When will you stop playing?

Options
user311
user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
This game will never get to the point that I can say I have beaten this game. I could never reach a point where I will have all the characters maxed out and even if did today, the next day a new character would be released. I really like playing this game, but it does take a lot of my time and I'm feeling starting to get more and more discouraged for playing a multiple day event only to get worthless rewards.

So I'm just curious what other people think? At what point will you either stop playing or put this game in your casual play list.

Comments

• I will stop playing when it becomes pay2play rather than pay2improve. I don't do casual game list. 1 game gets my attention / $$$ usually, though I am looking for an Xbox 1 game to play on the side also. So who gets my $$$ this month, MPQ or Thief.
  • Once I get a fully functioning dream team that isn't set up for a nerf. Also a 230 X-Force.
  • user311 wrote:
    I'm feeling starting to get more and more discouraged for playing a multiple day event only to get worthless rewards.

Maybe that's part of the problem right there. You're looking at the length of the events and only focusing on the end reward. Absolutely, it sucks when you put in dedicated hours over, what, ten days or so, and end up coming 150th or something sad like that, but look at what happened on the way to the finish line. You earned tokens, boosts, got to play with a variety of heroes and unless you really didn't put in any time you'll have walked away with thousands and thousands of earned ISO along the way, leveling up your heroes further.

Or, to put it in a more zen outlook: It's all about the journey.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Or, to put it in a more zen outlook: It's all about the journey.
    More people need to remember this. The only point to the rewards at the end of each milestone is to allow you to continue the next leg of your journey.

For myself, I'll stop playing when I stop being enticed by the rewards. I'm a collector and I like seeing change. As such, my roster has at least one cover of every 3*. I love leveling them up - I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of each guy's numbers so I can make sure every team I field has the colors covered, has the right AP tanking at different levels, and who will be buffed in which tourney. Keeping track of that and getting creative with my teams is as much a part of the fun as anything else.

Speaking of which, I just hosed myself by leveling Punisher from 80 to 88. He now tanks one of the colors that my cover-capped 92 Hulk used to tank. Whoops. Guess I won't be fielding those 2 together for a while.
  • I'll stay with it as long as the PVE content is interesting. The last two events have been cool, and I think the overall PVE design is improving. (Scaling implementation is another matter, but I'm sure they'll fix it.)

New Character design seems a little stale to me; they need to start adding abilities that are functionally different from the generic attacks/attacks + strike tiles/attacks + attack tiles/protect tile generating routine. I know they've made some board-changing moves that have caused problems with balance, but those types of abilities are neat and without them the game is kind of boring and repetitive. So, if, in the future, we reach a place where the market is flooded with boring characters, I might stop just because there's no incentive to keep collecting.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    you'll have walked away with thousands and thousands of earned ISO along the way, leveling up your heroes further

This. ISO is the most precious commodity in the game - I think alot of people overlook that when talking about what they got from an event or tourney. This is one reason the boost changes are actually appealing to me. The fact that they're more cost prohibitive means I beat what I can when I can, and don't spew ISO on boosts trying to get a few more rank points when that probably won't help me out as much in the long term. There are exceptions when that one more 3x230 in PvE or 3x141 PvP might get me into a higher reward tier at the last minute, but by and large I'm happier just focusing on maximizing ISO.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    you'll have walked away with thousands and thousands of earned ISO along the way, leveling up your heroes further

This. ISO is the most precious commodity in the game - I think alot of people overlook that when talking about what they got from an event or tourney. This is one reason the boost changes are actually appealing to me. The fact that they're more cost prohibitive means I beat what I can when I can, and don't spew ISO on boosts trying to get a few more rank points when that probably won't help me out as much in the long term. There are exceptions when that one more 3x230 in PvE or 3x141 PvP might get me into a higher reward tier at the last minute, but by and large I'm happier just focusing on maximizing ISO.

Agreed, my ISO generation has gone way up. In the past, the meta was to use boosts for quick victories so you were forced to boost if you wanted to keep up.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    I'll stay with it as long as the PVE content is interesting. The last two events have been cool, and I think the overall PVE design is improving. (Scaling implementation is another matter, but I'm sure they'll fix it.)

New Character design seems a little stale to me; they need to start adding abilities that are functionally different from the generic attacks/attacks + strike tiles/attacks + attack tiles/protect tile generating routine. I know they've made some board-changing moves that have caused problems with balance, but those types of abilities are neat and without them the game is kind of boring and repetitive. So, if, in the future, we reach a place where the market is flooded with boring characters, I might stop just because there's no incentive to keep collecting.

