Champion Reward Update for Select 3-Stars (4/21/17)

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm. Although I was happy to receive an XFDP cover for my (now) level 185 Psylocke, my 5/0/3 Peggy is crying because it means I won't be receiving a yellow cover for her :(.

I'm glad with the KK update though. I've kept her at level 182 for quite a while already, because her next champ reward cover will currently be a Thoress blue, that I already have 5 covers in. With 6 or 7 KK covers on the vine right now, that means I don't have to sell them off or desperately attempt for that last yellow cover I need for Thoress (or invest the CP). [ context : had her at 4/2/5 for very long, and since bonus heroes are a thing I did win a red cover, but that last yellow cover still eludes me ]
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    While I understand that not everybody would be 100% happy with all the changes, I still think it's a welcome and necessary update. The only thing I did not understand is why Colossus was not updated too...? He will still be rewarding X-force covers (along with Patch), so why not have him reward Nova covers (same color scheme), and then change Strange rewards to Mordo (who still hasn't a feeder)? 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Works well for me for the most part. Just over a week ago I got the needed Peggy yellow from 3* Cap marvel, to get to 5/3/5 (after burning many Peggy reds). Champed C4rol last week.
    Now to get to work on Vision (lvl 197) as the sole BH, to get my final Wasp blue, hopefully saving a couple of her yellows I'll have in the que.
    Also just got Thanos to lvl 183 to snag that champ level for Rulk, since spider-woman is already at 13 covers and holding there for the foreseeable future. 
    Also, Psylocke will award Peggy's lvl 271 for the LT finally.
    Need Bl4de green badly (5/2/5), so that will take forever, but he's in tokens for a while yet.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you got the old rewards you dont get the new ones right?
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage said:
    if you got the old rewards you dont get the new ones right?
    Correct.
  • Arks
    Arks Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Argh just missed the wasp cover from Vision that I needed to champ her for a cyclops red that I can't use :(
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited April 2017
    Style55 said:
    Meh whatever. Some of the old champion rewards were fine. The only one I'm even excited about is 4Carol. Also Brigby at some point would it be too much to ask that the 3* characters reward 2x characters instead of just 1? There are more 4*s to begin with, which would help...plus there's 100 champion levels for a 3* I don't think that giving out 6 characters from 166>266 is too "rewarding" 

Edit: Brigby is there a reason why we can't pick our own character rewards for champion levels? TBH I couldn't care less about certain 4* characters. Like when/if DrStrang3 gives out Mordo. 
    (Disclaimer: I am not a designer, therefore the following comments are purely my own speculation, and not official reasoning from D3 nor Demiurge)

While you are correct that there are more 4-Star characters than 3-Star, based on my knowledge, the difference is only 6 characters. (5 if you count the upcoming 3-Star Star-Lord)

When it comes to why players aren't able to pick their own characters rewards, I would imagine one reason is to encourage players to use characters they wouldn't normally use. For instance, I never felt enticed to play Kamala Khan, but knowing her reward is going to be Medusa makes me want to try her in DDQ to get those covers, so I could champ her. Little did I realize that I could combo her with Iron Fist and Thor to generate a TON of green tiles, which funds strike tile generation, so now she pops up more in my roster choices than before. 
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Well, my Blade is ten covers away from second 4-star reward. 4blade is a lot closer to be finished than Ghost Rider so that's fine.
    Thanos goes from giving a champion level to giving a champion level. OK.
    I have now four days to get four Vision covers so I can get that Cyclops.

Everything else is far away from any cover reward.  I wish I could have gotten that Peggy Yellow.
  • Nightghost
    Nightghost Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    so where is full list? 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

@Brigby, can we assume that all of these characters will be out of the vault next season?  As it stands, ~1/2 are vaulted 3*'s...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ZootSax - personally I assume no such thing. Everyone is still available through the DDQ even if it takes quite a bit longer to get the covers that way.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was going to use my 223 KK reward for LThor reward, but after pulling so many Medusa rewards lately, think I'll just wait until the change now and use the medusa one for an extra champ level. Kinda disappointed to have to do it, but can't afford to champ both medusa and LThor now. Glad that I did have the time to make this decision though it is greatly appreciated.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    @Brigby, can we assume that all of these characters will be out of the vault next season?  As it stands, ~1/2 are vaulted 3*'s...
    Why the heck would you assume that? Champion rewards and character availability in tokens aren't related to each other at all.

Besides which, (just over) half of all 3*s are vaulted, so this sounds like a pretty average distribution to me.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the update on this. I just set Blad3 as my sole bonus 3* because he's at lv 182 and I don't need another black Bl4de cover. My Ghost Rider, however, has only two red covers, so hopefully I'll get one before this change occurs.

I literally leveled Kamala to 183 minutes before reading this and got a blue 4Thor that I didn't need, meanwhile Medusa has one lonely purple cover. That one stings a bit.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    @Brigby I just got 223 KK the day before this was posted and got an unusable Thoress. Is there any possibility CS will swap that Thoress for the appropriate Medusa?
    Never got an answer so I opened a ticket, we'll see what happens.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @broll My apologies. I must not have seen your notification earlier. 

To my knowledge, the Customer Support policy is to not allow for swapping of Champion rewards, especially if there is advanced notice of the change.

Having said that though, if you already have a support ticket open, then I'd just follow up with Customer Support on the policy and see what they say.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Lucky timing for me. I have Thanos at 182 and Kamala at 222 with covers waiting. 4* Thor is usable but I'll wait it out, Medusa needs covers. I did just champ Rulk, but Spiderwoman would give a LT for her next champ reward.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    @broll My apologies. I must not have seen your notification earlier. 

To my knowledge, the Customer Support policy is to not allow for swapping of Champion rewards, especially if there is advanced notice of the change.

Having said that though, if you already have a support ticket open, then I'd just follow up with Customer Support on the policy and see what they say.
    Yeah they denied it.  It would be great in the future if you guys tried to get these notification out 2 weeks early.  2 weeks being the maximum time one could hold onto a cover.  This would allow the maximum amount of people to choose which is better for them.  Oh well, c'est la vie.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker

Damn, my own fault, but I recently reached level 183 with KK and wondered if I should hold off for the change to Medusa, or get my 5th Blue for Thoress.

I decided to get the 5th Blue, and then realised yesterday that my 3* Storm will also be giving me a Blue Thoress once she reaches 183

Made the wrong call on this one, heed my cautionary tale if you are in a similar situation!

• Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    We still got two characters which give the same 4*:
    Colossus & Wolverine ==> Wolverine (X-Force)
    Ragnarok & Daken ==> X-23

Would be nice if they could change Colossus and Ragnarok to give one of the characters that aren't available as a Champion reward yet:
    - Agent Coulson
    - Cloak & Dagger
    - (Devil Dinosaur)
    - (Howard the Duck)
    - Mordo
    - Riri Williams
    - Spider-Gwen
    - Venom (Agent Venom)