Avengers Academy characters: who would you like in MPQ?

TheWerebison
TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Disclaimer: This is not to argue that we don't need more characters. We already know it costs a bunch of HP to roster them all. This is just for fun.
Disclaimer 2: This is about the Avengers Academy mobile app. I didn't even know there was a comic, sorry!

UPDATE! Okay, nobody really cares anymore but me. But I'll be damned if I stop until most of these characters are in MPQ!

I've been reading the posts, and since there are so many characters, I'm gonna divide them up between characters that people feel make sense to be added, and characters that don't. Obviously, all opinions are subjective.

Characters that might make good additions:

Enchantress
Taskmaster
Nebula
Baron Zemo
Crossbones
Wonder Man
A-Bomb
Captain Britain
Union Jack
Spider-Ham (you know you want it)
Lizard
Mysterio
Electro
Tigra
M.O.D.O.K.

Characters that might not make good additions:

Yondu
Agent 13
Madame Hydra
Maria Hill
Sif
Rescue
Mary Jane - Iron Spider
Spider-Man 2099
Phil Coulson

The Daredevil event has just ended, and brought out a couple characters we don't currently have, those being Jessica Jones and Hellcat. Man, both Jessica AND Patsy. It's like MPQ didn't care about that show.

And now, the Halloween special. And the only character that is unique to Avengers Academy is: Misty Knight. I like this girl, and I'd be down to see her and her whole crew have an event in MPQ.

I also saw they were putting in The Mandarin and Crimson Dynamo, but they aren't showing anymore for some reason.

So my question remains: would you want to see any of these characters in MPQ?

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've mentioned something similar to this before. I noticed them first in Avengers Academy, and then again in Avengers Alliance 2:

Wasp, Spider-Woman, Hydra, AIM, etc.

I understand that MPQ started off in the Dark Reign story, but they dropped that from the name over a year ago and haven't seemed to have progressed anywhere except "symbiotes". In particular I think Spider-Woman, with her shifting allegiances, would be a great fit for MPQ (reskin EotS, replace Hand with Hydra, BAM! Instant S-W story). Instead, we got Spider-Gwen, who I totally get that she's popular, but she's a new character, she's got no real depth, I just don't care about her.

And yes, seeing Captain Britain and Union Jack in Avengers Academy made me laugh out loud because they're just totally the sort of characters that MPQ would never even think of including.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    I've mentioned something similar to this before. I noticed them first in Avengers Academy, and then again in Avengers Alliance 2:

Wasp, Spider-Woman, Hydra, AIM, etc.

I understand that MPQ started off in the Dark Reign story, but they dropped that from the name over a year ago and haven't seemed to have progressed anywhere except "symbiotes". In particular I think Spider-Woman, with her shifting allegiances, would be a great fit for MPQ (reskin EotS, replace Hand with Hydra, BAM! Instant S-W story). Instead, we got Spider-Gwen, who I totally get that she's popular, but she's a new character, she's got no real depth, I just don't care about her.

Thankfully they don't make the game just for you. If you truly understood that Spider-Gwen is popular, then her being in the game is an obvious no brainer.

And ate also full of crud in saying she has no "depth", i actually read her book, so can tell you that's not true.

And she's not that new(She's been around for more that two years), not that factors in on which characters are included in the game and it makes sense to be up to date with the heroes anyway.

It also seems like you don't know much about Spider-Woman. Her alliance don't shift that often. In fact, she has stayed on the side of good since she left Hydra decades ago.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best ones to be included from that list for me would be the baddies as it would open up more options for pve events.
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Enchantress
    Nebula
    Sif
    Rescue
    Wasp
    Agent 13
    Madame Hydra
    Maria Hill

Personally, I think these would all be fun characters. He's not playable in AA, but Odin is prominent enough he should probably be considered as well. AA is incredibly stingy though, with all its "currencies," even more than MPQ with ISO. In that game, it takes way, way too long to build up enough textbooks for all the characters (And needing a brand new item currency on top of that was super lame at the beginning when you had 10 characters all at the same stage). It would take way, way, way too long to build up enough Iso for all these characters to show up in MPQ.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    OroKaldwin wrote:
    It also seems like you don't know much about Spider-Woman. Her alliance don't shift that often. In fact, she has stayed on the side of good since she left Hydra decades ago.
    I imagine in addition to the Hydra thing the whole 'flip-flopping allegiance' thing was further fueled by the whole Secret Invasion thing, which is a shame because that really wasn't even her.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Here's the ones I would want, no disrespect intended to any of the others (well, except maybe A-Bomb):

Enchantress
    Taskmaster
    Baron Zemo
    Wonder Man (please tell me he has the red safari jacket)
    Wasp
    Crossbones

Oh, and they'll be having a Sinister Six event soon.

