skip tax didn't help mmr...

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I just unshielded in no holds bar. Fought 2 guys, skipped 7 and saw the same guy 3 times for 10-14points. I thought the skip tax would help with more ideal match ups not hinder growth.

Comments

• over time, it likely will. It just launched today.
  • In all likelihood, the person you're seeing hasn't logged in yet and certainly picked fights harder than he can handle because of the skip tax and hasn't had his MMR lowered as a result. That said, I'm skeptical that such a chain of events will happen enough for people's MMR to stop being so inflated. I can't imagine risking 30 tournament points (especially in an event I care about) instead of 50-60 ISO to skip people I don't want to fight.
  • I think it will take at least a week (several tourneys) before we will be able to feel the effects of boost changes and no-skip rewards in the mmr.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It wont completely solve the problem but it will mitigate it. While you're still going to skip the fights that you really really don't want to face (high level hulks), there is significantly less incentive to skip teams that you know you can fight, but don't want to because you want to be lazy and stomp on even lower level teams. There is a far greater incentive to not skip and just fight the teams that you get matched up with.
  • I don't think it's going to help much. If you give me the choice between earning 30 ISO against a hard opponent or spend 100 ISO to fight a cupcake, I know what I'm picking every time.
  • ApolloAndy wrote:
    In all likelihood, the person you're seeing hasn't logged in yet and certainly picked fights harder than he can handle because of the skip tax and hasn't had his MMR lowered as a result. That said, I'm skeptical that such a chain of events will happen enough for people's MMR to stop being so inflated. I can't imagine risking 30 tournament points (especially in an event I care about) instead of 50-60 ISO to skip people I don't want to fight.

It's going to make tanking that much more important, and it may lead to people basically opting out of events if they can't get good matches easily. If it had been in place for the 1* tournament, I might not have bothered at all.
  • Probably hadn't had much time to influence player behavior in the less than an hour it's existed.
  • I think people are assuming that there was more to the skip tax/bonus than just that. It's probably very likely that they did not modify the algorithm for picking opponents at all. Instead, the devs are probably betting on people taking more of the chosen opponents to win the extra ISO. This will lead to winning some and losing some, which over time will even out the MMR (in theory). As mentioned above, we won't see the impact of this for a while until more and more people start losing and MMR falling into place.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    It's going to make tanking that much more important, and it may lead to people basically opting out of events if they can't get good matches easily. If it had been in place for the 1* tournament, I might not have bothered at all.

Its would be sad if they implemented this without tweaks to MMR as would take an unfortunate play mechanic (tanking) and emphasize it. My fingers are crossed that over time it will ease, but this transition could be painful.
  • They're not going to 'fix' MMR so that you can find cupcakes that are worth 30 points easier.

With the overwhelming advantage for the attacker on the Spiderman vs Spiderman matchups, I think it's rather ridiculous people complain about enemies too tough. If you have Spiderman, nothing is too tough in this game.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    Might just be where I am in the game, but I see an overwhelming number of 11-16 point matches rather at or above my point level. I dont think they need to overhaul the MMR algorithm completely, just tweak it so its more of a bell curve centered on my current points.
  • Do people really skip opponents because they are too hard? I've never had that issue. I skip opponents because they are not worth many tournament points. Now I have to risk time unshielded to earn fewer points or spend iso. I kinda thought that was everyone's issue with the skip tax.

I DO see teams that are ahead of me in levels, but not all three nodes and not repeatedly. I guess I have just been lucky managing my MMR.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    There are probably a few people who skip due to matches being too hard, but most are either due to lack of value gained or annoyance (high Hulk).
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Might just be where I am in the game, but I see an overwhelming number of 11-16 point matches rather at or above my point level. I dont think they need to overhaul the MMR algorithm completely, just tweak it so its more of a bell curve centered on my current points.

That's because there are likely very few players who have comparable points as you. Whenever I start playing I hit a point where I'm top 5 in my bracket very quickly. Assuming my bracket isn't some kind of aberration compared to the norm, that means I have more points than 99% of the players. Of course it'd be pretty hard to find guys even close to your points when you're already above 99% of the players.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    That's because there are likely very few players who have comparable points as you. Whenever I start playing I hit a point where I'm top 5 in my bracket very quickly. Assuming my bracket isn't some kind of aberration compared to the norm, that means I have more points than 99% of the players. Of course it'd be pretty hard to find guys even close to your points when you're already above 99% of the players.

Good point. I feel (I dont have hard data) that this starts well before I get to the top 10, maybe somewhere around 50-20. Plus, I generally start late (the night of/before the end) so I would expect other brackets to be more advanced than mine. I find my brackets top out lower than what I see others on here talking about as well.
  • wouldnt know, dont have a psylocke...
  • Ugh, I was hoping this was some kind of error or joke. A skip tax, really? For those of us with lower characters, it makes it impossible to get ISO reliably. I frequently skip because facing a complete loss just due to not having ISO to even level up to be capable of winning these fights is idiotic. The level matching system doesn't exist. I don't mind facing opponents around my level, but often they match me with people with level 50-60-70 characters. I don't even have a level 50 yet. It's ridiculous. Sure, could I win? If the gems fall utterly perfectly and I can stunlock them permanently maybe. More often than not I do beat on some lower opponents because finding one my level is next to impossible. I can see taxing to skip lower enemies, but not higher ones.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Good point. I feel (I dont have hard data) that this starts well before I get to the top 10, maybe somewhere around 50-20. Plus, I generally start late (the night of/before the end) so I would expect other brackets to be more advanced than mine. I find my brackets top out lower than what I see others on here talking about as well.

While there is definitely variation on the brackets it's not like you'll be in top 5 of your bracket (top 1%) and yet your overall score is top 50% of the overall population. I've seen all the guys with 3X141 guys and often they're just trading points back and forth. Not counting the guys who are somehow insulated from the population (the high rating guys with only a level 85 guy) or the 3am warriors, I have no reason to believe there is supposed to be a large contingent of comparable roster strength players that the game is hiding from me. Now, I sure would like to be able to hit the guy whose highest character is level 85 that has 900 rating, but I can see why the game wouldn't let me do it either.
  • Pawkeshup wrote:
    Ugh, I was hoping this was some kind of error or joke. A skip tax, really? For those of us with lower characters, it makes it impossible to get ISO reliably. I frequently skip because facing a complete loss just due to not having ISO to even level up to be capable of winning these fights is idiotic. The level matching system doesn't exist. I don't mind facing opponents around my level, but often they match me with people with level 50-60-70 characters. I don't even have a level 50 yet. It's ridiculous. Sure, could I win? If the gems fall utterly perfectly and I can stunlock them permanently maybe. More often than not I do beat on some lower opponents because finding one my level is next to impossible. I can see taxing to skip lower enemies, but not higher ones.

If you're getting fights at those levels, you're obviously placing higher and winning above your objective "level."
  • I'm not liking this skip tax either. I think it's actually encouraging me to play dumb. My whole strategy is to attack players with a higher point rating than me. That way a retaliation won't hurt as bad to me. I want to earn more points from a battle than I risk in a counter attack, or in other words, attack up the points ladder. I rarely care the character level of the person I attack, I can take out most players on the offensive. Now, I actually have to pay to skip a player who's lower in points than I am. If I see a squishy target worth only 10 points, I'd rather skip it and find a strong target for 30 points.