Theme packs

Options
James13
James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Is the drop rate different in theme packs, or is it just generally a bad deal?

As far as I can tell you could use 600 crystals to get:
70 Origins cards plus a guaranteed rare/mythic chance
75 SOI/EM cards plus a guaranteed rare/mythic chance
or
30 theme pack cards plus two guaranteed rares/mythic chances

I'm just wondering what the community thoughts are on theme packs generally. Do they have more favorable rates to make up for the very large general draw count loss? Does the reduced pool really in fact translate to more higher rarity on average?

Comments

• Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    anecdotally, I've had good luck with the theme packs. I bought 2 of the black creatures and 1 of the eldrazi one when they were out and was getting 1-2 mythics per and 4-5 rares. I actually pulled Olivia out of one. Almost every other card was a dupe.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Give it a shot. Best way to find out is to start opening packs. Once you draw all dupes, stop.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It depends on your collection. I have all the commons/uncommons, so I'm chasing mythics and rares. You can look at the available cards for that set by clicking on the "i". 300 manacrystal.png for a guaranteed rare or better is a better value than 600 manacrystal.png for a guaranteed rare or better. Plus if you have a particular card you want, you will be more likely to pull it from the smaller set on a card by card basis.