Hero Downed Timer Change Discussion

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
News posted here on an upcoming minor server side change. Reposted for people that don't want to click through.

Some of the characters in the game have had their Downed timers (time it takes to return to minimum health from being defeated) set incorrectly when they were released. We’ll be fixing this in an upcoming data patch. This is a relatively minor change, but figured that since it has impact in some positive ways for some characters and some negative ones for others that we wanted to get it out in front of everyone before it goes live. Note that these changes bring them into line with what the other characters of that rarity's timers are, so it's not really arbitrary, just a pure bugfix.

Changes:
Old -> New
    Ares - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Captain America - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Spider-Man (Bag-Man) - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Moonstone - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Iron Man (Model 40) - 5 minutes to 50 minutes Invisible Woman - 50 minutes to 100 minutes

Comments

• Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2014
    Options
    YEAAA nerf dat baglady

I propose this thread title be changed to:

When Sue Storm goes down, she takes twice as long!
  • Any possibility of having characters regen health (once alive) based on a percentage instead of a flat rate? That way every character heals in say 2 1/2 hours (the time it takes to get 5 health packs back).
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Any possibility of having characters regen health (once alive) based on a percentage instead of a flat rate? That way every character heals in say 2 1/2 hours (the time it takes to get 5 health packs back).
    It's on the list of quality of life adjustments that we'd like to do at some point but given that for the most part timers work "well enough", and when they don't Health Packs fill gaps it's not exactly a hot button item. But yes, possibility.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    any possibility of actually getting some life back for winning ot just not bothering with the whole heal business all together? As it stands now winning with less than 50% or less on any decently level character is pretty much a loss. Also Seeing as losing matches will be emphasis in the coming game development (mmr, skip tax, etc etc.)
  • any possibility of actually getting some life back for winning ot just not bothering with the whole heal business all together? As it stands now winning with less than 50% or less on any decently level character is pretty much a loss. Also Seeing as losing matches will be emphasis in the coming game development (mmr, skip tax, etc etc.)

It's already been announced a while back there IS NOT going to be a skip tax.
  • I want a refund on my Mk40, this change is pure kittens.

Kidding. Seems like a very minor change, I never even noticed that apparently IM40 has an obscene healing rate.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    any possibility of actually getting some life back for winning ot just not bothering with the whole heal business all together? As it stands now winning with less than 50% or less on any decently level character is pretty much a loss. Also Seeing as losing matches will be emphasis in the coming game development (mmr, skip tax, etc etc.)

It's already been announced a while back there IS NOT going to be a skip tax.
    there is a skip tax. for skipping more than 3 times. and that's not the point i was emphasizing.
  • Thanks for the heads up!
  • Puritas wrote:
    YEAAA nerf dat baglady

I propose this thread title be changed to:

When Sue Storm goes down, she takes twice as long!

This post did not receive the accolades it was due. Congratulations, sirrah! Well-played.
  • There needs to be some fundamental reworking of health regen, health packs and healers. The main reason why OBW and Spidey is on every team is because they heal and allow you to play constantly, long play sessions, lightning rounds etc. If you don't have it you have to stop, its not possible to grind sessions without them.

Not like they will every remove this health regen/health pack mechanic, but if it happened there would be far more team diversity than you can imagine. As it stands I feel I need to fit OBW on every team, and probably level Spidey once be gets funbalanced.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Off topic.

Are people really still calling it a skip tax? I like to call it a "more iso every fight" bonus... (iso farm tiem)

The fact that someone can choose to kill that bonus and make it negative through pushing "skip" a lot, well, that's their problem, not mine.

It'll even out with people getting more iso -- right up to the end of the round, when (just like your hero-points / boosts) you'll burn through as many as you want/can to get the position that you want.

On topic.

