A Goodbye and Advice to D3/Demiurge

Dauthi
Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
After about 3 years it's time for me to hang this game up. It's not because it isn't fun, it can be, it's just getting stagnant. For a long time it was Marvel X-Force Quest, where I almost quit, then came his nerf so I stuck around. Somehow we are back in the same position, but instead its Marvel Old Man Logan Quest. It's rare in a game to have characters that are nearly unplayable, while others are so good there is no reason to use anyone else. I would wait for this to be fixed, but at this point in the game I don't believe it will be, and here is why:

When I think about the moves they are making with the game, it seems like they are looking at short term and forgoing long term all together now. I see this when they barrage us with more characters or when they push something like VIP. While championing definitely helped, the last major change I remember for game-play was the HP increases and character balances. It changed the game in many ways, and made many characters playable. These kind of changes benefit their game in the long run because it emphasizes that they play/understand their game, and when something is wrong they will fix it.

Unfortunately it's hard to equate that benefit to profit, like making a new character does. Maybe it's just me, but the more I look at the last year, the more I see this trend becoming more prevalent. For instance, we were told there would be big changes to PVE at the beginning of the year, and it turned out to be a simple toggling of settings in the game, not a revision that PVE could sorely use. They still haven't rolled it out in fact (not that I feel it will help PVE), and I can only imagine this was due to them falling behind on VIP and the creation of more characters.

I guess it isn't just game-play that feels stagnant to me, but the forward momentum the game used to have to continuously change into something better. Even the videos the developers used to release slowly died out, and in my perspective it feels like this is because there really isn't any news to report anymore other than (X) new characters releasing. To the developers: keep in mind fixing broken/unfun game play is very important, it shows that you know your game, and you are willing to fix aspects that aren't fun.

It's been fun, hopefully I can find another game that will hold me for the same amount of time I have been playing MPQ icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry to see you go, I used a lot of your info on the forums to help my own roster and was in SnB for a while(superhobbit)

Best of luck
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    I see this when they barrage us with more characters or when they push something like VIP.

Well, it's not like there wasn't ever a time when we were constantly barraged with new characters. One difference is now it's 2 4* and a 5* every month, instead of 3* / 4*. Another is the constant barrage of new characters has done nothing to change the meta. There are no 4* that can challenge the 5* meta. This was apparent when SS was released and the loaner SS was enough to take out 3 maxed 4*. Sucks it took you this long to realize it, but farewell.

Will be nice to see less Shake N Bake and Chicken Tonight banners in signatures. Will probably not hit people in those alliances now, just due to their affiliation. Or grind PVE placement just to keep them out. You've done them a great service. Hope you find another game that can keep your attention and hope MPQ isn't gone by then. I'm already pot committed, so I'll be on this ship til it sinks.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    lukewin wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    I see this when they barrage us with more characters or when they push something like VIP.

Well, it's not like there wasn't ever a time when we were constantly barraged with new characters. One difference is now it's 2 4* and a 5* every month, instead of 3* / 4*.

Once upon a time there was a constant flow of 3*s and everyone panicked, but there were major balances and even stuff like Galactus released along side of it. They were doing a pretty good job at balancing the two, but when I look at things now it's completely lop-sided. Last balance was a balance to IM40, QS and someone else I believe, and only IM40s change was substantial. Compare that to when they upped HP and balanced more characters than I can remember, making most of the bad ones playable (beast for example if I remember correctly). That is the difference between then and now.

Will be nice to see less Shake N Bake and Chicken Tonight banners in signatures. Will probably not hit people in those alliances now, just due to their affiliation. Or grind PVE placement just to keep them out. You've done them a great service.

Did you do all that? It's flattering someone would use up so much of their time for me, not sure what to say icon_redface.gif
    I'm already pot committed, so I'll be on this ship til it sinks.

I felt that way too, but If you aren't having fun playing a game, doesn't that defeat the point of playing one? I left another game I had played a long time to jump into MPQ at release, and don't regret it at all.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    Somehow we are back in the same position, but instead its Marvel Old Man Logan Quest.

Bummer, I hate to see the vets go. I agree with you here Dauthi - I was tracking the first few events and I'll update (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391) after this event - where I expect to see even HEAVIER OML since IF and DPXF are boosted this week. It's OML/OML/OML everywhere - either you have the only character that matters and life is good or you have to face him every single match.

