**** Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) ****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Let's hope they remember to give her an affiliation.

Protects into Strikes is really cool, vice versa is eh but utility. Annoyingly she is more reliant on other characters to make specials-i.e. protects. Sam Wilson Falcon is an obvious nice pairing. Otherwise save up 16 yellow with Mags or FalCap. Alternatively, you can have fun with upgrading strikes to stronger protects and then back again. 3 star Bullseye shenanigans just became even more convoluted and silly.

Anyone who produces lots of defense tiles is a potential match. Thing, cmags, etc. This powers looks like a decent little suport power, but it's not a premier power. Much more interested in passive ap theft. History suggests that passive ap shenanigans are very strong (peggy, hood, loki, etc).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is the he thing with her yellow. There are not enough 4-5* that create protect tiles to make it balanced. There are way more strike tile dealers in a this game. Also for a lot of people who give protect tiles use yellow powers.
    On the 4-5* level you have Mr. F, Green Goblin, Thing(only passive), 5* cap, that create protect tiles not using yellow AP.
    For her AP steal I can see this be like a combo of Hood and Falcon. You get to 5 AP and she starts stealing that color. Go below 5 AP and she stops.
    I hope her black is powerful and creates a strong protect tiles to flip. It would make her a lot more self sufficient.
    What is also sad is she is just an ok pairing with Ant Man. She could be a decent AP feader for his grow ability but it will still take forever.
    I would have liked her yellow to take strike to protect, protect to attack, attack to strike, and then create an invisability tile. When Ant Man and Wasp shrink they are essentially invisible since they are so small and can take a much bigger hit too. Having her invisible would give her the impression of shrinking and being to hard to hit unless it is by an AOE.
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Personally I think her combined with the thing will be a killer. Not on pvp defense but for offense and pve. He creates some of the strongest special tiles in the game when triggered and to change those to strikes and increase their values even more... Gotta be a great duo. Not to mention no active color overlap.
  • wymtime
    Personally I think her combined with the thing will be a killer. Not on pvp defense but for offense and pve. He creates some of the strongest special tiles in the game when triggered and to change those to strikes and increase their values even more... Gotta be a great duo. Not to mention no active color overlap.
    Here is the issue with your combo. Yu have to take the damage in PVE for those shield tiles to come out to flip to strike tiles. Also Thing can't take that damage. Things abilities are also very slow as they take a lot of AP. In PVE you can use Nova/X-23, iceman/IM40, im40/4thor, Quake/XFDP are combos that are much faster and can kill PVE teams with taking min damage. With having to do more fights in a row taking a hit to get shields to flip to attack is slow and inefficient.
    If her black produces a strong shield then you could use her with one of the other shield generators I listed above
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    in terms of 3 star partners i can see her working well with daken, sam wilson and maybe even blade. i would add in luke cage but the yellow overlap makes it so you use only one or another. cant wait to see what the final numbers are and just how well she really is. I mean look at other characters people started to rag on but when released people quickly changed their minds and loved them, or in 5 cap were right lol
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    geno685 wrote:
    in terms of 3 star partners i can see her working well with daken, sam wilson and maybe even blade. i would add in luke cage but the yellow overlap makes it so you use only one or another. cant wait to see what the final numbers are and just how well she really is. I mean look at other characters people started to rag on but when released people quickly changed their minds and loved them, or in 5 cap were right lol

I can't believe (no wait, I can) that we still don't have full skill descriptions out.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    I can't believe (no wait, I can) that we still don't have full skill descriptions out.

I really miss IceIX, he would've had her stats up days ago.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Thanos wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

You mean she.
    Ice was a lady.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

You mean she.
    Ice was a lady.

Luck is a lady, Ice was a dude named Joe. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    With full stats up in pve preview it's pretty clear 3/5/5 is the best build without getting into some really niche teams.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Not so sure. If you have a decent strike--or especially Protect--generator, 5/4/4 might be ideal. If she improves at all like Elektra's tile improving does, 3 ranks of Yellow looks like it'll boost by about 110, whereas 5 ranks boost by around 250.

So with just 4 weak protects out, that's +1000 Strike Tile strength, which is definitely worth 8AP in many cases. +110 each is much less worth it unless you have a flood--Sam Wilson or whoever. Yellow's going to turn the tide later in the match if you can some tiles out, though.

So she's not going to be top tier no matter what but she will be fun, and probably breath life into some weaker characters, basically anyone who makes 2 or more Protects at once by spending a color other than Yellow... And teamed with 3-star Strike spammers like Daken, Blade, Bullseye, gathering 16 Yellow AP will be incredib-edibly satisfying way to suddenly rocket to 3000+ Strike tile damage.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

You mean she.
    Ice was a lady.

Luck is a lady, Ice was a dude named Joe. icon_e_surprised.gif

Everyone on the internet is a lady
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    ErikPeter wrote:
    So she's not going to be top tier no matter what but she will be fun, and probably breath life into some weaker characters, basically anyone who makes 2 or more Protects at once by spending a color other than Yellow...

The problem is that now with 30+ 4s, all needing 370k iso to level, almost nobody will bother to max any char that it is not top or very good tier. Even much better 4s like Nova, Punisher and Quake that have been out for a while are still hard to see champed, so someone that is just meh or good is going to be completely ignored.

She is popular so some people might level her just because of that...
  • Vhailorx
    Polares wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:
    So she's not going to be top tier no matter what but she will be fun, and probably breath life into some weaker characters, basically anyone who makes 2 or more Protects at once by spending a color other than Yellow...

