Another One Trick Pony

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I just saw a screenshot (not sure if it's real or not) of N2's abilities at level 60. I have to say I was beyond disappointed. More energy, blah, blah, blah -- she's basically a green C2.

The thing you aren't realizing is that it is nearly impossible for the average player to build a decent energy deck. (Yes, there are a few elite players on this forum who have exclusive cards and enjoy using them) I am a Platinum player on a top 10 coalition so I have a fair amount of mythics and rares from this set and ALL of the commons and uncommons and I struggle to create a decent energy deck -- I can't imagine how frustrating this is for a new or mid-level player.

The cards are there -- I will give you that -- there are plenty of energy driving cards, but they are not playable against the ridiculous power creep that SOI cards give most decks -- in events and QB.

If you INSIST on continuing to offer us PW that are reliant on ONE very specific mechanic then please offer us cards that make that mechanic fun and competitive.

Even a one trick pony needs the tools to do its trick.

Comments

• buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Aether Revolt has a lot of work to do in making Energize and Overload relevant.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I saw the same screenshot, and I actually liked her ultimate. It's Nahiri-level of win. I was actually wondering why they didn't structure C2's the same way.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I know I'm only preaching to the choir but I am no fan of the Kaladesh set. Truthfully I've avoided these cards as much as possible especially energize and overload cards. I get them, I take a look, they go in my card pool and get forgotten.
    buscemi wrote:

With each new set and each new expansion we get a new set of dynamics. While I agree that there is work to be done, I'm not holding my breath. It's more likely that Aether Revolt will simply focus on giving us a new set of irrelevant dynamics.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    buscemi wrote:

Aether Revolt will mirror the paper set which we can already see all of. It has the opportunity to expand energize and overload as those exist there. There are creatures that generate energy when they attack and create energy when you take damage, so if those follow suit, generating energy for overload should become much easier.
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm actually more curious about the Revolt mechanic and how it'll be transferred over. At least that one can interact with non-Kaladesh cards.
  • SpaceDuck
    SpaceDuck Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Oh my god! That's disgusting. Leaked PW pics online! Where! Where did they post those?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh good.

You guys have graduated to complaining about cards not even revealed yet.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I saw the same screenshot, and I actually liked her ultimate. It's Nahiri-level of win. I was actually wondering why they didn't structure C2's the same way.

The Ult is great, would be nice to have the cards to get the most out of it without being an elite player.

Especially since they are going to force us to buy her for IF.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    madwren wrote:

The Ult is great, would be nice to have the cards to get the most out of it without being an elite player.

Especially since they are going to force us to buy her for IF.

The Ult can still add 60/60 even if you had no prior energy on the board and even if you dont have pig and stuff out. Thats pretty good actually even for people with weak collections.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    it is a one time shot for 24 mana that is rough but workable honestly if it was a support everyone would be screwed, because everyone would get her and get voyager with buffs. less worried now just because the ai will never get up to 24 normally so against them will be just inconvenient as long as you try not to let it build up. over all her mana is decent but not oppressive like kiora can be.
  • sageofhalo451
    sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Getting energy out and dropping the ult is not as terrible as people make it seem. 10 energy on the board is enough to kill any PW with the ult and 5 of that comes from the ult itself. Having an energize card charged up ready to go the turn before can help make that possible. Attune to the Aether etc. Cultivator of Blades multiplies the effect if you have it. Then you only need ~6 energy to drop a full health PW if you have three creatures out. Thus you don't have to make a full on energy deck just need it as seasoning if you will.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nissa can win games in one turn once she hits 24 loyalty with only one rare in the deck, Cultivator of Blades, a 3/3. Assuming you have no energy on board, a Cultivator that lost both it's Fabricate supports, and two other 1/1 creatures; when you pop her ultimate, you will hit the opponent for 111 damage that turn. Sure it requires you to have that one rare but it's only one card and it's a rare.
  • Ampmp11
    Ampmp11 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Step 1: Ramp
    Step 2: Trample
    Step 3: Cultivator
    Step 4: Ultimate
    Step 5: Win
  • AettThorn
    AettThorn Posts: 125
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    Nissa can win games in one turn once she hits 24 loyalty with only one rare in the deck, Cultivator of Blades, a 3/3. Assuming you have no energy on board, a Cultivator that lost both it's Fabricate supports, and two other 1/1 creatures; when you pop her ultimate, you will hit the opponent for 111 damage that turn. Sure it requires you to have that one rare but it's only one card and it's a rare.

Jeebus. Hope I'm playing as Sarkhan when that happens to me.
  • madwren
    Options
    For fun, I decided to take on the OGW-2 event with a level 6 Nissa2, and she managed to beat everyone up to Tyrant. I unfortunately couldn't keep up with his loyalty ability, though I was keeping his creatures under control.
  • AettThorn
    AettThorn Posts: 125
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    For fun, I decided to take on the OGW-2 event with a level 6 Nissa2, and she managed to beat everyone up to Tyrant. I unfortunately couldn't keep up with his loyalty ability, though I was keeping his creatures under control.

Level 6?
  • madwren
    Options
    AettThorn wrote:
    madwren wrote:

Level 6?

Yeah, I leveled her to her first loyalty ability and then ran standard ramp/big creature. Drana's Chosen gave me a bit of trouble when my defenders couldn't keep up the first few rounds, but I was able to persevere.