options
Marrhault
Marrhault Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
So been playing a few months trying to amass card selection.  At an ok point I'm and looking at PW purchases.  I know kiora is a top pick but not available.  Now looking at the "standard" structure would it be better to buy Jace 2 and such instead of picking up energy focused PW?  Not really sure who to get.  I just see the Mana gain regarding the better PW and wondering if it's worth it to start getting the others.

Thanks for the input,
Marrhault

Comments

• DaddyO
    DaddyO Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    Jace 2 is future proof and cheap to level up. All of the abilities should be usable in any format. It doesn't rely on any set specific mechanic or obscure creature type.  I looked up my preferred build and it looks like about half of the cards rotate out for standard. Other than forgotten creations and Imprisoned in the moon most of them are easily replaced.  Of course I have Days undoing and that does really help the deck pop. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jace 2 is a solid walker, as are Nahiri, Sorin, and Sarkhan (and the origins walkers) if you are worried about standard.  Personally, I think the energy walkers and Arlinn can be useful in standard even after their sets phase out, but thats more because of their colors and mana gains than their abilities (although new Tezz's second is pretty great any time, as is Sahilli's first)
  • Marrhault
    Marrhault Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah seeming at a minimum the benefit of Mana gain out weighs pretty much everything over the basic PW. Thanks for the info and if anyone else has input would be great
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    have to agree with mburns choices all good ones with solid if not awesome abilities jace 2 can be a killer get some creatures out race for 3rd one and swarm the a.i a few extra draw cards it the deck( mostly to help you get to the creatures) and it explodes. nahiri also awesome one you get her first ability only 6 more loyalty to ther 3rd one, which on a big creature can be a one turn kill after that. Rest i dont have but have seen plenty that have trounced me in battles
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While you're on the right track, some of the multicolored pws are viable regardless of their set-specific focus.

For example, Saheeli doesn't need vehicles or energy to excel; she can fill a multitude of aggressive and control strategies because of the excellent color synergy between blue and red.  Likewise with Tezz2, though he can't be quite as aggressive on the board as Saheeli. Conversely, other KLD planeswalkers like Chandra2, Ajani2, Nissa2, can probably be skipped.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personal opinion, I still think Chandra 2 is pretty good. She doesn't need energy to work. I know people look at her as a worse version of Koth, but I look at her, personally, as a more reliable version of Koth since she doesn't get punished for matching white or blue like Koth does, and she gets a nice, big bonus off black matches that Koth does not.

She's a pretty solid pick for aggressive builds, in my experience.