Tanking

Options
WilsonFisk
WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I've only been playing about 2 weeks. I see a lot of references to tanking. Can someone explain to me exactly what this is? How do you do it, and what is the purpose? Thanks

Comments

• Tanking is using a team that is easily beaten to encourage people to attack you. MMR seems to work off of a win/loss ratio. The more you lose, the easier the opponents you face so typically people will find a tournament they don't care about, get a couple progression rewards and then use a team that is easily beaten to encourage people to attack them, thus lowering their MMR.

Tanking has been recently complicated by requiring you to win with your bad team. Whoever your last victory was with is who opponents will see. What I do, and I'm sure many other do as well, is join a tourney early so you will see the seed teams (usually all lvl 1-15). Leave one of those alive while you get the progression rewards you want, then beat them with your "tank team" (a group that is easy to beat). Then just ignore the tourney, watch your losses pile up and rinse/repeat until there is a tourney with rewards you actually do care about.
  • eckorock
    Options
    Tanking is using a team that is easily beaten to encourage people to attack you. MMR seems to work off of a win/loss ratio. The more you lose, the easier the opponents you face so typically people will find a tournament they don't care about, get a couple progression rewards and then use a team that is easily beaten to encourage people to attack them, thus lowering their MMR.

Tanking has been recently complicated by requiring you to win with your bad team. Whoever your last victory was with is who opponents will see. What I do, and I'm sure many other do as well, is join a tourney early so you will see the seed teams (usually all lvl 1-15). Leave one of those alive while you get the progression rewards you want, then beat them with your "tank team" (a group that is easy to beat). Then just ignore the tourney, watch your losses pile up and rinse/repeat until there is a tourney with rewards you actually do care about.

Is Tank the same as Tanking?

I'm still confused by what tanking is, can you give an example of how it works in practice? Does tanking apply to PvE events or just PvP ?
  • eckorock wrote:

I'm still confused by what tanking is, can you give an example of how it works in practice? Does tanking apply to PvE events or just PvP ?

Tank in reference to a character is a high hit point usually low damage output type. Think Hulk, Thor, Ares.

Tanking as a verb is purposely losing to help lower your rating used for matchmaking. Or in some PvE events helped lower the levels of the opponents.
  • eckorock
    Options
    UncleSam wrote:
    eckorock wrote:

Tank in reference to a character is a high hit point usually low damage output type. Think Hulk, Thor, Ares.

Tanking as a verb is purposely losing to help lower your rating used for matchmaking. Or in some PvE events helped lower the levels of the opponents.

OK thanks,

Can you explain in practise how tanking works?
    If you purposely lose then what is the consequence? How often do you have to lose? Do you have to lose with a strong team to cause an effect?
    Once you start losing does the change carry over to future tournaments? At what point can you start winning again?
  • It looks like your rating is determined by how often you win/loss, so you need to find a way to lose repeatedly. This is generally done by winning a seed match with the weakest team possible, usually at the beginning of a Lightning Round, so that you can get stomped by as many players as possible.

The MMR readjust itself pretty quickly though if you actually start winning.
  • eckorock
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    It looks like your rating is determined by how often you win/loss, so you need to find a way to lose repeatedly. This is generally done by winning a seed match with the weakest team possible, usually at the beginning of a Lightning Round, so that you can get stomped by as many players as possible.

The MMR readjust itself pretty quickly though if you actually start winning.

So to do Tanking you have to actually WIN with a weak team, in order for you to lose in PvP matches that you get automatically placed into.

So when you say "You need to lose" you don't actually lose matches on your own device, you just try to make yourself easily beatable when other people play against you on their device?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can lose however you want to. But if you actively lose you run out of health packs very quickly

Whereas if you put up a weak defense team sitting on a bundle of points, it can get beat on repeatedly at no cost.
  • eckorock
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    You can lose however you want to. But if you actively lose you run out of health packs very quickly

Whereas if you put up a weak defense team sitting on a bundle of points, it can get beat on repeatedly at no cost.

What is the practical impact of this, if you end up getting attacked and losing heaps of points, what then?
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    eckorock wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

What is the practical impact of this, if you end up getting attacked and losing heaps of points, what then?

Your rating has hopefully gone down and you can expect to face easier opponents for a while. The more you got beat down on the longer the reduction in difficulty should last.

I'm not sure if you are trying to work out how to tank AND win in the same tournament, which is practically impossible, or if you;re not getting the point of easier opponents.
  • eckorock
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    eckorock wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

Your rating has hopefully gone down and you can expect to face easier opponents for a while. The more you got beat down on the longer the reduction in difficulty should last.

I'm not sure if you are trying to work out how to tank AND win in the same tournament, which is practically impossible, or if you;re not getting the point of easier opponents.

OK so the purpose of Tanking is so that you can face easier opponents and win in the following tournmanet, NOT the one that you're 'tanking' in.
  • eckorock wrote:
    OK so the purpose of Tanking is so that you can face easier opponents and win in the following tournmanet, NOT the one that you're 'tanking' in.

Bingo!
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For example, if I tank with a weak team in Blind Justice, can I go back to my strong team in The Simluator? Not sure if the system sees the last team I used in a particular tournament, or the last team I used overall.
  • chadds wrote:
    For example, if I tank with a weak team in Blind Justice, can I go back to my strong team in The Simluator? Not sure if the system sees the last team I used in a particular tournament, or the last team I used overall.

You can because even though it's a competitive event, it's not PvP. PvE (player vs environment/enemies) and PvP (player vs player) are separate.
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    chadds wrote:

All tournaments are separate. So your team in the shield tournament can be different to your 2 day PvP tournament, different from your lightning round tournament and different again to your PvE tournament. Not that PvE actually has a defensive team.

Note that your client will try to offer you the team you last played regardless of tournament when you start a new battle.
  • eckorock wrote:

Bingo!

Although it is possible to tank mid event and still go on to do well in the same event. The only caveat there is that your tanking leaves you with a much reduced points tally and the grind back up will natually raise your rating again.

Primarily though, tank in events you don't care about, to do well in the ones you do.
  • Although you got a pretty good definition in the responses here, you can check out this thread I made with various other abbreviations commonly used on the forums.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3600