Dovin Baan: Official Thread

Alve
Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
edited October 2018 in Planeswalker Details

manawhitepngmanabluepngDovin Baan

Level 60 mana bonuses: +3 manawhitepng | managreenpng | manaredpng | manablackpng | +3 manabluepng
Level 60 HP: 114
Level 60 max Creatures: 5 Spells: 8 Supports: 5

Abilty 1: Tap the Aether - Cost 9
1 - Energize 1, then gain 3 mana
2 - Energize 2, then gain 4 mana
3 - Energize 3, then gain 5 mana
4 - Energize 4, then gain 6 mana

Ability 2: Aether Siphon - Cost 12
1 - Create a support with "At the beginning of your turn, Energize 1. Overload 3: Draw 1 Card."
2 - Create a support with "At the beginning of your turn, Energize 1. Overload 2: Draw 1 Card."
3 - Create a support with "At the beginning of your turn, Energize 1. Overload 1: Draw 1 Card."
4 - Create a support with "At the beginning of your turn, Energize 2. Overload 1: Draw 1 Card."

Ability 3: Aether Innovation - Cost 21
1 - Create a support with "Overload 1: Each creature you control gains +3/+3."
2 - Create a support with "Overload 1: Each creature you control gains +4/+4."
3 - Create a support with "Overload 1: Each creature you control gains +5/+5."
4 - Create a support with "Overload 1: Each creature you control gains +6/+6."

Cost to Max Level: 160,730 runes

Post your decks and tips for this Planeswalker below!

Comments

• Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
  • Well this is exciting. Thanks for updating the forum with all the new (and not so new) Planeswalkers!

Here is the Dovin I used for IF. He was actually very consistent in the event. With his mana production relatively low, I focused on high value creatures and board lock-down with Moon/Frog, with a little "energy synergy" thrown in.

Going forward, I'm hoping to eventually pull a Hixus and Suppression Bonds to build a more control-oriented version of Dovin.

Aetherstorm Roc
    Decoction Module
    Gisela
    Haunted Cloak
    Imprisoned in the Moon
    Lone Rider
    Oath of Gideon
    Prairie Stream
    Saheeli's Artistry
    Turn to Frog
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    honestly i think fevered dreams should be in it for 6 and being able to keep cards it is worth it i think and insidious will is a keeper best blue of kaladesh i think, the ai doesnt see it and waste their best card lol.
  • morgue427
    also smugglers copter may be worth a try too just to cycle through cards to get the one you need faster
  • Lightcell
    Lightcell Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Sky Pickle wrote:
    Well this is exciting. Thanks for updating the forum with all the new (and not so new) Planeswalkers!

Here is the Dovin I used for IF. He was actually very consistent in the event. With his mana production relatively low, I focused on high value creatures and board lock-down with Moon/Frog, with a little "energy synergy" thrown in.

Going forward, I'm hoping to eventually pull a Hixus and Suppression Bonds to build a more control-oriented version of Dovin.

Aetherstorm Roc
    Decoction Module
    Gisela
    Haunted Cloak
    Imprisoned in the Moon
    Lone Rider
    Oath of Gideon
    Prairie Stream
    Saheeli's Artistry
    Turn to Frog

Use imprisoned in the moon on your own creature then cast artistry on it
  • morgue427
    on a side not less of a control dovin and more of a swarmer scram(white mythic) and thopter sypnetwork would work amazing together each thoper that comes out give scram +1 and he is only 4 to start with 13 for network looks like a cheap starter
  • Gisa&Geralf Lockdown

Creature
    Gisa and Geralf
    Forgotten Creation
    Scrapheap Scrounger

Support
    Prism Array
    Sphinx's Tutelagep
    Drownyard Temple
    Dynavolt Tower

Spell
    Haunted Clock
    Fragmentize
    Imprisoned in the Moon

Other Blue Planewalkers can use this style. but If first skill is not mana boost, win rate will decrease.

