POLL: Which PW do you avoid using the most and why?

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Originally I was planning to just start a topic on how Jace needs some fine tuning, but I figured I'd see if anybody else thinks there are other PWs in a worse spot.

I've left Jace unused for quite some time and I think to myself it'll be a fun challenge to make a deck that he can be competitive with in QB. After an hour or so and various card combos, he just feels like a dud compared to the other PWs.

So that's my vote. Let's hear which you all refuse to play and why.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    I haven't played Jace, Nissa, Liliana, or Tezzeret is a while, and haven't bothered picking up Ajani yet. Ajani seems fine, but I'm very happy with Koth and Gideon 2 as my R and W walkers.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I play with all of them, but the newer ones are simply more fun. The one I play the least is Jace, because anything I want to do with him I just do better with Kiora. Liliana was second-least played, but recently I decided she had potential, and made an effort to get her prepped for this week's PVP. She's done well.

Note I don't own Tezzeret yet, so I don't really know if I'd enjoy him.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Jace is very good and stable.

He sucks at qb not because he's bad, but because he's slow and qb rewards fast decks.

He is a solid choice in an actual match like the pvp events where speed matters less than stability and high Winrate.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tezzeret, his abilities need to be redesigned Koth style. The only advantage he has is his mana bonuses. All of his loyalty is usually spent trying to maintain the supports on board using the first ability. His second is too random and by the time his 3rd can be used its too late

Ajani's abilities seem underwhelming as well right now. His ultimate kind of sucks comparatively. 12 loyalty also seems much to only possibly take out a creature and the life gain of 6 is negligible.

As for Jace's abilities... only his ultimate seems useful right now. I woulnt mind if they made -5 for his first ability a permanent debuff but increased the ability cost to 9
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jace basically cause I do not like it.

It is a battle of "who is worse" between him and tezzeret.

Being equally bad on skill comparison IMO, tezzeret wins cause of mana gains.

I do not use Chandra or nissa anymore for same comparison but those two are not bad on their own, just not as good Koth and Garruck.

For Gideon battle vs gideon ally is more a matter of taste. I like the cross sinergy of allies better.
    Ever battle feels different and also fair most of the time(if we exclude early mega buffed warleader).
    With Gideon battle forced is: take out first striker, buff.
    If destroyed repeat.
    If not destroyed go to win.

That why I voted Jace.
    Not fun to me(unlike Gideon ally) and not the strongest for the color IMO(unlike tezzeret).
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't have Tezz. because he looks terrible and I don't have the supports to run him anyway.

I chose Jace from among the PW'ers I actually own. He was my first lvl 50 PW back in the day and I owned the game with him. The problem is they nerfed him considerably because he was "too slow" for QB and they nerfed his best cards considerably. But the metagame has moved on so they could see about retweaking him.

I think he is ok as a base planeswalker, if a bit boring, but I'd rather get another multicolor PW in blue or green aside from Kiora.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just me voting Nissa, is it? I'm avoiding buying Tezz, but I actively avoid playing Nissa, largely becase of what I perceive as her lack of control. Sure, you can make a bunch of big creatures, but what do you do if someone gets lucky and makes bigger creatures? I haven't got the most impressive mythics you can play with her, and I havent got The Great Aurora so I can start over if something goes wrong, so I dont play her. Anything Nissa can do Kiora can just do better...

I know you can say the same thing about Jace, but I like Jace because he gets to play with blue cards. They're better than green ones.
  • Skullapius
    Options
    Poor Jace...
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've only G2 of the non-basic PW. I also voted Jace, but only because I'm currently running a really janky deck to master some cards. When it works well it's great fun. But that isn't often. I use his 2nd ability most of the time.

Bring to Light with Goggles.
    Highlights have been turn 1 Disciples and Hangerbacks. I win.

Losses much more often.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tezzeret. Haven't found a good deck to use with him yet... He's not horrible, just every other deck of mine works better.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Just me voting Nissa, is it? I'm avoiding buying Tezz, but I actively avoid playing Nissa, largely becase of what I perceive as her lack of control. Sure, you can make a bunch of big creatures, but what do you do if someone gets lucky and makes bigger creatures? I haven't got the most impressive mythics you can play with her, and I havent got The Great Aurora so I can start over if something goes wrong, so I dont play her. Anything Nissa can do Kiora can just do better...

