Tile generation

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
It could just be my imagination here, but it seems in matches that certain colors tend to be generated more than others, according to power spread and level per character. Has anyone come across any positive indication that the system does tend to skew towards certain colors in a match, or am I just having selective eyesight?

Comments

• It may have to do with which characters are in the mix.

I played Modern Storm for a long time and against Venom/Daken, there always seemed to be a ton of black on the board at the start.

Now I don't use any characters with black AP skills and there seems to be less black and more colors I actually use, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I could be totally wrong though.
  • I found it to be a **** shoot really. Although, it does seem to come in streaks, which can be awesome or annoying. There was a point where I seemed to open with a favorable T or L formation 5 or 6 games in a row. Those were the days... (sigh)
  • You can drive yourself crazy trying to make sense out of randomness. If you feel like something is happening to you (you pull too many Bagman's or you get too many boards with purple tiles) you can make yourself hyper aware everytime it happens and totally forget the other dozen times where it didn't happen to you.

It's called confirmation bias.
  • I think it is random as well. Most of the time my team relies heavily on Red/Yellow and usually seems a reasonable amount, but sometimes I seem to starve for them.
  • I definately haven't seen any orange or white tiles in a long time. Something must be up. I think it was Mr. Green in the hall with the revolver. Now I'm going home to sleep with my wife.

How many did I lose?
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    I definately haven't seen any orange or white tiles in a long time. Something must be up. I think it was Mr. Green in the hall with the revolver. Now I'm going home to sleep with my wife.

How many did I lose?

All the internets. icon_e_smile.gif
    Toxicadam wrote:
    You can drive yourself crazy trying to make sense out of randomness. If you feel like something is happening to you (you pull too many Bagman's or you get too many boards with purple tiles) you can make yourself hyper aware everytime it happens and totally forget the other dozen times where it didn't happen to you.

It's called confirmation bias.

Thankfully, I haven't driven myself up the wall figuring out the chaos of the board, more of an observation in passing. Ultimately, judging by responses, it seems selective eyesight and remembrance is coming into play over anything else.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Thankfully, I haven't driven myself up the wall figuring out the chaos of the board, more of an observation in passing. Ultimately, judging by responses, it seems selective eyesight and remembrance is coming into play over anything else.
    I'll put down a confirmation for the randomness. Board generation and tile drops are a very simple random generator with a couple minor streak breakers built in so that there's a lesser chance of dropping in something like an 8 of a kind and a greater chance of dropping in a tile if the board has none of that type.