Gisa and Geralf : Put 4 creature cards into graveyard, it will be Gisa and Geralf 1 card, Forgotten Creation 1 card, Scrapheap Scrounger 1 card, and etc. if you play Gisa and Geralf this turn, you will start next turn with full hand. when one of them is died, Scrapheap Scrounger will appear.
    Whenever You Play Gisa and Geralf, Your Deck is twisted. If you don't refresh your hand two times with Forgotten Creation, You will lose. Kiora Can escape this situation with second Skill. but Other Planewalkers Have to pray.

Forgotten Creation : Refresh Your Hands. if you played Sphinx's Tutelage, You can fill enemy's first card with 12 mana. If there is no Fogotten Creation in graveyard, kill it with Imprisoned in the Moon. lockdown will restart.

Scrapheap Scrounger : Discard by Forgotten Creation or Sphinx's Tutelage. Cast Haunted Clock to Scrounger. It will Remove your emeny.

Prism Array : Disable first creature. Add Cards before Lockdown. Combo with Sphinx's Tutelage.
    Sphinx's Tutelage : Combo with Forgotten Creation, Prism Array
    Drownyard Temple : Mana Boost. It is discarded many times by Forgotten Creation.
    Dynavolt Tower : For Baan. Funny Card.

Haunted Clock : For Block or Trample enemy. Use to Forgotten Creation or Scrapheap Scrounger. Gisa and Geralf must suvive.
    Fragmentize : For Enemy Supports.
    Imprisoned in the Moon : For Enemy Creatures. Kill Forgotten Creation sometimes.

if CPU get key card and set first, It don't check how much mana left.
    if You Add 12 mana to first card Every Turn, Enemy will be lockdown.

Pros : Win Rate.
    Cons : Too Much Play Time.
    WeakPoint : HEXPROOF with FLYING. Fast Shooting Deck.

Kiora Version Play : https://youtu.be/XyI25ChoJFQ
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    hapines75 wrote:
    Gisa&Geralf Lockdown

Creature
    Gisa and Geralf
    Forgotten Creation
    Scrapheap Scrounger

Support
    Prism Array
    Sphinx's Tutelagep
    Drownyard Temple
    Dynavolt Tower

Spell
    Haunted Clock
    Fragmentize
    Imprisoned in the Moon

Other Blue Planewalkers can use this style. but If first skill is not mana boost, win rate will decrease.

Gisa and Geralf : Put 4 creature cards into graveyard, it will be Gisa and Geralf 1 card, Forgotten Creation 1 card, Scrapheap Scrounger 1 card, and etc. if you play Gisa and Geralf this turn, you will start next turn with full hand. when one of them is died, Scrapheap Scrounger will appear.
    Whenever You Play Gisa and Geralf, Your Deck is twisted. If you don't refresh your hand two times with Forgotten Creation, You will lose. Kiora Can escape this situation with second Skill. but Other Planewalkers Have to pray.

Forgotten Creation : Refresh Your Hands. if you played Sphinx's Tutelage, You can fill enemy's first card with 12 mana. If there is no Fogotten Creation in graveyard, kill it with Imprisoned in the Moon. lockdown will restart.

Scrapheap Scrounger : Discard by Forgotten Creation or Sphinx's Tutelage. Cast Haunted Clock to Scrounger. It will Remove your emeny.

Prism Array : Disable first creature. Add Cards before Lockdown. Combo with Sphinx's Tutelage.
    Sphinx's Tutelage : Combo with Forgotten Creation, Prism Array
    Drownyard Temple : Mana Boost. It is discarded many times by Forgotten Creation.
    Dynavolt Tower : For Baan. Funny Card.

Haunted Clock : For Block or Trample enemy. Use to Forgotten Creation or Scrapheap Scrounger. Gisa and Geralf must suvive.
    Fragmentize : For Enemy Supports.
    Imprisoned in the Moon : For Enemy Creatures. Kill Forgotten Creation sometimes.

if CPU get key card and set first, It don't check how much mana left.
    if You Add 12 mana to first card Every Turn, Enemy will be lockdown.

Pros : Win Rate.
    Cons : Too Much Play Time.
    WeakPoint : HEXPROOF with FLYING. Fast Shooting Deck.

