Serene Steward
Zada, Hedron Grinder

SPELS
Demolish
Ondu Rising
Enshrouding Mist
Infectious Bloodlust
Smite the Monstrous

Obviously, the two big punches in this deck are the Serene Steward + lifegain and Zada + pumping spells. The less obvious strength of this deck is the cheap casting cost of everything - the deck sets up fast and recovers fast from problems. The deck also has flexibility. It has a number of ways to take advantage of Serene Steward; Enshrouding Mist and Infectious bloodlust, while intended for Zada, are also useful in many other situations; and both "awakened" and "unawakened" forms of Ondu Rising can be very useful, depending on the situation.

I go back and forth on Demolish. Some games it is wasted. Other games, however, it is critical. For the time being, I'm leaving it in.

I haven't timed the deck in Quick Battle, but it feels reasonably fast, and it usually ends with most or all of its life intact, which is a bonus for grinding QB.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it up here.

Comments

• Nice Deck! I love Ajani because he can run a wide variety of decks, since red and white mesh well togeather, and he has significant mana gain with no downside. Since you have a bunch of spells, and an already very low mana curve, you could trade one of your creatures for Noyan Dar if you have it. You will be casting 3 of your 5 spells as often as you can, and even though Noyan won't get to 40/40 like decks designed around him, he can get really beefy quickly with this one. He is also an ally, so he will trigger the other allies as well.

My current deck for Ajani is very different from yours, since I am going for cascades off of board shake, and heavy control.

Creatures:
    Abbot of Keral Keep
    Volcanic Rambler
    Serene Steward
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper

Spells:
    Demolish
    Ondu Rising
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Smite the Monsterous

Supports:
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Sword of the Animist

On a side note, I will never get rid of Demolish, since the cost can be paid for in one match, and if I fill up on cards I can pitch it.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Agree 100% that you should keep Demolish. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Ajani is my current favorite deck right now, though my build is a bit different. I'm working on extending a 159-game win streak, mostly with this deck:

Demolish

Enlightened Ascetic

Exquisite Firecraft

Relic Seeker

Serene Steward

Smite the Monstrous

Swift Reckoning

Sword of the Animist

Volcanic Rambler

Basic strategy is to kill or disable the opponent's creatures while beating down the opponent with efficient creatures which sometimes grow in size and sometimes have lifelink.

I'd probably replace Enlightened Ascetic or Volcanic Rambler with Lantern Scout or Felidar Sovereign if I had them. Noyan Dar would be fun, but the average mana cost in this deck is just over 7, and the highest mana cost is 12. So, at 15 mana, Noyan Dar might not make the cut, though he does fit the incremental growth theme.
  • Upstartes
    Upstartes Posts: 98
    I have since tweaked the deck. I don't have Noyan Dar. I did drop the Ascetic in favor of a War Oracle - it becomes the most expensive card in the deck, but overall things still seem to work well. I also dropped Ondu Rising in favor of Magmatic Insight. I could easily go back to Ondu, but I like the ability to fish for the cards that work together.

Demolish is still in!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please use new Official Thread for further deck discussions!

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47956
This discussion has been closed.