Hot Fix Maintenance (10/20/16)

Options
13»

Comments

• HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While there was "compensation" for the issues prior... 1k runes seems like a cheap "compensation" to most.

Remember, a lot of people were caught in the middle of one of their event matches (which probably cost them 5-7 ribbons!) - this could have easily cost them one or more completion rewards (which was an EMN booster pack, and potentially a number of crystals)! How does 1k runes make up for this?
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HomeRn wrote:
    While there was "compensation" for the issues prior... 1k runes seems like a cheap "compensation" to most.

Remember, a lot of people were caught in the middle of one of their event matches (which probably cost them 5-7 ribbons!) - this could have easily cost them one or more completion rewards (which was an EMN booster pack, and potentially a number of crystals)! How does 1k runes make up for this?
    I was in game during maintenance and I just left it open until maintenance ended then kept playing and didn't lose anything.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    HomeRn wrote:

I was in game during maintenance and I just left it open until maintenance ended then kept playing and didn't lose anything.
    Which was the smart thing to do (I did the same - as I was trying to submit my 7 ribbon win for a solid 20 minutes...). Question is - how many people other than us did the same thing?
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I informed myself and didn't battle around that time. Easy peasy.
  • Jester
    Jester Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    1000 xp runes. Wow guys, impress us with your compassion. Frankly that is an insult. Many players lost out on the chance to earn the final booster or gold rewards, but a few xp runes makes up for it, eh? Most players could have made more than that 1000 xp just doing quick battles or farming story mode for the hour the game was down.

Impressive "compensation" guys. Way to kill us with kindness. *spits*
  • galro
    galro Posts: 14
    Options
    I for one was OK, driving home from work, but others in my Coalition were hit by the problem.

There was the downtime when the event started. I know I couldn't get in for the first 40 minutes, and this caused some of the Aussies (and other Pacific Rim timezone) in our group to miss the start of the event (due to sleep) and the first reset, so they ended up a full cycle behind for rewards and progression. And my coalition leader (tjoffen), who posted on here already, did miss out on a 1-5th place (by 3 or 4 ribbons), so ended up in the 6-10 range. Now, no telling if there were others affected similarly, but quite likely.
  • Jester
    Options
    I know some people will say that they didn't have to compensate anything, "be happy with what you got" as it were, but the flip side is also true. Players don't have to buy cards, but they do. The dupe rate is horrible, but that is another topic.

I can say that a happy player is more likely to continue spending money than an angry or frustrated player. Is kicking down a free guaranteed rare booster or similar to make everyone happy going to promote spending more or less than a perceived insult of just 1000 xp?

It's business guys. Keep the customers happy, bottom line. Otherwise your company's bottom line will suffer.
  • yunnnn
    yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jester wrote:
    I know some people will say that they didn't have to compensate anything, "be happy with what you got" as it were, but the flip side is also true. Players don't have to buy cards, but they do. The dupe rate is horrible, but that is another topic.

I can say that a happy player is more likely to continue spending money than an angry or frustrated player. Is kicking down a free guaranteed rare booster or similar to make everyone happy going to promote spending more or less than a perceived insult of just 1000 xp?

It's business guys. Keep the customers happy, bottom line. Otherwise your company's bottom line will suffer.

(I posted this in the other thread, but you summarized my points very well so I wanted to expand on it)

The game's owners need to realize that whales don't just spend money because they have some abject addition to the game. Unless the game experience feels rewarding and the game is generous, there is no reason why I should spend 100$ on big boxes when I could go have a couple of steaks and a lobster. There is no reason why I shouldn't go find something else to play. BF1 anyone?

Did they even go through any sort of logic when deciding the compensation?
    1. Giving out 1000 runes is admitting that they did nothing wrong. Tons of bugs, tons of crashes, every event locks up at the beginning or end. Just because they don't admit it doesn't mean its not there. Good job devs: You've created an atmosphere where, despite all your hard work releasing new events and cards, you're labelled as incapable of maintaining your own servers and fixing bugs.

