Jace, Unraveler of Secrets: Official Thread

2»

Comments

• Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    No, actually I use his first ability about 90% of the time to get the supports out asap.

The deck relies on Thopter Spy Network with Drowner of Hope and one other support to lock the opponents creatures down. The Tokens from Drowner help against haste creatures. The Stratus Walk generally hits the tokens to increase their effectiveness. Oath and Sphinx's Tutelage slow the opponent's casting down. Skyline Cascade and Shivan Reef can help speed me up by converting gems if I can get the blue-black one from BFZ or Corrupted Grafstone they will replace Reef. Scour From Existence obviously takes out threats. And Foundry will either create Thopters or boost then if I already have some out which will trigger Drowner in a pinch if Thopter Spy Network gets destroyed or it is my only support. His second ability can put some temporary supports out to trigger Network needed.

Actually, it's more like a "You can't touch this beotch." With a sadistic grin of course.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    ahh sunken hollow the blue black? it makes a difference i think i had one of the other mana gainers in there for mine but took it out not because i got more mana that way but was able to get more on color matches mid game i think,but less mana over all so 6 of one half dozen of the other only thing i worry about with just thopters really though is one scour wipes out your big hitter and most everyone has it. but if it works for you keep using it been trying spy network and sram the white mythinc in dovin seems really dam nice. cant set it up in jace 2 though
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    With the right cards I found Jace performing really well. Storm-style decks seem to be performing incredibly thanks to the ultimate, pumping my army like crazy (at some point I ended up with a 100/100 Niblis of Frost).

Currently I am running the following deck

Creatures (3):
    Niblis of Frost
    Baral, Chief of Compliance
    Forgotten Creation

Spells (5):
    Coastal Discovery
    Scatter to the Winds
    Evolving Wilds
    Talent of the Telepath
    Tezzeret's Ambition (to be replaced with Day's Undoing)

Supports (2):
    Prism Array
    Corrupted Grafstone (to be replaced with Sunken Hollow)

Basically get Baral and Niblis down as soon as possible, then start the spell storm madness. Niblis has the advantage of locking down opponent's first creature.

Coastal Discovery draws cards on its own thanks to Baral. Evolving Wilds generates delayed mana in case you cannot win instantaneously and is also free to cast, plus can sometimes yield new chains when the gem pops. Scatter to the Winds is great at locking up opponents trying to cast expensive stuff.
    Talent of the Telepath helps search for the pieces of the combo faster.
    Lastly, Tezzeret's Ambition is cheaper than Oath of Jace and synergizes with Baral as well, though Day's Undoing would outperform it due to allowing you to cycle your hand.
    All spells lead to storm if you draw into another spell.
    This way your whole army is pumped up by the ultimate and if not, Niblis can get quite big during a turn.

Prism Array further increases your card draw engine (I pretty much discard my creatures once I have Baral & Niblis onto the battlefield) and can also lock down creatures. Plus it works on my opponent's creature, should they be stupid enough to landfall.
    Corrupted Graftstone is more mana generation for those unfortunate situations when the board ends up simply horrific, lacking blue or black gems. (though Sunken Hollows would be slightly cheaper).
  • KSV
    KSV Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I heard there is a J2 (may be J1) zombie deck, that works fine. May be someone have a list? I just can't come up with deck that works fine
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    My J2 deck is awesome. It revolves around a mini-combo that is very strong - and fits well into the deck anyway, even if you don't pull off the combo.

there are 3 combo pieces.

Incubator Drone
    Quicksmith Spy
    Imprisoned in the moon.

don't see the combo? don't worry, neither did I at first.

It goes like this:
    play J2's ultimate ability, pumping your creatures each time you draw a card
    play Incubator Drone
    play Quicksmith Spy, hopefully drawing you enough cards to fill your hand, and making the eldrazi scion token very large.
    play Imprisoned in the moon targeting your scion token, which will fill up your entire hand with mana.

this combo often allows me to win the turn after i complete the combo as well as giving me a lot of removal filled up in my hand, and a lot of great supports and other cards as well. this combo puts me so far ahead of my opponent that they have no chance at winning the game after i do it. best part is, all thecards fit nicely into a generic J2 shell. Try it out, its very fun

replacements for some cards: 

Incubator drone = anything that makes a scion
    imprisoned in the moon = any kill spell that can target your own creatures
    Quicksmith spy = nothing that I know of can replace this, forgotten creation doesn't work as it discards the removal.
  • kauppila
    kauppila Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    You could replace Quicksmith spy w/ Bomat Courier.
    Just need another kill spell to kill it as well. (so, possibly only drawing 5 cards).
    Otherwise, Days Undoing would also accomplish the same thing by giving you 5 cards.  It has the added benefit of potentially powering a new Imprisoned in the Moon, but it would be about a 50/50 chance to pull an Imprisoned.  Not that you would be suffering w/ if you didn't with a 21+/21+ Scion.

In my experience, when you get J2's ultimate, you pretty much have won, so most of this discussion is academic.
    What would be truly helpful is some form of lifelink :)
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    kauppila said:
    You could replace Quicksmith spy w/ Bomat Courier.
    Just need another kill spell to kill it as well. (so, possibly only drawing 5 cards).
    Otherwise, Days Undoing would also accomplish the same thing by giving you 5 cards.  It has the added benefit of potentially powering a new Imprisoned in the Moon, but it would be about a 50/50 chance to pull an Imprisoned.  Not that you would be suffering w/ if you didn't with a 21+/21+ Scion.

In my experience, when you get J2's ultimate, you pretty much have won, so most of this discussion is academic.
    What would be truly helpful is some form of lifelink :)
    Yeah but it's more fun this way. I have a pet love for mini-combos. 
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    My abuse his first, deck:

Creatures-
    Unesh, Criosphinx, Sovereign
    Striped Riverwinder

Spells-
    Desert of the Mindful
    Spell Swindle
    Admiral's Orders(or a draw spell)

Supports-
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Fraying Sanity(or replace with River's Rebuke)
    Prying Blade
    In Bolas's Clutches(previously been using Lay Claim)
    Storm the Vault

Striped is to get Storm, Admiral and Blade going. Once that happens it becomes next to impossible to not use his 2nd for draw without spells. Unesh can be replaced with Fleet Swallower, Muldrotha the Gravetide; or what I'll switch it out for most likely if I get it; Tempest Djinn(he's cheap and ramps quick with his blue bonus).