Kiora Version Play : https://youtu.be/XyI25ChoJFQ

Cool deck but too bad I don't have prism array to test it out.
  • morgue427
    shame on you killwind exploiting the last ability of hers like that. battled you in one of the valentines event thank god the ai is clueless on how to run it. saw that come out and i knew agaisnt you in person it would have been a loss
  • morgue427
    meant it as a joke sorry forgot the lol was a pretty nice deck wish i could pull skyship myself
  • morgue427
    sorry wrong forum dam it
  • SeditiousCanary
    SeditiousCanary Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I have been playing this:

Creatures:
    Electrostatic Pummeler
    Lone Rider
    Solemn Recruit

Spells:
    Anchor to the Aether
    Imprisoned In The Moon

Supports:
    Decoction Module
    Era of Innovation
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Sphinx's Tutelage
    Thopter Spy Network

The basic idea is to hold on until you can drop Hixus, Prison Warden to disable their creatures, and Aether Innovation, then hammer face. Imprisoned In The Moon, or Anchor to the Aether early threats. Get Decoction Module, and Era of Innovation out, then drop Thopter Spy Network. If you have Sphinx's Tutelage out, discard down to nothing as often as you can, and you'll usually drain your opponent for 6+ mana each turn. It may be wise to keep bounce/removal in hand for each creature in case they kill Hixus, Prison Warden, but it is a pretty hard lock most of the time. The whole board is energized, which does great things with Era of Innovation, and Electrostatic Pummeler, plus it means Aether Innovation will +6/+6 all your creature just about once every turn (unless you are matching for manapw.png), and drawing a lot of cards.
  • TheZorch
    TheZorch Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Dovin Baan is the only pw with which I had any success against Tezzeret, in the Coalition event. I tried my normally effective Ob Nixilus Deck, but it inevitably would run out of steam, or lose to a fully energized board.

Others have different cards, and so use different formulas, but you may be able to adapt this one for your card set.
    You will see at least one clearly inferior choice in the mix below...

Creatures:
    Gisela the Broken Blade (Lifelink)
    Startled Awake (mana)

Spells:
    Smite the Monstrous (point kill)
    Humble the Brute
    Disperse (Against the swarm of token creatures, this is a very cheap kill spell).
    Fragmentize

Welcome to the Fold (theft)
    Confiscation Coup (theft plus de-energizes gems!)

Talent of the Telepath * Card quality at no loss of mana *
    Day's Undoing - huge card draw, plus mana advanatage

Tezeret's deck and abilities are frighteningly good. He can cheaply create 4-power tokens, that fabricate. He has a creature that gives these tokens hexproof. His mana strength is fierce, his other creatures potent, and he has an endgame with Gonti's Aether Heart / Dynavolt tower that can end the game a single turn if the board is flooded with energy. ... and he has a stupid amount of life. .. so it's a marathon. About the only thing he doesn;t do well is kill your creatures (He does this too, just not as well).

To beat him I believe you have to be able to neutralize his threats, while ensuring that the board is never so flooded with energy that the endgame above can wipe you out in a turn. For me the key card for this is Confiscation Coup. Besides taking away a threat, it creates one for you, and clears the energy off the board. One nice side effect of fighting him is that he will usually make enough energized gems for you to cast this.

Humble and Smite help you control the board. Disperse does this too -- but its goal is always those damned token creatures. He makes so many of these you can never have enough Disperses. You will be using other removal on them as well.

Fragmentize is a little like fighting an uphill battle -- stemming the tide against so many supports, but i found it more helpful than another creature.

Gisela's main value is as a life linker flyer than doesn't have to block. Even with all this removal, in the games I won, I gained a hundred or (much) more life with her.
    Using your life total as a resource almost makes me want to use cards that pump power... Just can't spare the slot.
    But she is mythic, so you may not have access to her. You could try another life linker.
    Oh yeah, she also does damage.

But most of your offense will come form stealing his creatures. Not having to face that creature is nice, too.
    This actually makes Startled Awake doubly useful. Besides being the best mana burst blue has, it returns to your hand.... freeing up a spot to steal a creature.
    Oh yes, I have replaced a stolen creature with this multiple times, just so it could return to hand and allow me to steal another one. It's even better when you get to steal a second copy of a creature, and leave that spot open for the next one.