Between that and collegiate Baron Zemo, I may have to finally download this game.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Taskmaster

Baron Zemo

Crossbones
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:
    Here's the ones I would want, no disrespect intended to any of the others (well, except maybe A-Bomb):

Enchantress
    Taskmaster
    Baron Zemo
    Wonder Man (please tell me he has the red safari jacket)
    Wasp
    Crossbones

Oh, and they'll be having a Sinister Six event soon.

Between that and collegiate Baron Zemo, I may have to finally download this game.

Honestly, this game has some of the best/funniest dialogue.
    I just had Wasp and Black Widow discussing hidden secrets on the Academy grounds, and top hats. Mostly Wasp was talking about top hats, and she came to the conclusion that magicians "ruined them for everyone".

It's an absolute money vampire, designed with a huge number of soft sells to try and get you spending more and more and more. Most long running events have multiple currencies (which you can still grind for) - often introducing them and/or changing mechanics as the event goes on.

But it's good enough for me to queue up a few missions on my way to and from work, and just before I go to sleep at night, and that's keeping me amused so far.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I thought you meant the comic and I was gonna be like "Finesse, Hazmat, and Mettle!"

But I guess there's a game that doesn't have them? Shame, the comic is hilarious.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Enchantress - We could do with some more utility characters, and some more Mystical characters, or just Asgardians in General. Currently my options are... Thor, and Loki. And yet we have a Divine Champions PVE. Which includes Ghost Rider... Who is Demonically powered, and as a D&D player this upsets me. Storm? A mutant. Ragnarok, A robot. And Ares, finally the only other legit Divine person. A Blue Green Black, who could perhaps hide behind an enemy champ for a few turns (Via Countdown tile.) Or a Black that allows a random use of a random enemy non passive ability, (that you can pay for...) hey sign me up. On this note I'd pay money for a Warriors Three Four Star, and a Surtur or Odin Five Star.

Spider Woman - So much potential for interesting abilities, and another defector. This is someone who could legit be cool. Someone who could do what Elektra was supposed to. Plus she fits so many places and so many themes. I'd be excited for a Jessica Drew... Pity we'll never get one.

Baron Zemo - Another villain, which we desperately need. A classic piece of marvel history, who could have a suite of abilities based on incarnation, and who is legitimately interesting with what his abilities could do... Honestly though, I feel like HE should have been Kate Bishop. No healing, self destructive impulse that deals good damage, and a scheme power that creates and removes resources on the board... Why was Kate Bishop, Kate Bishop?

Taskmaster - Ok just the powers alone should be a reason to make him. Use some Udon art, give him a passive that maybe switches colours based on the most powerful colour of his opponent. Allows him to use his other powers to create different tiles based on that. He could be really cool, and really interesting. As well as someone who could shake up the game. I'm all for that. Or actually give him a power that is based on Team Up tiles, that lets him copy the last move used against your team. So much potential.

Nebula - Another cosmic character would be nice. A tie in to the Guardians could be cool for the second movie, and she could have interesting powers. Be the almost opposite to Gamora, Blue Black Purple? Since she's supposed to be a Tactician, (Albeit not a great one due to over confidence.) Give her some board altering stuff? I dunno She's basically Mystique, and I have no ideas for her, but she'd be sort of interesting.

Sif - See Enchantress, but since her powers are basically... be a brick. I am much less interested. We have enough Red Green Yellow bricks.

Captain Britain & Union Jack - I would also take a Citizen V.

That's the end of people I want to see. Uh the others are still kind of there, but I've got almost no interest in them. In order of interest.

Crossbones - Big thug? Uh I guess the whole brainwashing thing is neat. And his movie appearance did him no favours.
    Madame Hydra - Now look. I like Viper, but again, this is a person who rarely has any abilities, and is usually ineffective, who also had a **** movie persona. I don't care.
    Yondu - We have three Hawkeyes. The sound sensitive arrow thing is cool, but be honest. Who the hell knew about this guy without the film?
    Wonder Man - Simon can be interesting. I like the ionic energy body, and the Movie Star thing. I enjoy him, and his whole both sides of the fence Schtick. But... he'd be a brick, and an uninteresting brick at that. Few people would know about him, few people would care.
    Wasp - Never had her own Solo Book for a reason. And be honest, how many of you actually like Ant-Man to start?
    Agent 13 - Generally powerless, Shield Agent. Not good enough for major teams. Not good enough for a solo run. Why do I want a character of her?
    Maria Hill - See Agent 13, only now I also get the power of Bureaucracy? Super Fun.
    Rescue - I'm not even a big fan of Iron Man, and I already have... Four of him, and a War Machine. I don't want any more.
    A-Bomb - Cause Totally Awesome Hulk, was Totally Awesome right?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    I got bored and created a table like aes suggested of playable characters across a subset of Marvel 'mobile' games (Avengers Alliance (Facebook was the mobile of yesteryear), Avengers Alliance 2, Puzzle Quest, Future Fight, Contest of Champions).

