Devs - Nodes of Power ranking bug fix?

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm just curious if you guys have a fix for this coming. It's annoying to get a certain rank well before others and then an hour later get bumped down by people that tied the same score.

It's not really an event when the rules for winning aren't enforced.

Comments

• Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    I'm just curious if you guys have a fix for this coming. It's annoying to get a certain rank well before others and then an hour later get bumped down by people that tied the same score.

It's not really an event when the rules for winning aren't enforced.

I will talk to the engineering team to see if there is a bugfix for that.
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    Options
    I think a better fix would be to just grant the higher reward for everyone who ties on a score. In the greater scheme of things a handful of people getting a higher reward should not hurt anything and then it is not a race to see who can play the game fastest during what to most people is the middle of a work day
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    warcin wrote:
    I think a better fix would be to just grant the higher reward for everyone who ties on a score. In the greater scheme of things a handful of people getting a higher reward should not hurt anything and then it is not a race to see who can play the game fastest during what to most people is the middle of a work day

I thought there was some kind of official statement we were waiting for about that? I'm looking through the forums now for what's been said...

I've kicked up a bit of a fuss before because I thought I'd been dropped out of the top 5 because of this 'feature', but it turned out I'd just been ninja'd by another player scoring more than me at the last second so I let it drop.

In my current NoP bracket, there are 9 players on maximum points with about 1/3 of the games left to go, and I started a couple of hours late, so I expect I'll be back here complaingng about how I've been swindled out of my prizes soon enough.

This huge tie for first place has been caused by the new ability for players to turn down matches against opponents they don't like, and just play against easy ones. I hate this system... you have to exploit it to have any chance of the top prizes, but it robs the event of a lot of the tension that it used to have when it started running.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    warcin wrote:

I thought there was some kind of official statement we were waiting for about that? I'm looking through the forums now for what's been said...

I've kicked up a bit of a fuss before because I thought I'd been dropped out of the top 5 because of this 'feature', but it turned out I'd just been ninja'd by another player scoring more than me at the last second so I let it drop.

In my current NoP bracket, there are 9 players on maximum points with about 1/3 of the games left to go, and I started a couple of hours late, so I expect I'll be back here complaingng about how I've been swindled out of my prizes soon enough.

This huge tie for first place has been caused by the new ability for players to turn down matches against opponents they don't like, and just play against easy ones. I hate this system... you have to exploit it to have any chance of the top prizes, but it robs the event of a lot of the tension that it used to have when it started running.

With the official statement being that placings are supposed to determined by who got there first in the event of a tie, you're going to kick up a fuss if you get there late and not get to top 5? That's how it's supposed to work.

Now if you actually got top 5 despite entering the tie last... That's where you should kick up the fuss. You're all about complaining about bugs right?
  • shteev
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    With the official statement being that placings are supposed to determined by who got there first in the event of a tie, you're going to kick up a fuss if you get there late and not get to top 5? That's how it's supposed to work.

Don't link to it or anything, I'll just take your word for it, shall I?

So you're telling me the official system is that whoever plays their first five games as close to 5pm GMT on a Wednesday gets top billing? Well, what a grand system that is. I always wanted to know which of us was better at playing our games at a specific time.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Don't link to it or anything, I'll just take your word for it, shall I?

So you're telling me the official system is that whoever plays their first five games as close to 5pm GMT on a Wednesday gets top billing? Well, what a grand system that is. I always wanted to know which of us was better at playing our games at a specific time.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=48812

Kinda weird that you hang around here mocking every official statement and miss this. Even weirder is you complaining about the bug when you're not even aware of what the bug is.

First to the top claiming victory has always been the official stance even for quick battle. This is not new. What's also not new is the system not actually working that way in practice.

Quick battles also end at a specific time, which grants specific timezones advantage.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    With Nodes of Power back and scores clustered together since there's no optional objectives, what's the status of a fix for this?
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    With Nodes of Power back and scores clustered together since there's no optional objectives, what's the status of a fix for this?
    The status is "Nope".
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    JC talked to the engineers and they said "just don't check your score"
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    All this is when the top players had 25 points.

When I was tied for first, my initial rank was 9. Later, I rechecked the leaderboard, and I was up to 6. Later, I rechecked the leaderboard again and I was down to 15.

So it's not just that checking drops you to the bottom. Otherwise I would have gone down each time.

I was hoping the vague patch notes about ranking at the bottom of the last patch's notes were about this, but I guess not.
  • Talain1
    Options

Part of the problem here is that the AI is so bad that where one ends up in the standings (especially for higher levels) is often a matter of who managed not to draw the Gideon/Runaway Carriage matchups or who managed to not get killed by Ulvenwald Hydra/Seasons Past spam (like what happened to me twice in this current event - both times to the same deck by the same player, no less.) Or getting massively unlucky with matches, or your opponent getting massively lucky with cascades.
  • shteev
    Options
    "Usain Bolt streaks through to the finish line, that's another comfortable victory for him... but oh, no, wait, he's looked at the scoreboard, and now he's dropped to 6th!!! Rookie mistake."

Any movement on this issue yet?
  • Zero416
    Zero416 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Bumping this thread because once again this is an issue, albeit it affects a very small percentage of the population. It's frustrating to have a good running and not get your reward. I was ranked 5 with maybe 30 mins left to go and played the other event. When the event was over I was bumped to 6th. I had 70 points and missed my mythic and crystals please address this issue.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Zero416 wrote:
    Bumping this thread because once again this is an issue, albeit it affects a very small percentage of the population. It's frustrating to have a good running and not get your reward. I was ranked 5 with maybe 30 mins left to go and played the other event. When the event was over I was bumped to 6th. I had 70 points and missed my mythic and crystals please address this issue.
    Isn't it possible someone had banked matches and moved above you in that last 30 minutes? Unless you had a perfect score, how would you know?
  • Zero416
    Zero416 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I had a perfect score and a screen shot icon_e_sad.gif
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    This morning when I finished my last match I was in 4th place. So I got bumped down to 6th in the next hour even though 1-6 was a 6 way tie. (Which to my knowledge is impossible since I finished first.) Then, when I claimed my prize, I was back in 4th! So I have no idea what's going on. Either way I nabbed a General Tazri what what.