POLL: Which PW do you avoid using the most and why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    One of the problems with blue PWs is that I think they would have to buff only their abilities (rather than making stronger blue cards). Stronger cards for blue would make Kiora (and Saheeli) even stronger, which wouldn't really make people want to play Jace and Tezerret more.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mcjordan wrote:
    One of the problems with blue PWs is that I think they would have to buff only their abilities (rather than making stronger blue cards). Stronger cards for blue would make Kiora (and Saheeli) even stronger, which wouldn't really make people want to play Jace and Tezerret more.

Part of the problem was reworking Mizzium Meddler and nerfing Jace's abilities all in the same patch.

While I agree Meddler made games a near instant win vs AI, it didn't need to be hit as hard as it was.

As far as PW abilities, his first was too spammable and needed adjusting. I feel that it could come down to 4-5 loyalty. His second ability got hit too hard considering other PWs can dump a free card for the same cost. Granted Jace has more consistency with his second ability since the player can control the spell it produces. Maybe tweak the mana fill a bit higher.

Jace's ultimate is pretty solid honestly. The only problem, and this problem has existed since I joined in March, is that his trap gems have no effect after an arbitrary series of events and/or turns that pass by. (Just like Liliana's grave mist)
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mcjordan wrote:

There are definitely ways to create cards which work better for mono-colored planeswalkers than dual-colored. Look at Corrupted Grafstone, for example.

It's also be possible to create cards which specifically referenced the planeswalkers they could be used with... perhaps a keyword like 'mono' which would specify that the card could only be used with a mono-colored planeswalker.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The problem with Jace is that his first and third abilities are just delaying and slowing for the most part. They don't move you toward the win.

I haven't leveled Tez but I think he would be next then maybe Nissa, but it's a very easy choice that Kiora for me covers the blue node and not the green one when I have to choose.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nexus13 wrote:
    The problem with Jace is that his first and third abilities are just delaying and slowing for the most part. They don't move you toward the win.

You could say the same thing about Ajani, but he's much more powerful than Jace. Disabling a creature is orders of magnitudes more powerful than giving it -5/-0.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    nexus13 wrote:

You could say the same thing about Ajani, but he's much more powerful than Jace. Disabling a creature is orders of magnitudes more powerful than giving it -5/-0.

As you said Ajani's first ability is better than Jaces, and it also has synergies with many potential cards that Ajani might run, some of which then allow you to permanently deal with the targeted creature. Ajani's third ability shakes the board and should net you mana moving forward which is active progress towards the win compared to the trap drains of Jace. Plus it has some potential to clear supports though that may be a good or bad thing. And of course being dual color Ajani has the broader card selection which is a very big ability. Also Ajani has more HP, lots of things going for him over Jace.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hi, just thought I'd pop in with my experience. Nissa is terrible, no matter what I do. Under normal circumstances, she's fine, but if the AI ends up dumping his entire hand down in a single turn (which happens more often than it should) then I find myself having to work extremely hard to get out of the mess.

In addition, I find that I have to keep weak cards in my deck like Reclaiming Vines just in order to counter a Suppression Bond / Prison Warden, whereas in other decks I would have a Demolish which costs much less and does much more. It's funny how if I play the same supports, the AI can immediately remove them the next turn, since they are placed in the most vulnerable locations. But if the AI plays it against me, I spend the entire match fishing for it unless I can remove it by spellcast.

I generally use Omnath as a sort of defense against the AI's magical ability to multi-multi-cascade, but if he gets removed or disabled I'm toast. Once again it's funny how the AI can get so many cascades without having any cards to build it up, whereas I can have 3-4 cards in my deck designed to build cascades and have a much tougher time achieving them.

Caveat, I don't have Jace, so if he's even worse then my condolences to anyone who bothered leveling him.

Another caveat, I have opened many many big boxes and packs, and have a decent library, so I can generally find a good build with any of the planeswalkers. Nissa has a much poorer selection of utility cards.