I know you can say the same thing about Jace, but I like Jace because he gets to play with blue cards. They're better than green ones.
    I voted Nissa too. Without Undergrowth Champion or Animist's Awakening, there's very little I can do with her. I guess I could revisit her now that I've got Gladehart Cavalry, which I'm really liking in my Kiora deck, but as you say, anything Nissa can do, Kiora can just do better.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Chandra, because I inevitably use Sarkhan for my red NoP choice, almost have him to 60 now. Jace likewise has lost out to Tezzie for blue, still tinkering with the possibilities of both, finally got my skulker to play with...
  • BLACK LOTUS
    Options
    I avoid Jace but have been trying to play him more but he used to be quite powerful. I had a 30+ win streak with him in quick battlebefore they completely screwed his abilities and card abilities... like mezzium medler in one of the first updates.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Jace is very good and stable.

He sucks at qb not because he's bad, but because he's slow and qb rewards fast decks.

He is a solid choice in an actual match like the pvp events where speed matters less than stability and high Winrate.

For sure. Jace and blue can completely stifle the opponent. Though I've found the support Sphinx change to be a huge disadvantage for Jace. The "accidentally" popping the activation to force discard your last card has forced me to be forever mindful of what card is last in my hand.

The ability to bring Talent of the Telepath back into my hand for a one casting cost is great, especially with some higher cost spells, Bring to Light, and Mirrorpool giving me some great combinations.

His third ability can force an AI opponent to keep trying to cast the same card over and over, but with the Sphinx consistently forcing the CC up and the plethora of traps in play, you can completely dominate your opponent without needing a bunch of rare and mythic cards. It just takes a lot more time and careful attention than some of the other planeswalkers.

Obviously if you have a Kiora, you can build a blue/green deck that ignores slow and steady and just dishes out the firepower while keeping the opponent off his game.
  • Buret0
    Options
    Gun Bunny wrote:
    Chandra, because I inevitably use Sarkhan for my red NoP choice, almost have him to 60 now. Jace likewise has lost out to Tezzie for blue, still tinkering with the possibilities of both, finally got my skulker to play with...

Chandra was my #1 QB fighter. Had a massive 35 win streak going before losing to a Koth related game freeze.

Now I use Koth as my go to for red only battles. Man. During the enraged battles I would just do creature denial while building up some massive creatures to unleash the turn of enraged.

Mirrorpool, Tyrant, haunted cloak, uncaged fury, and rage of the mountain? 12 damage on summon from the double damage. 18/16 from the mirrorpool, 19/17 double strike from the uncaged fury, 27/17 from the rage of the mountain. Haste from the cloak. 54 damage per double strike from the enraged = 108 damage from one creature on the turn it was summoned. Only issue was trying to summon a couple of Gatstaf Arsonists or Village Messengers before turn 5 or I was going to miss out on 3 bonus ribbons. : )

My Koth deck for the last Enraged Event:

Scab Clan
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Mirrorpool
    Scour from Existance
    Gatstaf (event only)
    Village Messenger (event only)
    Tyrant
    Uncaged Fury
    Haunted Cloak
    Endless One (which I could have removed, I was just mastering it)

Normally there would be more red generation, board shake, but the bonus ribbons required some adjustments.
  • sciophobia
    Options
    I have been searching trying to figure out about the QB ribbon rewards. What are these used for in the game?
  • Buret0
    Options
    sciophobia wrote:
    I have been searching trying to figure out about the QB ribbon rewards. What are these used for in the game?

More ribbons means you place higher in each QB event. Your final standings determine the prize awarded (compared to the 3,000 people in your event).
  • majestyk5
    majestyk5 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    joining the forum just to vote for Jace icon_lol.gif
    the devs nerfed him too hard and his abilities are just bad compared to any of the other 5 starting PWs
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does Jace perhaps need rebalancing? All 3 of his abilities have been nerfed since the start of the game, along with a lot of his most power cards: Day's Undoing, Claustrophobia, Harbinger of the Tides (and all targetted bounce effects), Mizzium Meddler, Disciple of the Ring... probably some more I can't remember.

That said, I think Jace is still powerful enough to be viable to play in the Events, where winning is your only focus, even if he is too slow to compete seriously in QB with.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Does Jace perhaps need rebalancing? All 3 of his abilities have been nerfed since the start of the game, along with a lot of his most power cards: Day's Undoing, Claustrophobia, Harbinger of the Tides (and all targetted bounce effects), Mizzium Meddler, Disciple of the Ring... probably some more I can't remember.

That said, I think Jace is still powerful enough to be viable to play in the Events, where winning is your only focus, even if he is too slow to compete seriously in QB with.

Jace can do fine in a slow paced setting for sure, but even then many other PWs can create control decks and also have better PW abilities AND better hp.

Anyway, maybe people should thumbs up this thread so the devs will see how many people feel he's dropped off in viability