This may also be Day's Undoing;s best moment in the sun. You really need to keep refilling your hand. Wrecking any partially filled enemy spells and gaining some mana are nice side benefits, though.

Welcome to the fold is surprisingly useful. After a couple of rounds, you cannot steal the creature in the first slot, due to all the fabricate tokens, but there are at least two others worth stealing.... and stealing Baral is pretty amazing.

Since I got nowhere before this formulation, My 60% or so against Tezerret seems pretty good.
    Interested to hear how others have managed.

Other card Options I don't have:
    Exert Influence (cheaper than Confiscation Coup - but replace Welcome to the Fold instead - you NEED to periodically de-energize those gems!)
    Still, I wish I had this one to replace Welcome.

The Moon card. ... sigh. 8 mana isn't awful to kill a critter, but....

Other card Options I tried
    Dynavolt tower
    This makes and takes advantage of lots of energized gems -- it would inflict lots of damage, but this is not actually a great choice... with around 500 hp, the recurring damage is far less important than keeping the board stable. Every card has to keep Tezzeret off balance, or help keep you alive.
    Avacyn - The ability to get your opponent to crash into her or a large creature the turn after she comes out is great, and having a blocker can be worth some great breathing room, but Tezerret's creatures are often too large to be killed by this... it's good, but not as good as fragmentize, I think. YMMV.
    Silverstrike: The board just gets too busy for this to be reliable.
  • morgue427
    about the only thing i have really beat tezz with is gideon 1 but turning a cheap first stiker with life link is about the only way not dovin i know but perhaps sram with thopter network and one spell to turn a healer into a defender? would still take good luck, had tess cast 2 hearts of kiran in second round on me knew it was game over then.
  • TibbyGenn
    TibbyGenn Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    TheZorch wrote:
    Dovin Baan is the only pw with which I had any success against Tezzeret, in the Coalition event. I tried my normally effective Ob Nixilus Deck, but it inevitably would run out of steam, or lose to a fully energized board.

Others have different cards, and so use different formulas, but you may be able to adapt this one for your card set.
    You will see at least one clearly inferior choice in the mix below...

Creatures:
    Gisela the Broken Blade (Lifelink)
    Startled Awake (mana)

Spells:
    Smite the Monstrous (point kill)
    Humble the Brute
    Disperse (Against the swarm of token creatures, this is a very cheap kill spell).
    Fragmentize

Welcome to the Fold (theft)
    Confiscation Coup (theft plus de-energizes gems!)

Talent of the Telepath * Card quality at no loss of mana *
    Day's Undoing - huge card draw, plus mana advanatage

Tezeret's deck and abilities are frighteningly good. He can cheaply create 4-power tokens, that fabricate. He has a creature that gives these tokens hexproof. His mana strength is fierce, his other creatures potent, and he has an endgame with Gonti's Aether Heart / Dynavolt tower that can end the game a single turn if the board is flooded with energy. ... and he has a stupid amount of life. .. so it's a marathon. About the only thing he doesn;t do well is kill your creatures (He does this too, just not as well).

To beat him I believe you have to be able to neutralize his threats, while ensuring that the board is never so flooded with energy that the endgame above can wipe you out in a turn. For me the key card for this is Confiscation Coup. Besides taking away a threat, it creates one for you, and clears the energy off the board. One nice side effect of fighting him is that he will usually make enough energized gems for you to cast this.

Humble and Smite help you control the board. Disperse does this too -- but its goal is always those damned token creatures. He makes so many of these you can never have enough Disperses. You will be using other removal on them as well.

Fragmentize is a little like fighting an uphill battle -- stemming the tide against so many supports, but i found it more helpful than another creature.

Gisela's main value is as a life linker flyer than doesn't have to block. Even with all this removal, in the games I won, I gained a hundred or (much) more life with her.
    Using your life total as a resource almost makes me want to use cards that pump power... Just can't spare the slot.
    But she is mythic, so you may not have access to her. You could try another life linker.
    Oh yeah, she also does damage.