I know the optimists say this will solve itself as more people get more 5*'s....I question how people will ever get more 5*'s since there are more of them (more dilluted pool) and less ways to draw them (everyone pulled their LT's for initial champing already!).

Let's see...where to put time? In the last six months I put a ton of time into Arkham City, Dragon Age Origins, Farcry 4....last month WAY more time put into Diablo 3 (finally) than MPQ, and this month WAY more time is going into Skyrim (finally) than MPQ. I'd suggest looking into "a major gaming service" that happens to be having a "summer sale" right now.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Sorry to see you go.

I've been fading for the last six months or so, playing less and less and, more importantly, caring less and less. I am accepting the fact the game will never be what it could be. They have committed to a path (all about characters and nothing else) and that very thing is what's killing the game. I don't see that changing. Maybe it's beyond their ability. Hopefully, another Marvel game will come along and take spotlight. I like FF but, meh. I'm much more engaged with Galaxy of Heroes right now, but Marvel will always hold a bigger piece of my heart. It's too bad MPQ doesn't anymore.

Best of luck and I hope you find something you love.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sad to see you go. Best of luck!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    They have committed to a path (all about characters and nothing else) and that very thing is what's killing the game. I don't see that changing.

Good God, it's depressing to hear my inner thoughts out there like this.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for all your contributions to the community Dauthi! The forums and the game will be worse off without you.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    almost right behind you, pve is getting stale and even with progession only it will still be stale until they up the rewards... not sure what they did to pvp but last 3 pvp i joined had less then 200 people in them with hour left we get no seed teams BUT top 10 all have over 2000 pts what cant event be right.... VIP could of been great but its over priced and what you get it junk
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    The soft voice of advice is always taught through lessons given. The loudest rage is easily given. Gently walk among the footsteps of a future already learned. I bow to a teacher and have already missed my friend. A brightness hides within when one understands the fingers that complete a mind. Watch the sea and plant a self at it's shore.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    I was in Dauthi's guild, Shake N' Bake for about a month before I had to slow down playing. Great guy, great guild. Glad you were in the game Dauthi, and I hope you bring your fairness and sense of fun wherever you go.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    hope you find something else you enjoy dauthi. thank you for your reference material you posted and the contributions you've made. I used them a lot there for a while. God bless.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Adios amigo! As a sweet summer child I referenced your 3* tier list quite often. icon_e_smile.gif

My own interest in MPQ has been waning and it's very understandable why you're leaving. I hope you find some other fun game to enjoy. Take care.
  • Nate7671
    Nate7671 Posts: 47
    Your post echoes many of the feelings I myself have of the game in its current state- best of luck.
  • reb1rth
    reb1rth Posts: 4
    real question: I have only been playing a couple months. I got started around the time Civil War was pve. This game became addicting. My question is: are events like civil war uncommon? I have been waiting for events to become excited about like that one but it seems to be the same thing day in and day out. Note: I have no problem spending money on games, I spent a lot during Civil War because of how thrilled I was about the game. Now, I have no interest in spending just to play the same events on repeat. How often do exciting events like CW occur? are their any expectations for these types of events to appear in the near future? If not, I will go back to playing Star Trek Wrath of Gems which is essentially the same game...
  • _Vitto
    _Vitto Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    reb1rth wrote:
    real question: I have only been playing a couple months. I got started around the time Civil War was pve. This game became addicting. My question is: are events like civil war uncommon? I have been waiting for events to become excited about like that one but it seems to be the same thing day in and day out. Note: I have no problem spending money on games, I spent a lot during Civil War because of how thrilled I was about the game. Now, I have no interest in spending just to play the same events on repeat. How often do exciting events like CW occur? are their any expectations for these types of events to appear in the near future? If not, I will go back to playing Star Trek Wrath of Gems which is essentially the same game...

That's something you want to ask on a separate topic probably.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    reb1rth wrote:
    These events (the forum usually refers to them as "boss events") happen every few months, and usually get run about two times before disappearing indefinitely.
    • Avengers Vs. Ultron was run in April, May, and June of 2015.
    • Galactus Hungers was run twice in October of 2015.
    • Civil War was run twice in May of 2016.

They don't rerun them as often as the other story events, possibly because they don't want them to become stale, but I do hope that they'll run them again. I only got to play the Ultron once because I was taking a break from the game during the first two runs, and I wasn't in a serious alliance for the third run.

I imagine the slow rate of release for these events is because they take more development time. Each has involved new mechanics, new enemies and some press release hoopla as well.