idea for new challenges?

Options
morgue427
morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
just an idea i think how about a pauper deck challenge? only commons and uncommons. the coding would have to be changed to give cards weight and checked before battle but it is there sort of already with the mastery system. i think it could be interesting plus it could lead to teiring based on decks being used also.
from there it could expand upwards easy like bling decks( all gold or set number) mythics and even just common only. I think that would give every one some challenges and a chance to try out all new decks

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like this idea, but as long as we are playing non-event decks it isn't viable. I have some great pauper decks but they won't hold up to Killwind's Dovin or Fiddler's Jace.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    I like this idea, but as long as we are playing non-event decks it isn't viable. I have some great pauper decks but they won't hold up to Killwind's Dovin or Fiddler's Jace.
    (Disclaimer: These are purely my personal ideas and opinions, and anything I present in this post has no guarantee that it will be implemented)

Well then what if it was a unique event where all decks are restricted to these "Pauper" Decks and "Royalty" Decks and placed in their respective tiers.
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    (Disclaimer: These are purely my personal ideas and opinions, and anything I present in this post has no guarantee that it will be implemented)

Well then what if it was a unique event where all decks are restricted to these "Pauper" Decks and "Royalty" Decks and placed in their respective tiers.

Absolutely. Honestly something that pushes real creativity amongst decks is far more interesting than gimmicky secondary objectives.

It would feel fresh and give us something to have fun with (similar ideas have been max 1 mythic or a points system but have a similar underlying theme).

I'd even enjoy an 'arena' mode which could be based around a pauper deck even if it's just runes for wins and no big prizes so we can just go in and have fun with it (but still see some value for most players).

PS could even call it Nodes of (Limited) Power
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:

This is not only a good idea, but also one that has been suggested multiple times in this forum icon_e_smile.gif
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In addition to Pauper events, I would also like to see what others are calling "Standard" format. There is no better way to welcome a new set then to create an event exclusive to those cards. It's quite frustrating to build whole new decks only to get steamrolled by the same old optimized grief decks.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    all good ideas really and would like to see them used somehow. i enjoy the challence of making a deck work from one interesting card like the curious homunculus, have a sweet one from him but not really anyway for it to compete in the challenges we have now
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This reminds me of the "common highlander" in MtG, where you where only allowed common cards in your deck. And except for lands you may only have one copy of each in your deck.

I'd love to see this for MtGPQ. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the idea of "pauper events". I had some pretty decent decks full of common and uncommon cards for a while. Another thought is to maybe make these enraged matches and/or putting a limit on the planeswalkers abilities( only allowing the use of the first or first two abilities).
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Uncommon only decks or common only decks sounds like a good event.

They should do a deck check before you enter the fight and if you meet the prerequiste, you get to play.

This is something I am looking forward to.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Kind of makes me wonder how paper MTG modes, like Planechase or Commander decks, would transition into MTGPQ
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    PQMTG decks are basically Commander decks already, the Planeswalker's colors determine the allowed colors. You build your deck and pick your cards around your Planeswalker's abilities, and you know that you can always count on having access to them. Basically, the only difference would be if we could have 40-60 cards decks instead of 10 cards decks.