skip tax didn't help mmr...

Options
13»

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They may have to tweak, but I think this will help down the road. It creates incentives to keep going and not to skip, and penalties if you do, it's the perfect risk reward system, they may have to make the postive more positive and the negative more negative but its a great start. It doesn't fix the match making overall, but it's a decent band-aid while they do.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    They may have to tweak, but I think this will help down the road. It creates incentives to keep going and not to skip, and penalties if you do, it's the perfect risk reward system, they may have to make the postive more positive and the negative more negative but its a great start. It doesn't fix the match making overall, but it's a decent band-aid while they do.

Everything is a god damn band-aid that tries to dance around the broken MMR: Shields, skip tax, etc...

They should just address the broken MMR already.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Everything is a god damn band-aid that tries to dance around the broken MMR: Shields, skip tax, etc...

They should just address the broken MMR already.

agreed, but this is a decent band-aid, but you are 100% correct
  • In my opinion it's not even half-decent.. in fact it worsens the mmr-problem.
    Now i've known about the possibility of tanking for quite a while and avoided abusing the system like that for a while, being able to pick fights i was able to do without too high a hp-loss and gaining enough points for it to be worthwile.. with the introduction of skip-tax i feel like i'm being forced to tank in order to not have only people with chars at lvl 100 and above show up (having 89 as my highest lvl char due to lack of covers)
    So yeah, my impression/estimation is that tanking became a required core mechanic through this in order to compete/progress for people with mid-lvl rosters....
    Sadly those people are being screwed anyway... High-lvls get an advantage in pvp while low-lvls get an advantage in PVE once you start actually investing iso into 3* characters without having the covers necessary to max those or at least get them above the effective lvl of 2*, you're playing at a disadvantage
  • I was doing some lightning rounds yesterday, and once I get to a certain level of points, all I see are the same 5-8 users worth 12-21 points. Even though I was in 142nd place, so there were plenty of people above me. So, I keep mashing skip hoping for a decent opponent, after losing a coulple hundred ISO, dejectedly I hit a guy for 20 points and then he retaliates for 31.

Sigh

I'm really losing my patience for this game. It's starting to feel like a job and not casual fun.
  • Skip tax is just stupid if nothing changed, same people with low points keep rotating in your list and you just lose 10 ISO over and over, punishing us for wanting to do good and be efficient in the game? Great plan!
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why is everybody still calling it 'skip tax'?

I've skipped matches a fair bit, but overall, I'd say I still got more ISO from those matches I didn't skip over those that I did skip.

I agree though, that so far it doesn't seem to help, at least on the short run. Mabe if retaliations were ditched (or the attacker doesn't lose point when retaliated against) people would be less prone to skip over the low reward matches.
  • I agree though, that so far it doesn't seem to help, at least on the short run. Mabe if retaliations were ditched (or the attacker doesn't lose point when retaliated against) people would be less prone to skip over the low reward matches.

The day they change it so that attackers do not lose any points when retaliated against, will be the day that PvP becomes pure grind. I don't like people hitting me for points, but I'd prefer that over having to grind match after match to get anywhere in brackets. Just wouldn't work, in my humble opinion.
  • I've now skipped a retaliation and had the guy replaced with the same guy. I've also had a skipped guy turn up two skips later in the queue. They really need to fix this system; we shouldn't have to pay to skip retaliations at all.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I was doing some lightning rounds yesterday, and once I get to a certain level of points, all I see are the same 5-8 users worth 12-21 points. Even though I was in 142nd place, so there were plenty of people above me. So, I keep mashing skip hoping for a decent opponent, after losing a coulple hundred ISO, dejectedly I hit a guy for 20 points and then he retaliates for 31.

Sigh

I'm really losing my patience for this game. It's starting to feel like a job and not casual fun.

So in the LR the game has shifted (at least from my 2 top 25 performances) from trying to find people worth decent points to people you hope wont retaliate. It will cost too much Iso to look for the few people above you so try to fight people who will be scared of you and not fight back. That's right the new system encourages picking on the weak even more than the old at least for those people high on the leaderboards with few people above them.

An even match against someone lower in the leaderboards than you just means they will retaliate for a net lose to you. You have to punch those that are very unlikely to punch back in order to move up. Retaliations just need to go.