I am ambivalent with regard to the changes, as they're characters that I use rarely. I must admit that I did notice the IM40 timer was faster than other 3* to regen in the current tourney. *shrugs*

I would agree that overall having the heroes heal faster would be good -- topping out at the time it takes for 5 health packs to regen sounds about right. Maybe standardise around this? ie 1* hero takes a max of 0.5 healthpack time to regen (~15 mins), 2* hero takes a max of 1 healthpack time to regen (~30 mins), 3* hero takes a max of 2.5 healthpack time to regen (~1.5 hrs), 4* takes a max of 5 healthpack time to regen (~3 hours)? Just a suggestion.

Also, thank you for announcing the changes, minor though they may be.
  • Tannen wrote:
    Off topic.

Are people really still calling it a skip tax? I like to call it a "more iso every fight" bonus... (iso farm tiem)

The fact that someone can choose to kill that bonus and make it negative through pushing "skip" a lot, well, that's their problem, not mine.

It'll even out with people getting more iso -- right up to the end of the round, when (just like your hero-points / boosts) you'll burn through as many as you want/can to get the position that you want.

On topic.

I am ambivalent with regard to the changes, as they're characters that I use rarely. I must admit that I did notice the IM40 timer was faster than other 3* to regen in the current tourney. *shrugs*

I would agree that overall having the heroes heal faster would be good -- topping out at the time it takes for 5 health packs to regen sounds about right. Maybe standardise around this? ie 1* hero takes a max of 0.5 healthpack time to regen (~15 mins), 2* hero takes a max of 1 healthpack time to regen (~30 mins), 3* hero takes a max of 2.5 healthpack time to regen (~1.5 hrs), 4* takes a max of 5 healthpack time to regen (~3 hours)? Just a suggestion.

Also, thank you for announcing the changes, minor though they may be.

Some characters have regens related to thier character abilities. IM has a low one I assume due to either multiple suits or suit recharge or..something. dakan and wolvie have regen so they have lower ones as well.
  • IceIX wrote:
    News posted here on an upcoming minor server side change. Reposted for people that don't want to click through.

Some of the characters in the game have had their Downed timers (time it takes to return to minimum health from being defeated) set incorrectly when they were released. We’ll be fixing this in an upcoming data patch. This is a relatively minor change, but figured that since it has impact in some positive ways for some characters and some negative ones for others that we wanted to get it out in front of everyone before it goes live. Note that these changes bring them into line with what the other characters of that rarity's timers are, so it's not really arbitrary, just a pure bugfix.

Changes:
    Old -> New
      Ares - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Captain America - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Spider-Man (Bag-Man) - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Moonstone - 50 minutes to 20 minutes Iron Man (Model 40) - 5 minutes to 50 minutes Invisible Woman - 50 minutes to 100 minutes

Doesn't it seem a bit unfair when combined dynamic level scaling?

The more rare the character and the more HP the character has, the longer it takes to regenerate to full.
  • I agree with Bugpop - it's another example of how strange this game is.
    Yea - I got a three star cover! But now it takes so much more iso to level them up to useful levels.
    Yea - I finally got a Rags Red! Or leveled up Classic Storm! Nerf.
    Yea - I killed myself and got two Invisible Woman covers in the first tournament she was offered in! And now she sits unused for weeks because I can't get another cover so she's stuck at level 32. And also - for the record - she is much weaker than all the other 1 and 2 * characters I have at the same level. And should I ever get another one it'll take so much iso to get her up to high level.
    Yea - I got three Heroic tokens after days of gaming! Draw two caps and a wolvy.
    Yea - I have a leveled up 3* that I love to play! (Doom!) Oh, but when he gets hurt he has to sit out over twice as long as my less fun characters.

Really looking forward to getting that next IW cover so I can spend extra time getting her leveled up so she can still be mediocre and I can only play one match with her every 100 minutes.

So many mixed messages from this game regarding incentives.

On the bright side, I've learned to not spend $ on the game. The carrots just aren't tasty enough.
  • I always thought IM40's low downtime was supposed to represent rebooting the suit, or some such. Nope: typo!