Event deck

Options
Hesturk
Hesturk Posts: 73 Match Maker
Since the last version, we are now required to enter an event deck. I was under the assumption that we were gonna be matched against other event deck that other player registered.

My problem is that I'm most likely matched against deck that are clearly meant to not fulfill the objective. In emergency decree I faced a single deck that would energize gem. In fate is rarely fair, so far I've seen a single deck with vehicle and fought it twice.

So am I just unlucky to be paired against People who just doesn't care about secondary objective. Did those person change their deck after playing their game.

To me it is just strange to register a deck and don't play against similar deck.

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The devs are supposed to be pulling from decks actually entered into events, though they have no control over the player base actually playing event objectives. In this case, blame your fellow players. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anyone tested how the event decks work yet? Previously, of course you could alter your deck if, say, one of your teammates was playing it and you wanted an easy match. Is this still the case?

Or, is the deck you enter recorded the first time you enter it, and then that's always the version of your deck that get's played? In which case, what's to stop anyone from initially entering with a troll deck, but then changing it for the matches that they play themselves?

I know, I know, it's people like me that ruin it for everyone...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    --> the event deck is the last used deck in that event. You can change it to a troll deck - but you need to use it once before it actually can troll other players
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    Anyone tested how the event decks work yet? Previously, of course you could alter your deck if, say, one of your teammates was playing it and you wanted an easy match. Is this still the case?

Or, is the deck you enter recorded the first time you enter it, and then that's always the version of your deck that get's played? In which case, what's to stop anyone from initially entering with a troll deck, but then changing it for the matches that they play themselves?

I know, I know, it's people like me that ruin it for everyone...
    I tested it and it did not work. The AI stores that last deck you used in that event and you can't change it.

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Now that the events are 2 days long, and there's no coalition awards, you can make progression in events like Emergency Ostriches / Fate Is Never Fun or similar events without having to energize gems or cast 14 vehicles or win the game with 3 life remaining or whatever.  So I just play my favorite deck in each color and to heck with secondary objectives.

My understanding is, you have one deck active in the event at a time.  If you change that deck, a screen will pop up asking you if you want to change your deck.  If so, then that is your new deck in the event.

It would be theoretically possible for someone to keep switching out your "event deck" with some "I hate vehicles / energy" deck or something to troll people, but more likely, a person who is doing that is actually just playing an "I hate vehicles / energy" deck to adjust to the metagame.  Or, they're playing their usual Koth / Kiora / Tezzeret deck because why bother sideboarding in 5 vehicles?
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

I think players don't care, so they just play their favourite deck with one card slotted into for energize.

It's really annoying because even though I build for all objectives now (except the win in 5 rounds, or win with 20 or less HP), I end up missing objectives based on my opponent's "I don't care deck" (ie. they're running a zerg deck so I end up rushing and missing the energize).

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A few thoughts:

1. One card for energize is often sufficient to complete objectives. Especially if it's Dynavolt Tower, for example.

2. How would one control what is deemed an acceptable event deck or not?  It isn't feasible for them to mandate a specific number of cards in your deck of a certain type, because this would greatly punish those individuals who were not fortunate enough to obtain the more powerful variants of those cards. Let's say, for example, that they forced you to include at least 3 werewolves. I own GRB, Ulrich, and Shrill Howler. You own Hinterland Logger, Kessig Prowler, and Duskwatch Recruiter. That's a disadvantage.

3. There is objectively no difference between a person who chooses to not try for the "win with 20 or less hp" objective and the person who chooses not to try for the "summon 6 or more vehicles" objective. They're optional objectives, and people tend not to want to bother with objectives they find tiresome or inconvenient. This has been compounded by the paltry rewards, because putting forth the effort for minimal gain seems foolish.

A lot of the perceived problem may be mitigated once they rotate out BFZ/SOI from PVP events, because then the amount of available powerful mythics/rares will be decimated.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    2. How would one control what is deemed an acceptable event deck or not?  It isn't feasible for them to mandate a specific number of cards in your deck of a certain type, because this would greatly punish those individuals who were not fortunate enough to obtain the more powerful variants of those cards.

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/674256/#Comment_674256

shteev said:
    Once again: the guaranteed matching of players against event decks is a quick fix, which really doesn't solve the problem of them being matched against decks which are completely mismatched against them based on their collection (and to a lesser degree their level of skill).

An Elo rating system, or swiss tournament system, which has been suggested many, many times in this forum, would be a far superior solution.
  • Hesturk
    Hesturk Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I totally agree that no one should be forced to play for secondary objective. Some might even not have the card to complete them. My Sarkhan deck with Dragon had only 2 Dragon coz I didn't  have more. Some players might even had none.

I just wanted to point out that even if we were told that we would be matched against deck built to meet the objective (that's the impression I had) it's not working for many reasons. The only difference now is that when we are matched against someone deck, instead of having all his deck as a possibility,  the choice is reduced to 3 deck.

The real answer to match making reside somewhere in a Swiss or elo system, because there will always be people who won't play for top score, and they are right to do so.
  • madwren
    Options
    Hesturk said:
    I totally agree that no one should be forced to play for secondary objective. Some might even not have the card to complete them. My Sarkhan deck with Dragon had only 2 Dragon coz I didn't  have more. Some players might even had none.

I just wanted to point out that even if we were told that we would be matched against deck built to meet the objective (that's the impression I had) it's not working for many reasons. The only difference now is that when we are matched against someone deck, instead of having all his deck as a possibility,  the choice is reduced to 3 deck.

The real answer to match making reside somewhere in a Swiss or elo system, because there will always be people who won't play for top score, and they are right to do so.

Please don't get me wrong--I agree that Swiss or Elo would likely be very useful in guaranteeing more accurate matches.  My main thrust was that your initial impression--and not just you, a few others I've seen as well--was a bit misguided. I don't mean that offensively at all, just to point out that "event deckness" isn't really something that can be automatically discerned based on deck content, and would have to be artificially enforced to the detriment of those without powerful cards.

• Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Standard format should help this issue alot.  Troll decks often require older cards.

Also, the very first player in an event, what deck do they face?  O_O
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yvendros said:
    Standard format should help this issue alot.  Troll decks often require older cards.

Also, the very first player in an event, what deck do they face?  O_O
    They get stuck on the "searching for opponent" screen ????
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a little late to event decks, can someone tell
    me how to swap a card in an existing event deck?

HH
  • madwren
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:

HH

When you're at the matchup screen--when you can see your opponent and their pw--in the lower left it should say EDIT DECK. Press on that.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren said:
    hawkyh1 said:

HH

When you're at the matchup screen--when you can see your opponent and their pw--in the lower left it should say EDIT DECK. Press on that.
    thanks, for a moment I thought there's only the
    create new deck button.

HH