2. There is no incentive for the devs to fix their bugs. Why fix bugs when you can give out worthless magical currency?

3. Giving out a small amount of crystals has NO EFFECT on their bottom line. 250 crystals is nothing to a whale, and whales will whale in spite of it. On the flip side, boosting a starting player's crystals is only going to make them want to get into the game more, not less.

4. 1000 runes is 3.33 quick battles. Come on. It took me longer to write this post than to do 4 qbs.

5. The compensation is disrespectful and insulting. You guys took down the server with no real warning and made people lose their games! (And yes, I didn't lose anything, I saw the forum post...) There is no argument here. Besides the completely discouraging drop rates that Big Boxes have, the way that this compensation was handled is pretty good reason to stop whaling out of principle.
  • LeafHyren
    LeafHyren Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    Jester wrote:
    5. The compensation is disrespectful and insulting. You guys took down the server with no real warning and made people lose their games! (And yes, I didn't lose anything, I saw the forum post...) There is no argument here. Besides the completely discouraging drop rates that Big Boxes have, the way that this compensation was handled is pretty good reason to stop whaling out of principle.

This kind of issue does discourage me from buying crystals. The stinginess is unwarranted. But the silly drop rates would have resulted in less runes after converting all the duplicates into runes hahaha crystals and runes are closer in value, and a very low value at that.
  • Andrea
    Andrea Posts: 31
    Options
    Here maintenance took more than 1 hour in evening time (central Europe): exactly when I get back from work and I can play a little.

It prevented me to reach any booster pack or any gold in the event.
    I understand that I could have played late at night, maybe between 2 o'clock and half past 5 in the morning, but maybe you could have done maintenance during that time, instead than during of early evening, don't you?

But thank you for those 1k runes. Useful to recover the crystals and booster I missed for maintenance. Sure.

A.
  • PajdaCZ
    PajdaCZ Posts: 20
    Options
    Guys, all of you should stop whining. At least these devs CARE and REPLY here on forums. At least you DID receive A compensation.

Remember what happened to Marvel: Avengers Alliance, by Playdom? Thousands of players invested hundreds of thousands dollars there. Boom, shut down by Disney, no compensation, gg, hf.

Seriously. Think positive. "Hey, I just saved myself 3,33 QBs!"
  • Jester
    Options
    Think of it this way, server issue happens and requires maintenance for 6 hours. Do you want players (customers) spending that 6 hours getting progressively more pissed off at the whole thing, or smiling ear to ear because they know the devs are going to more than make up for it?

You should want people cheering when an issue happens to bring down the game, not frothing and rabble rousing. Again I will ask which scenario has a bigger financial impact? What does each really cost you?

You give everyone the best reward possible for the event that was disrupted, and everyone now feels like winners and they don't mind downtime at all. Or, You give a reward less than people could have made on their own with that lost time, and they will hate you for it.

The choice seems fairly clear to me.

--Jester
  • Pacone
    Pacone Posts: 61
    Options
    Aside the lost score, boosters and crystals, I needed a compensation for my wasted time.

When you work and have kids, free time is a precious thing, and the game has reached a point where frustration overcomes fun. I am certainly not the target market so I don't expect my customer satisfaction matters anyway.

I blame the greed of those who want the highest revenue with minimum budget, thus the weak servers, slow bugfixing (notice that new content is released without known bugs being fixed, emphasis on revenue), and lacking communication.

I think devs do care about the game, but they probably have no power over what business decisions are taken.

I enjoyed the game from the beginning, I contributed to it, but now it's time to visit other worlds.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm kinda amazed at the degree to which missing out on 1 hour of convenient playing time, as a one-off, got some peoples' knickers in a knot.

If you live in Australia or a similar time zone, then unless you don't have normal real life commitments, you will miss out on the key event-winning hour every. single. event. Because it happens at 3:00am. And no, we don't expect to get given even 1k runes for the trouble.
  • Pacone
    Pacone Posts: 61
    Options
    Unless you started playing last week, you should know this has happened with every single event and update released.

To me this is only the last drop. I am not leaving in disgust, but it's kind of sad that with Wizards of the Coast backing up this franchise, so little resources are put into improving it.

Also of note is how forgiving this community is, which only encourages to keep going with this (valid yet kinda unethical) business model