Thinking of a 3* team.

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm thinking of sinking a lot of iso into my first 3* team but I don't want the team to be bad and waste my time.
I was thinking:

GSBW : 5/3/5

The Hood: 5/5/3

The Hulk: 5/3/5

The hood holds them down and has a yellow ability while hull tanks and feeds bw green with 5 anger.
It seems powerful on paper but I must not sure about it in practice.
I'm still a long way from getting all the covers but this is what I'm aiming for.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• 1st step - pick your favorite 3* cover. Any at all. Can be based off skills or looks or you just like them.
    Then when you pick them build your team around them to synergize well.
  • The scarecrow in the room is that the game is limited on health packs and grinding. If you do not have a healer in your lineup you will be unable to sustain pvp runs and long play sessions. Prologue healing will work but is very time consuming and gets old fast. That team is probably more adequate than some for defensive purposes but unless the game mechanics are redone we are stuck with what we have.

The last two 3* characters released have purple and blue powers, in theory offer alternatives to Spidey healing, but in reality not even close. They would have to Funbalance him really hard to even consider it. In most video games healing is either too good and/or mandatory or complete garbage and not worth the time.
  • 1st step - pick your favorite 3* cover. Any at all. Can be based off skills or looks or you just like them.

The hood was where I started, I just love his 'mana leech' ability and his comics are sweet as well
    Chimaera wrote:
    The scarecrow in the room is that the game is limited on health packs and grinding. If you do not have a healer in your lineup you will be unable to sustain pvp runs and long play sessions. Prologue healing will work but is very time consuming and gets old fast. That team is probably more adequate than some for defensive purposes but unless the game mechanics are redone we are stuck with what we have.

Would spiderman be a better option over GSBW?
    I was hesitant on him because of the nerf I've been hearing about?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It won't necessarily be fast, but it isn't the slowest team around.
    Good board control.
    No Healer, so you will probably have to stop chaining missions to go play a dedicated healing mission.
    No Stun for when things go horribly wrong.
    Weak on defence. Sure Hulk is a wall and Hood is annoying, but green will potentially be channeled into Hulk board rearranging powers rather than Widow's finisher.

Spiderman would be worse than BW. She's your only DPS and adding another utility slows this team right now. It would make it very annoying on defense, but not actually tough.
  • I like the Hood a lot, mine is cover capped at 2/5/3. I bought a yellow with some excess hp winnings.

I currently use OBW and will be doing so until the Spidey adjustment. My Spidey is only 3/2/3 and level 15 as well. I would like to use Patch, Hood, Magneto/Spidey. but am a ways off. Covers will dictate what you can and cant use unless you want to spend real dollars on things. For instance I started playing the game mid first Hulk event, my Hulk is still 3/0/0.

Max covers on Punisher(115) and Patch(141) because they were featured in tourneys. I know I sold enough covers to make a second Patch.

It all depends on what you want to do in the game. If you are a grinder you need access to a healing source. If you are off and on player, the health pack mechanic will benefit you more than myself and may cover your healing needs.

I basically gave up on this PvE round. I do not enjoy being beaten by 1* teams nor enjoy playing incredibly hard/boosted PvE with minimal to negative enjoyment.

Edit: But all that aside, Eddie surmised it well, it kills but not fast. You will take damage. It is not a team I personally would avoid playing against, it does not have a realistic chance to one shot my characters so it is a safe attack.
  • Next NHB event I'm rolling with Patch/Hulk/Magneto.

Patch tanks red, yellow, green, and purple shrugging off any match damage, and has four colors to fuel his red attack.

Hulk tanks black, so if Patch needs a breather or enemy has hit an AP threshold, you can match black to trigger anger (something i like to do after a beserker rage gives enemy strike tiles) which can often lead directly to another beserker rage.

Mags tanks blue, offers another option for one shot one kill with Translocation that doesn't expose him to early match damage since Patch tanks purple. Can also spam Blue and Red after Patch lays down some strike tiles.

Opposing teams will have to:

1. maintain stun-lock

or

2. kill Mags before he can get 10 purple, then Patch before he gets 14 red, and not enrage Hulk.

Heal Mags and Hulk in last venom mission as necessary.
  • The Hood is kinda hard to work around but he fits in almost everywhere. Hard to pick a real good pair for him but I've been having a lot of fun with my
    105 Dr D 5/5
    90 spidey 5/3/4
    105 Hood 5/5/3

Hood steals ap. Spidey stuns.
    You have 2 great yellow choices. Healing and ap steal / damage. Both come in handy throughout the game. I typically always use each at least once.
    Dr D tanks and does damage.

Downside - you run completely off black blue yellow and some pink.
    Red and green are worthless here. It's weird cuz I still match red sometimes. Haha
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    You might as well make Hulk 4/4/5 or even 3/5/5 with that team, as you're very unlikely to be using Hulk's green when you've got GSBW's AoE
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Next NHB event I'm rolling with Patch/Hulk/Magneto.

