Help me understand PvE scoring

Options
2»

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Champion fivestars aren't exactly an asset in PvE, they bring your scaling up to monstrous levels and you are more or less forced to use the fivestars all the time.
    Most of them aren't... but then you have some characters like Black Bolt, Strange and Thanos, who can help you clear the nodes faster than 4* rosters (well, at least when Iceman, Rulk or Peggy aren't boosted)
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I seriously doubt 5* scaling will go up higher when scaling is determined by SCL. The levels it scales to are appropriate, but the scaling curve for AI powers, etc, is extreme. Plus theres a lot more health to chew through with powers that dont deal much more damage than a boostes 4.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Don't forget, some of the people near or in the top five are doing 1 point clears also. Usually in the neighborhood of 2-300 per sub. I did 120 1 point clears on the first two subs. Final score 70400 and got second by almost 300 points. There is always someone out there that wants it more.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    metallion wrote:
    Another thing is what order you starting your timers. Obviously the higher scoring nodes regenerate points faster than the lower nodes, so you need to start the timers of the harder nodes first so you have more points during your grind. I have no data of whether its better to clear all nodes 3 times first before starting the timer, or to quickly open up all nodes and doing the 3 remaining clears to start the timer. I grinded just once for Medusa release using my first method with extremely optimal grinds and fast starts, and I got 2nd place, just a couple points behind first.

My typical play style is to clear the first node of a sub so that I can get to the essential nodes. I get four clears out of the way for the 4* first, then the 3* and 2*. I go back and play each of the other nodes once until I get to the final node worth the most points. I clear that one four times, then I go to the next most valuable node and clear it an additional three times, and so on.

Then when it comes time to do the final clear I start at the lowest level and clear everything once, leaving as much time as possible for the nodes worth the most points to regenerate as much as possible. If it looks like I won't clear everything down to one point, I'll switch and try to get as many high value nodes down to one as possible.
    metallion wrote:
    And also, you need to know how fast you can clear your grind so you can estimate when to start, the best is if you can finish just before the sub ends, maybe 1-2 mins. For that medusa release I did my grind for the first sub 10 minutes too late and missed out on a couple points, so I adjusted my timings and for the next 2 subs I finished my grinds with max 2 mins remaining. Never bothered to attempt that again because it left me in a huge amount of stress as the sub timer went down.

Yeah, that's kind of why I liked getting one of the clears out of the way a few hours early. I seem to have much less trouble getting two clears done at the end then three. I'm just going to have to learn how to manage three clears at the end better rather than two. I green checked all the nodes for the first round of Simulator, but got hung up on one of the clears for Gwenpool, Iceman and She-Hulk. So only the essential nodes got cleared to one point. I think I missed out on 350 or so points. Gonna have to start a little earlier on round two.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Nordlys wrote:
    I really think the placement reward structure needs changing.

I knew I had to play hard since Peggy is up for grabs. Ended with 70163 at #5, only 32 points ahead of #6. I would be really disappointed if i got squeezed out of T5.

However, what really bothered me was that all T3 players had full out champed 5* rosters. I know scaling is a thing, and I count myself lucky that I have IM40 and Dr. Strange among my first few 3* champs. Still, my roster can't compete with lv 450 OML, PHX, and Strange. I can't even imagine how other 3*-4* transitioners with less ideal PVE characters can comptete for placement covers.

The kicker? This is SLC 7. It's extremely discouraging for players with 3* rosters having to fight for 4* covers against 5* vets. Now that many good classic 4* are vaulted, there are basically no reliable way to get those covers.

I'm SHIELD Rank 71, early in the 4* transition. I have all of them rostered, but only one champed. Most of them aren't entirely useful. The only reason my roster is even as developed as it is, is that I cracked a hoard of ~46 LTs and ~1300 CP when Black Panther released. That's when I drew a large number of 4* tokens, including the final three 4* characters I hadn't rostered at that point.

I played a PvE event in SCL 8 once, shortly after hitting Rank 52 and qualifying for it. I struggled to get T50 for each sub, which was the threshold for winning 100 HP, which I seriously needed at the time. I think I barely finished T50 for the whole event. I went back to playing at SCL 7, so I could have a shot at earning 4* covers from placement, which has worked decently well.

What really needs to happen is for SCL 9 and 10 to open up, like yesterday, and the rewards need to be worth it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only player slumming it in SLC 7 because it's easier to win covers from placement here than it is in SCL 8.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Don't forget, some of the people near or in the top five are doing 1 point clears also. Usually in the neighborhood of 2-300 per sub. I did 120 1 point clears on the first two subs. Final score 70400 and got second by almost 300 points. There is always someone out there that wants it more.

Point taken. I'll just have to accept that, because there's no way I have the time or the desire to grind nodes 120 times for a point each time.