As one might expect MAA wins in most characters and most unique characters running away...since it's been around forever. Of course I think everyone would be glad to let Cammi remain exclusive to that game (and you guys think they're scrapping the bottom of the barrel here! icon_lol.gif )

I imagine it also wins pretty handily in 'fan favorites' just because of the large number of X-Folk that got dumped into it before Fox/Disney decided to have their little war (or whatever the true reasons are).
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    It's tragic that there's still no Spider-Woman in MPQ because she's been particularly great these past few years. In addition to stealth and combat, I'd love to see her with a Nick Fury-style leadership skill that lets her summon various reformed D-List villains (how ELSE would we get Porcupine into the game?).
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    When I see "Avengers Academy," my mind goes to the excellent comic by Christos Gage and not the video game. We have one Avengers Academy student in the game already: X-23. Other students included Finesse, Mettle, Hazmat, Veil, Reptil, Striker, and a whole bunch more. Teachers included Hank Pym, Jocasta, Tigra, and Vance Astro. Of all those, I'd most like to see Hank Pym (who has a lot more possibilities than the Scott Lang Ant-Man we already have), Tigra, Finesse, and Veil.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    EDIT: Cloned Kiwi's sheet and added Marvel Heroes 2016 characters.

EDIT again: Added Avengers Academy characters to the above link, since this thread is about that game icon_lol.gif I don't play that game .... it's tricky from online references to puzzle out which characters are collectible / controllable.

That done ... looking at all 7 games that were involved in the "Design A Cap" campaign, here are characters that at least 3 of them have that MPQ does not (yet):
      Angela Black Cat Henry Pym (any version!) Wasp Blackbolt Captain Britain Crossbones Dr. Strange Electro Magik Nebula Sharon Carter Sif Spider-Woman Taskmaster Ultron (player-controlled)

And here are characters that only MPQ has:
      Daken Devil Dinosaur (Seems like a natural for Avengers Academy...) Hood Old Man Logan (Only 4 of the games have any wolvies (****? only 4???), and only MPQ has the geezer!) Mystique Peggy Carter (Only game to have any version) Professor X (Seriously??? No other game offers PX???) Ragnarok Sentry (really?) Yelena Belova
    icon_lol.gif

Oh wow you actually went through and did more stuff with this. In regards to OML if I remember correctly Contest Of Champions also included OML but I just counted him as "Wolverine" (counting variants got all kinds of messy since most games will happily let you play with Cho Hulk and Banner Hulk but MPQ doesn't I sided with all the other games on that one (similarly with Jane Foster Thor). With OML I took the view that Logan is Logan even if he's old as dirt (same with HulkBuster)).

Also now you know why I completely ignored Avengers Academy I had no desire to figure out what constituted a playable character there. Glad you bit that bullet instead icon_lol.gif
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Ctenko wrote:

Spider Woman - So much potential for interesting abilities, and another defector. This is someone who could legit be cool. Someone who could do what Elektra was supposed to. Plus she fits so many places and so many themes. I'd be excited for a Jessica Drew... Pity we'll never get one.

Hey. A Spider Woman. Guess I'll be more certainly negative against other characters.

We will NEVER get a Taskmaster.
  • TheWerebison
    Updated OP with new characters, and crossed Wasp and Spider-Woman off the list.
  • TheWerebison
    Mawtful wrote:
    Honestly, this game has some of the best/funniest dialogue.

That's been the biggest and most delightful surprise to me, too. I actually enjoy reading the dialogue. It's genuinely amusing.

Also, I was amazed when I got Union Jack, and there was actually some subtle-ish flirtation between him and Loki in his questline. I thought to myself, "Am I actually seeing open-minded real world stuff in this goofy phone app?"

I don't really like the whole premium currency system that keeps me from having all the characters, because I am poor, but I'm not angry about the whole thing. It's a free game, so they have to make money somehow, and if the only way to get some of the characters is by paying, I feel they deserve it. Hell, I wish I could give them money, I enjoy this game.
  • TheWerebison
    Another update, adding in the Daredevil event characters, and some of what's been revealed of the Halloween event.