Patch tanks red, yellow, green, and purple shrugging off any match damage, and has four colors to fuel his red attack.

Hulk tanks black, so if Patch needs a breather or enemy has hit an AP threshold, you can match black to trigger anger (something i like to do after a beserker rage gives enemy strike tiles) which can often lead directly to another beserker rage.

Mags tanks blue, offers another option for one shot one kill with Translocation that doesn't expose him to early match damage since Patch tanks purple. Can also spam Blue and Red after Patch lays down some strike tiles.

1. maintain stun-lock

or

2. kill Mags before he can get 10 purple, then Patch before he gets 14 red, and not enrage Hulk.

I did that recently; FUN team. Put in Spidey for Mags if health got low. Patch/Hulk/IM40 works really well too.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Good board control.
    No Healer, so you will probably have to stop chaining missions to go play a dedicated healing mission.
    Weak on defence. Sure Hulk is a wall and Hood is annoying, but green will potentially be channeled into Hulk board rearranging powers rather than Widow's finisher.

Spiderman would be worse than BW. She's your only DPS and adding another utility slows this team right now. It would make it very annoying on defense, but not actually tough.

Is there a better team to build around hood then?
    Something along the lines of spidey/hood/patch.

maybe The Hood just isnt tier 1.
  • I mentioned a team I thought was interesting on another thread.

5/5/3 Thor
    X/x/5 hulk
    5/3/5 BWGS

Thor's red makes yellow.

Thor's yellow makes green.
    Hulks black makes green.
    BWGS pink makes green.

BWGS has an awesome green. + you have 2 good tanks 1 of which can still pack a little punch if BWGS goes down.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Earthcore wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Good board control.

Is there a better team to build around hood then?
    Something along the lines of spidey/hood/patch.

maybe The Hood just isnt tier 1.

I like Spidey/Hood/Patch. You have a balance of annoying and DPS. You don't have the wall of annoying that is the Hulk, but if your opponent get a bad board against you these guys can do serious harm. It's generally what I play currently.

Or you can go OBW/Hood/Punisher. Complete Denial, some healing and you get to use the full rainbow. Which is good because you are stealing the full rainbow. OBW also makes it difficult to stun Hood. And when the computer plays it it can't get the abilities wrong, apart from intimidate vs molitov cocktails.
  • Earthcore wrote:
    I'm thinking of sinking a lot of iso into my first 3* team but I don't want the team to be bad and waste my time.
    I was thinking:

GSBW : 5/3/5

The Hood: 5/5/3

The Hulk: 5/3/5

The hood holds them down and has a yellow ability while hull tanks and feeds bw green with 5 anger.
    It seems powerful on paper but I must not sure about it in practice.
    I'm still a long way from getting all the covers but this is what I'm aiming for.
    Any suggestions?

First, pick your damage dealer:

1. GSBW (AoE attack, hence the damage will be divided)
    2. Patch ("The Best There Is" really is the best there is, just make sure his level is high enough so that he can tank red green and yellow tile)
    3. Magneto (i personally never use him, but heard a lot of good things about him, but he's in line for funbalance, so... not a safe choice)
    4. Ragnarok (works well with GSBW and Patch)
    5. Doom (works well with patch)
    6. Hulk (ap cost too expensive, not a fan of him myself)
    7. Ironman M40 (slow and costly)

Second, pick your support:

1. Spiderman (enough said, stun and heal, rinse and repeat, if you want to pair him with patch, make sure he doesn't exceed level 100)
    2. The Hood (must have 5 yellow and 5 blue to be effective, no need to level him more than 100)

Third, alternative/favorite:

1. Daredevil (never use him, currently doesnt have him, not a fan as well)
    2. Loki (works extremely well with patch, his purple skill "sometimes" help you a lot)
    3. Punisher (for him to be truly effective, you must "litter" the board with strike and attack tiles which is a deterrant for GSBW's deceptive tactics)
    4.Psylocke (N/A but will use her anyway. icon_lol.gif )

This is the best strategy icon_e_smile.gif you need to have fun with your team. My funny team with the hood is: Spidey/Hood/DD icon_twisted.gif traps over traps icon_twisted.gif
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Next NHB event I'm rolling with Patch/Hulk/Magneto.

1. maintain stun-lock

or

I did that recently; FUN team. Put in Spidey for Mags if health got low. Patch/Hulk/IM40 works really well too.

Decided to jump into the Elite NHB fray early... Patch/Hulk/Mags is even nastier than I imagined. I hope they don't nerf Mags too bad, I'm really liking this trio.
  • If Spiderman is the defensive magic sauce, Magneto is the offensive magic sauce. You can do all kinds of carnage when you take an extra 20 turns from Magnetic Field.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If Spiderman is the defensive magic sauce, Magneto is the offensive magic sauce. You can do all kinds of carnage when you take an extra 20 turns from Magnetic Field.

I was mowing down PVE goons with strike tiled augmented magnetic fields on top of 25% critical boosts. amazing how many times you can cycle through his blue attack (although you should fire off translocation before you start the spamfest)