But most of your offense will come form stealing his creatures. Not having to face that creature is nice, too.
    This actually makes Startled Awake doubly useful. Besides being the best mana burst blue has, it returns to your hand.... freeing up a spot to steal a creature.
    Oh yes, I have replaced a stolen creature with this multiple times, just so it could return to hand and allow me to steal another one. It's even better when you get to steal a second copy of a creature, and leave that spot open for the next one.

This may also be Day's Undoing;s best moment in the sun. You really need to keep refilling your hand. Wrecking any partially filled enemy spells and gaining some mana are nice side benefits, though.

Welcome to the fold is surprisingly useful. After a couple of rounds, you cannot steal the creature in the first slot, due to all the fabricate tokens, but there are at least two others worth stealing.... and stealing Baral is pretty amazing.

Since I got nowhere before this formulation, My 60% or so against Tezerret seems pretty good.
    Interested to hear how others have managed.

Other card Options I don't have:
    Exert Influence (cheaper than Confiscation Coup - but replace Welcome to the Fold instead - you NEED to periodically de-energize those gems!)
    Still, I wish I had this one to replace Welcome.

The Moon card. ... sigh. 8 mana isn't awful to kill a critter, but....

Other card Options I tried
    Dynavolt tower
    This makes and takes advantage of lots of energized gems -- it would inflict lots of damage, but this is not actually a great choice... with around 500 hp, the recurring damage is far less important than keeping the board stable. Every card has to keep Tezzeret off balance, or help keep you alive.
    Avacyn - The ability to get your opponent to crash into her or a large creature the turn after she comes out is great, and having a blocker can be worth some great breathing room, but Tezerret's creatures are often too large to be killed by this... it's good, but not as good as fragmentize, I think. YMMV.
    Silverstrike: The board just gets too busy for this to be reliable.

Nice Summary, I beat Tezz with Dovin too using a very similar decks + tactics, agree creature stealing and energy removal is paramount to beating him.

Additional tactics, always steal the construct first if you can, this is his most important creature other than an early Skysovereign.

Use suppression bonds or claustrophobia because they neutralise fabricate and potentially Skysovereign or Heart. Likewise an S Bonds on a slot one Hexproof giver will allow you to steal the correct offender, so sequence correctly and keep this line in mind.

If you have a first striker which gets big enough give it the ability to block e.g. Gisela + something as simple and cheap as True Faith Censer means you get to constantly kill his board before it gets out of control.

Lastly, try to ultimate ASAP with Dovin, duh I know, but Tezz gums up energy so fast, you can punish him for it. Similarly Gonti's Aether Heart is good here.
  • Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Insidious Inspections
    Dovin Baan, Level 60

Creatures (2):
    Drowner of Hope
    Aetherstorm Roc

Spells (3):
    Sheer Drop
    Swift Reckoning
    Refurbish

Supports (5):
    Thopter Spy Network
    Insidious Will
    Prairie Stream
    Deadlock Trap
    Skyline Cascade

Insidious Inspections is a Dovin Baan deck built to utilize Drowner of Hope and it's disabling ability.

Drowner of Hope locks the opponents creatures down to set up the other cards.

Aetherstorm Roc is a beater that plays with energy.

Swift Reckoning will take out threats that get disabled.

Sheer Drop also removes disabled creatures but can also generate tokens to trigger Drowner.

Refurbish can bring back a support which is nice with Insidious Will.

Thopter Spy Network is the primary source to trigger Drowner.

Insidious Will can really cause problems for the opponent and Refurbish makes it worse.

Deadlock Trap generates energy and can help lockdown creatures until Drowner gets online.

Prairie Stream provides a speed boost.

Skyline Cascade provides a speed boost and can disable temporary.

Deadlock Trap generates energy and can help lockdown creatures until Drowner gets online.
  • TheZorch
    TheZorch Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Nice Summary, I beat Tezz with Dovin too using a very similar decks + tactics, agree creature stealing and energy removal is paramount to beating him.

Additional tactics, always steal the construct first if you can, this is his most important creature other than an early Skysovereign.

Use suppression bonds or claustrophobia because they neutralise fabricate and potentially Skysovereign or Heart. Likewise an S Bonds on a slot one Hexproof giver will allow you to steal the correct offender, so sequence correctly and keep this line in mind.

