Accidentally ranked up and having less fun

Options
Lucidum
Lucidum Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I try to play this game casually and not take it too seriously. I've put effort in a few times in QB and Nodes of Power. QB takes up way too much time but I managed to get top 5 in Nodes twice, both times netting Mirrorpool. Exciting the first time, super disappointing the second. I don't spend money on the game because I disagree with how the playerbase is treated in that regard, so needless to say my collection is nothing special.

I was having a good time in bronze until about a week ago. Earning new cards and leveling new plainswalkers over time I rotated out cards not for the purposes of mastering them, just because I got better ones. I ticked over into silver with white and now I'm in silver every event. Now I can barely earn the baseline 150 point reward in the current event whereas before it was fine and I could just relax and wait for the next event. I'll have to stay up extra late tonight to try to get the last two wins I need. I feel like I'm being punished for getting new cards.

Anyone else have this problem? I don't care about being super competitive and I wish there was an option to just not rank up or something. icon_neutral.gif

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Try contacting Customer Support about it? They're terribly busy what with all the bugs and everything but they might be able to help you out.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Lucidum wrote:
    I try to play this game casually and not take it too seriously. I've put effort in a few times in QB and Nodes of Power. QB takes up way too much time but I managed to get top 5 in Nodes twice, both times netting Mirrorpool. Exciting the first time, super disappointing the second. I don't spend money on the game because I disagree with how the playerbase is treated in that regard, so needless to say my collection is nothing special.

I was having a good time in bronze until about a week ago. Earning new cards and leveling new plainswalkers over time I rotated out cards not for the purposes of mastering them, just because I got better ones. I ticked over into silver with white and now I'm in silver every event. Now I can barely earn the baseline 150 point reward in the current event whereas before it was fine and I could just relax and wait for the next event. I'll have to stay up extra late tonight to try to get the last two wins I need. I feel like I'm being punished for getting new cards.

Anyone else have this problem? I don't care about being super competitive and I wish there was an option to just not rank up or something. icon_neutral.gif

I don't think the purpose of the event is supposed to be for players to feel it's a cakewalk to get all the rewards with minimal effort.

You're getting more rewards just for being in silver I think, so consider this leveling up and facing higher level challenges. This is common in games. Are you trying to do objectives? 150 shouldn't really be that big of a target to hit if you are. My friend who started a month ago is hitting all the objectives in silver, and tells me he is always close to getting top 5.

Maybe take this as an opportunity to push limits? The better rewards are in the higher tiers, and you might look back in a month and feel glad you got pushed up.
  • Upstartes
    Options
    I did the first several PvP events in the Silver tier, but tiered up to Gold before the current one. The competition definitely got a lot fiercer. It hasn't kept me from getting the participation rewards, but it has prevented me from getting as high in the rankings as I used to. Sometimes it is frustrating due to the fact that some of the awesome combos are just so brutal. However, I also appreciate that there is some actual competition from the AI sometimes.

I'm ok with it for now, but I definitely won't grind my way to Platinum.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Upstartes wrote:
    I did the first several PvP events in the Silver tier, but tiered up to Gold before the current one. The competition definitely got a lot fiercer. It hasn't kept me from getting the participation rewards, but it has prevented me from getting as high in the rankings as I used to. Sometimes it is frustrating due to the fact that some of the awesome combos are just so brutal. However, I also appreciate that there is some actual competition from the AI sometimes.

I'm ok with it for now, but I definitely won't grind my way to Platinum.
    Might want to think again about going for Platinum.

As a Platinum tier player, you can expect some very interesting variety in the Terrors events - as the majority of players DO try for the bonus objectives. Which means less crazy OP combinations (especially from those that are in the top 25). Also, there's VERY FEW PLAYERS CURRENTLY in Platinum in comparison to Gold tier... which means it's not that competitive for right now!
  • Upstartes
    Options
    Huh. Maybe I will grind up to Platinum. Although I'm starting to run out of Mythics and Rares to help me get there.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Upstartes wrote:
    Huh. Maybe I will grind up to Platinum. Although I'm starting to run out of Mythics and Rares to help me get there.
    Just focus on one color at first; remember that colorless cards (especially Eldrazi) will help a tremendous amount in terms of color mastery as they give the most color mastery points - even though it's only half as many points for one color of the same rarity, colorless cards give 2.5x the points overall for all 5 colors.