Questions regarding PvP

Options
UrbanNinja
UrbanNinja Posts: 66
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Before criticizing PvP, I'd like to understand how it works a bit better.

1- Is matchmaking "ladder" like, or "king of the hill" where you have to face opponents of higher rank to progress? So far I've figured that it is not the case. In the first event, I registered very quickly and got stuck in Bronze league. Near the end of the event, I faced an opponent with close to 0 points and of rank 200 / 300 and higher. I finished the event around rank 15.

2- When opponents face my deck, which version is it? Is it the deck I had when I pressed "Join" or is it my current deck? It would really suck to change cards whenever I go idle. But since question 1 seems to indicate that everyone matches random opponents, then making a deck hard to win against does not really matter.

3- Is there any point to level more than 1 color to gold? I understand that future events will have color restrictions, but since events are announced a long time before they start, I don't think I'll grind for mastery right now

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I, too would like to know things about PvP!

Are the matches completely random, or do you get a balance of planeswalkers? Is some poor bloke going to have to play 40 Kioras sometime, while his bracket mates get an easy ride of Gideons and Chandras?

Were you going to tell us that people in our brackets get to play against decks we are not fielding in the event? Sometimes the decks I'm not using are full of all kinds of rubbish from Mastering cards, and they'd give an easy win to some luckster.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it is advantageous and does matter if your decks are harder to beat when other people face them. ALL of my matches so far have been with people in the same bracket as me , i checked after each match. Difference of even a single point is going to matter. So if your opponents lose to one of your decks then its difinitely going to give you an edge too, indirectly, by keeping them in lower ranks
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    UrbanNinja wrote:
    3- Is there any point to level more than 1 color to gold? I understand that future events will have color restrictions, but since events are announced a long time before they start, I don't think I'll grind for mastery right now
    So mastering a single color grants you access to gold?
    If that's the case my red is already silver, I could definitely grind at least it to gold.
  • UrbanNinja
    UrbanNinja Posts: 66
    Options
    I cannot say without any doubt because I'm silver in others, but I think that it is enough
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I entered NoP gold with only red at gold. The others were bronze. I focused my grind on one color to get there. A couple others are silver now.
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Options
    I was also in the Gold tier with only Black mastered to Gold.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I do not undestand the rules. How do you move up from bronze to silver?
    Does it depend on the amount of cards mastered?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MADAFAKA wrote:
    I do not undestand the rules. How do you move up from bronze to silver?
    Does it depend on the amount of cards mastered?
    It depends on the total mastery points you have earned for that colour. Mastery points are earned by mastering cards and each cards earns you mastery points depending on the rarity.
    C/UC/R/M: 2/4/8/16

Dual-colour cards contribute above numbers to both colours. Colourless cards contribute half above numbers to all colours (ie. C/UC/R/M: 1/2/4/8).

Bronze to Silver requires 100 points. Silver to Gold requires an additional 150 points. Excess points carry over.

Events will assign you into a tier based on the highest tier you have of the colour(s) the event is linked to. To see what colours are linked, tap the info button (i) at the top right of the event before joining.

Nodes of Power is linked to all 5 colours.