The problem is that now with 30+ 4s, all needing 370k iso to level, almost nobody will bother to max any char that it is not top or very good tier. Even much better 4s like Nova, Punisher and Quake that have been out for a while are still hard to see champed, so someone that is just meh or good is going to be completely ignored.

She is popular so some people might level her just because of that...

This black vortex event was the first time I saw a significant number of maxed/champed Novas. So I guess we can expect to see more Wasps sometime next February/March.

Ultimately, I am thinking she might have value slightly below Nova. Like him, she is a relatively fast strike tile generator. But where he has a 6ap quasi-stun power, she has a passive AP theft power (and a relatively hard to use stun too). She is also the most efficient strike tile booster in the game, since she can do every tile on the board for 8 ap. She doesn't seem to have enough all around utility to be top tier. But she will be a good enough support character to merit some use (if she ever makes it to the front of the iso line).
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I don't think her kit is very good but she seems very fun. I do want. Building teams around multidipping and buffing strike tiles is my favorite way of playing when I want to just have some fun.

I just wish there was another yellow battery besides Kingpin because 16 yellow is a lotttt. And his colors clash with everybody worth supporting! Argh!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Based on the abilities, she is 4* Psyloki !
  • Vhailorx
    Malcrof wrote:
    Based on the abilities, she is 4* Psyloki !

One of those things is good!
  • Vhailorx
    Ruinate wrote:
    I don't think her kit is very good but she seems very fun. I do want. Building teams around multidipping and buffing strike tiles is my favorite way of playing when I want to just have some fun.

I just wish there was another yellow battery besides Kingpin because 16 yellow is a lotttt. And his colors clash with everybody worth supporting! Argh!

Agreed, these are the factors that will limit her. The best active power to provide her with a ton of protects to flip is flaptain's yellow. But that will require a ton of yellow, so it's not great. 3* falcon might work, but he's otherwise a pretty big negative.

Thing seems like the best pair. Proc his yellow, and then flip for 1.4k of strikes. And since his passive is yellow, they cover 4/6 colors with active powers and 5/6 for match damage.

She might also have value in survival nodes, where she will have more time to flip tiles multiple times and really boost the damage up.

If her passive procs frequently, then I think she has a chance to be above average. If not, she looks very meh.
  • wymtime
    People have been saying pair with Thing, but I think her best partner is Mr F. He can provide the cheep shields to flip and can then fire off extra strike tiles. A Mr F carnage wasp team would be a strong pairing for her. u can stun then flip the protect tiles. This will allow you to double dip on the strike tiles. Overall her black is average and her best ability is probably her AP steal. She is a third wheel at best. Everyone thinking gather enough AP to fire yellow 2 times is nuts. 18 AP in any color is just too much to gather on a consistant basis to make a character viable without a massive AP generator. I just don't see her steal based on a CD generating AP fast enough. How many times will that CD be matched? From the new characters released she is with Spider Gwen and Cho and will sit at min level on most rosters.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Stats because I had free time.

Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
    HP: 12211 Tile Damage: 85/12/74/13/11/65/4.0x

Tactical Intuition - 8 yellowtile.png
    A good field tactician can anticipate the needs of battle and adjust the plan accordingly. Converts all friendly Strike tiles to Protect tiles and vice versa, strengthening them by %NumStrength.
    LVL70:
      1-cover=Improves by 32 2-covers=Improves by 43 3-covers=Improves by 56 4-covers=Improves by 80 5-covers=Improves by 129
    LVL270:
      3-covers=Improves by 110 4-covers=Improves by 157 5-covers=Improves by 254

That Buzzing Sound - Passive bluetile.png
    (PASSIVE) Wasp shrinks down and flies around the battlefield, distracting opponents and gaining a tactical advantage! At the start of your turn, if you have at least %BlueThreshold Blue AP, creates a random 1-turn Countdown tile that steals %NumSteal AP of its color. If an enemy matches this tile, Wasp stings the target for %NumDamage damage.
    LVL70:
      1-cover=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 1 AP, 185 Damage 2-covers=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 1 AP, 278 Damage 3-covers=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 278 Damage 4-covers=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 463 Damage 5-covers=Requires 9 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 694 Damage
    LVL270:
      3-covers=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 542 Damage 4-covers=Requires 10 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 903 Damage 5-covers=Requires 9 Blue AP, Steals 2 AP, 1354 Damage

Wasp Sting - 7 blacktile.png
    Wasp channels her bioelectric current into a painful sting. Deals %NumDamage damage and creates a strength %StrikeStrength Red Strike tile. If the team has at least %BlueThreshold Blue AP, she drains 3 of it to stun the target for %StunTurns turn(s).
    LVL70:
      1-cover=463 Damage, 37 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 1-Turn stun 2-covers=752 Damage, 37 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 1-Turn stun 3-covers=752 Damage, 84 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 1-Turn stun 4-covers=1288 Damage, 84 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 2-Turn stun 5-covers=1996 Damage, 148 Strength Strike, If 7 Blue AP, 2-Turn stun
    LVL270:
      3-covers=1465 Damage, 164 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 1-Turn stun 4-covers=2509 Damage, 164 Strength Strike, If 8 Blue AP, 2-Turn stun 5-covers=3889 Damage, 288 Strength Strike, If 7 Blue AP, 2-Turn stun

EDIT: Made things more clear...or less clear. Hopefully the first one. icon_lol.gif