First Creature

Options
ReddMaxx
ReddMaxx Posts: 54 Match Maker
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
When a card says this effects the first creature, does it target that creature? More to the point is hexproof effected by spells that effect the first creature? Such as fleshbag and suppression bonds.

Redd

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    Unfortunately, it does. Fleshbag marauder won't kill a hexproof creature, even if it's the only one on the board.
  • Sinslayer5
    Options
    A real shame, since it's technically not being targeted...though I wonder: if cards with "the first creature" effects were NOT considered targeting that creature, which of those cards would suddenly be much better than they are now?

Thoughts?
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sinslayer5 wrote:
    A real shame, since it's technically not being targeted...though I wonder: if cards with "the first creature" effects were NOT considered targeting that creature, which of those cards would suddenly be much better than they are now?

Thoughts?
    Think none would be much better, it's just that hexproof would be easier to answer and there would be less need for mass removal.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Sinslayer5 wrote:

Thoughts?
    Think none would be much better, it's just that hexproof would be easier to answer and there would be less need for mass removal.

hex proof gives a good reason to include a mass effect spell, without which most will not include in their decks due to mana cost.

I love the hedron alignment card though. 3 mana to disable any creature of power 5 n above till the beginning of your next turn. icon_e_smile.gif
  • paralistalon
    Options
    It really is random how mechanics are programmed to work. Suppression Bonds won't stop a hex proof creature but Hixus will, for example.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It really is random how mechanics are programmed to work. Suppression Bonds won't stop a hex proof creature but Hixus will, for example.
    I remember clearly suppression bond to work on hexproof if it was already on the field before the creature(and if the creature would be summoned in first slot).
    It was during pve event so since then it could have changed.
    Would test it but... I don't want to icon_lol.gif
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    "first creature" acts like a targeted, because it targets the first creature. Hixus on the other hand disables any creature. That's why it works and suppresion bonds doesn't.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    There are so many inconsistencies in how cards are worded! Just now I discovered that a creature being put into play, such as Hangarback Walker putting a thopter into play, counts as playing a card (have to be careful not to call it a spell because in MPQ, unlike paper Magic, every card isn't a spell) for the purposes of triggering werewolves, but casting a second creature that reinforces one already in play doesn't count towards triggering werewolves... but it triggers any other ability that counts a creature having come into play!