If you have a first striker which gets big enough give it the ability to block e.g. Gisela + something as simple and cheap as True Faith Censer means you get to constantly kill his board before it gets out of control.

Lastly, try to ultimate ASAP with Dovin, duh I know, but Tezz gums up energy so fast, you can punish him for it. Similarly Gonti's Aether Heart is good here.

Thanks! I traded S Bonds for Disperse becuase it actually kills the token, and the 1-shield support seemed to fragile. Matter of style.
    As you know, you cannot always steal the token, because of the creature that gives it hexproof... but having disperse means you can steal THAT guy and disperse the token. Essentially that mix takes some pressure off your steals. But I admit disabling a critter with all those fabricate tokens seems appealing.

I would LOVE to ultimate Baan -- but it always seems like I needed to cash in my loyalty for that next steal or kill... Tez spits out threats so fast!
    First striker + True Faith Censor seems good... Already playing Gisela.... but WHAT to take out? icon_e_smile.gif
  • AresOmega
    AresOmega Posts: 75 Match Maker
    TibbyGenn wrote:

This is precisely why I use Nahiri for this battle. Gisela + Haunted Cloak + Nahiri's first loyalty ability make a 12/12 first strike lifelink flying blocker for all of those pesky critters. Once I get it set up, it isn't too difficult to clear his board and keep it clear. Just use her first loyalty ability as soon as you can each time it is available and you can outpace all of the servos as well. Decimator and Ulrich also help to boost her further as well as giving her berserker and trample from Decimator.
  • TibbyGenn
    edited March 2017
    TheZorch wrote:

Thanks! I traded S Bonds for Disperse becuase it actually kills the token, and the 1-shield support seemed to fragile. Matter of style.
    As you know, you cannot always steal the token, because of the creature that gives it hexproof... but having disperse means you can steal THAT guy and disperse the token. Essentially that mix takes some pressure off your steals. But I admit disabling a critter with all those fabricate tokens seems appealing.

I would LOVE to ultimate Baan -- but it always seems like I needed to cash in my loyalty for that next steal or kill... Tez spits out threats so fast!
    First striker + True Faith Censor seems good... Already playing Gisela.... but WHAT to take out? icon_e_smile.gif

true, and I get that disperse is cheaper, but the token is coming back. The point is stealing it allows your first critter to be larger than theirs at most stages of the game.

A current deck I'm running: Deploy Goggles

I had previously disliked Pyromancer's Goggles since once you've paid 25 mana, you could've drawn and casted the spells already...until I realised the interaction with Deploy the Gatewatch. Since it is only 2 mana more and if Deploy is your only spell, you get to Deploy over and over again way too cheaply. Way to bust a stupid card even more.

Many games end after deploying 3-4 times since they are dead before more can be deployed.

Until further upgrades:

Gisela - best white racer in the game
    Sphinx - reduces the amount of outs you opponent can have
    Metalwork - would really like Decimator or Emrakul here
    Aethersquall - currently flexing this slot

Deploy

Goggles
    Silverstrike - non negotiable, creature removal in support form, better than s bonds most of the time, even though I love me some S Bonds, due to the fact it kills quick a goes.
    Archive- flexing this slot
    Thopter Spy- flexing this slot
    Prairie Stream - flexing this slot

Gideon 1 allows 7 supports, meaning you get to sculpt which 2 creatures you want.

Now if only I can open Decimator/Olivia/Emrakul...

edit: yeah because I play Gisela + blocking, I get to kill his whole board every turn (or every 2 turns for the construct) which means I get the save up mana for stealing the construct and loyalty to ultimate quickly. I find this is a very faster line to killing him if you can manage to assemble. I've also stolen lightning runner and whale and played whale myself and goodness me it's a bloodbath. Take that Tezz!
  • TibbyGenn
    While all creature removal is good, most are one shot kills, which become redundant, not to mention Tezz races one shot kill too quickly sometimes.

For Tezz, I would take out either smite or disperse for True-Faith Censer.

It really is that good at keeping you alive or killing and controlling his board, unless you have other ways to give blocking. Sadly I don't own cloak yet.