+1 - PVE content

I could care less about PVP content beyond it allowing you to succeed in PVE once you get enough covers. The story is the long-term draw, and I probably would have moved on even though I enjoy the game, had they not introduced new plot/story segments with new blood.

What would really help is to have more constant content as many have suggested - Extend permanent missions after the prologue. Perhaps you might have only a few good covers in each but something to do between grindy pve/pvp content
    Lets see a chapter 1 tab, chapter 2 tab, chapter 3 tab etc.
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    Moon 17 wrote:
    I'll stay with it as long as the PVE content is interesting. The last two events have been cool, and I think the overall PVE design is improving. (Scaling implementation is another matter, but I'm sure they'll fix it.)

+1 - PVE content

I could care less about PVP content beyond it allowing you to succeed in PVE once you get enough covers. The story is the long-term draw, and I probably would have moved on even though I enjoy the game, had they not introduced new plot/story segments with new blood.

What would really help is to have more constant content as many have suggested - Extend permanent missions after the prologue. Perhaps you might have only a few good covers in each but something to do between grindy pve/pvp content
    Lets see a chapter 1 tab, chapter 2 tab, chapter 3 tab etc.
    I'd love to see the final mission in those permanent chapters be one copy of the cover that you fought to get when it was the release event. So Chapter 4: Brotherhood ends and a couple weeks later it becomes a new tab where the final mission offers 1 copy of that character (and of course the final mission would have 3x230's icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • dearbluey wrote:

Completely agreed. In the past few weeks I've taken my Patch from 60->85, Mags from 60->85, GSBW from 45->70, Hulk from 20->70, Punisher from 20->65, and more. My roster is far better and more rounded than it was before the recent spate of PvE tournaments. The covers I've won have been useful for the PvE events where the characters were required, but the ISO has been far more useful than the covers.
  • I am already playing less except during lightning rounds. With the terrible ISO gain from repeating prologues versus the harsh downtimes, it makes it much less fun to have characters unlocked high enough to cap, but be unable to cap them without spending months grinding. I am grateful for the lightning rounds, they keep me interested for now, but with the last PvE event being "Buy these characters or you can't play", it really pissed me off.
  • I love RPGs, leveling characters, improving skills and Marvel so I suppose I would stop when it's announced that there will be no more new characters introduced AND I've maxed everyone. But even then I'd use the game to kill free time every once in a while.
  • octagon69
    octagon69 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I play this game at work mostly.

So I'll stop playing when I find a job that I don't hate or boring.

I'll play this game even when Hearthstone comes out on phones.
  • Answer: When I stop having fun.

That's what broke me of:

WoW (Cataclysm was not fun for me)

LoL (I'll still occasionally play this maybe once every other week...but I get sick of the people playing it.)

The closest this game has come to that for me was the recent Heroic fiasco. The current event scaling I'm much more...comfortable with.
  • I'll stop playing when it gets boring/repetitive of course. I really enjoy interesting new characters and interesting new PVE content, so as long as both are flowing I'm game. I should add that I am somewhat picky about that "interesting" qualifier though. The story chapters are getting really really REALLY boring repetitive with the nonstop fights against the same small list of Dark Avengers. The recent Simulator event, on the other hand, was a blast so hopefully they can find a way to include the fun/fresh challenges of Simulator events with the neat plot and dialogue of the story chapters to make something that will hold my interest long term. In regards to characters, I'll echo what other shave said in that they need to branch out a bit and get more creative with abilities. I think right now they have put concern for balance over concern for an interesting game and it's going to limit them in the longer term. While I like some of the mechanics such as strike tiles/attack tiles/protect tiles/countdown tiles/web tiles they need more board control abilities. Dr Dooms Technopathic Strike is a great example of the kind of mechanic I like and there should be a version of it for every color dangit!
  • I stopped playing for 3 weeks and started again 10 days ago. It was a much needed break and I will probably leave again after the next event. If there is not much to gain I will leave even before that.
  • When my OCD latches onto something else.

EDIT: Ooh, Disco Zoo. Goodbye forever!
  • I should add to my previous comment:

When I was a kid (maybe 8, 9 years old) I got super in to Tetris, played way too much, then couldn't get the shapes out of my head. I saw them everywhere, eyes open or closed, didn't matter.

That freaked me out so I stopped playing. I would probably do the same if I got to that point with match 3.