OML discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Partners:
    Any other 5*. High level Phoenix or Surfer work very well. Surfer can tank and heal, Phoenix wants to die. Excellent fast match damage.

4Pool. OML tanks, 4Pool deals the retaliation damage, boosted with strike tiles. CD4W tiles all get the big boost.

Rhulk. Strike tiles boost his AoE and all of his retaliations.

Green hulk at max anger if boosted in a pinch. May destroy strike tiles though.

4Clops. OML can cover the yellow and team tiles, which gets your black boosted fast and often.

Boosted IF. Every turn punch boosted by big strike tiles. Makes more black tiles.

Any boosted 4* with an AoE. Jean for instance.

Play style:

Collect black while targeting the biggest threat. Try and ensure that you leave singleton black AP tiles alone and near the bottom.
    When there are no matches with black and no match 4/5 left for the AI, punch a black or two.
    If you have AoE, concentrate on getting enough AP to trigger the AoE before bringing out the big black tiles.
    Don't concentrate on getting yellow/black. If it happens, it happens. Better not to get that too early in a battle only to find you have no way to get more strike tiles and you don't have the AP to fire anything but a single yellow OML AoE.

Why you might be losing:

I have a well covered Surfer, a 7 cover OML, and a 4 cover Phoenix. I get matched against much tougher opponents. Almost everyone I fight has an OML, likely much better covered. Often with a well covered Phoenix.

You have to leave OML for last or a single big boosted 4* attack (4Clops, HB, CapFal) that can down him before he heals up. Depending on whether you have AoE or quick hits will change how you need to play. Generally you've got a 25K+ health OML, a 30K+ Boosted 4* or a 25K+ Phoenix, with a 25K+ boosted required character. You can't just think about hitting fast, you still have to think smart about using your abilities and high match damage to break your enemy before their OML transforms. This means either quickly killing his support staff, rendering his regeneration useless, giving you time to go into damage and AP denial mode or building up your big hit to take out OML before he tears into your team with strikes. Iceman can be helpful, but putting him in unboosted means he tanks blue/purple/green. Not what you want, because he'll eat too many healthpacks. The trick with that team is to gather his AP slowly through match 4s and chains to keep OML tanking and healing.

Anyway, you'll figure it out. I wish mine had more covers, but I'm in a massive no 5* streak right now.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    ok, so several have recommended leveling him. can certainly do that. enough iso to take him to ~380 now. I just read snowcatt and petergibbons experience from https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44648 and it sounds like some of the experience was negative until very high levels were reached. I'm hesitant to do something detrimental that cannot be undone.

also, along those lines - my SS stands at 11 covers at 1/5/5. I could take them both to 375 or even 405 (will take some time, but its an option). what are the advantages/disadvantages there? was really hoping to further my phoenix but that isn't happening any time soon.

edit: ok, I've stepped him up to 360 and will see how things go. seeing his health cross 20K was nice.

Don't level Surfer. He simply isn't worth it when you have Logan. Hell, no one except Phoenix seems to be worth it! (Disclosure: I have no Gobbo, Cap, or IM46 worth speaking about)

Surfer sucks on D, but if he's higher level than OML, they make a great team for climbing. The combination of active and passive true healing means I almost never need a health pack and can always slip into shield sim to heal them if I need to.

OML only tanks yellow on my team, and I've got 5 blue covers, so with 29K health, surfer regenerates 10K back for 12 blue AP. When I need a couple of heals fast, I can use 4clops or IM40 to get a ton of blue quickly.

Obviously if you have a choice, Phoenix is the better partner for OML, but if your surfer is well covered, he can be very useful to tank and do match damage boosted with OML strike tiles.
  • kwyjibo
    kwyjibo Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    my oml is 390 with covers 4 3 and 2.

first off my mmr is fine because with a 390 oml there literally isn't a team you can't beat.

second i almost never transform him. 3 630 strike tiles will take down most opponents quite fast and he still heals. i only ever try to transform him as an "oh ****!" button. if things are going south get some yellow. once he transforms everyone dies.

last but not least i run him with if and prof x in pve. give the team a try. it is great. get 5 purple, make a bunch of black. if you get a match 5 super duper. if not collect black and spit out his strike tiles. prof x will make sure there are attack tiles all over the place. only bummer is if you lose fist's tile he won't make another one. for pvp i use rhulk or xfdp generally.

enjoy your new domination of this game. i have never seen a character more op than oml and ive been around since the first month this game came out
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can confirm what others have said about number of yellow covers meaning less than Logan's level. My OML currently has 4 yellow covers (2/4/3) but I've only leveled him to 325. He's obviously able to take a pretty big beating, but his regeneration isn't so off-the-wall that he can only die from one-shot kills. I've been using him with Ghost Rider to beat rounds 7/8 of Civil War (let OML soak up damage for a while and stare boss's face off), and ended up having to use X23 with maxed red as a third to occasionally step in and take a hit, because he couldn't keep up with the boss's match damage.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So what I'm reading here is my 1/0/4 OML isn't worth much more than his roster slot right now as he has no heal and just keeps hurting himself till he keels over while tanking just about everything.

Well at least they brough back the easy nodes for him to match away.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    So what I'm reading here is my 1/0/4 OML isn't worth much more than his roster slot right now as he has no heal and just keeps hurting himself till he keels over while tanking just about everything.

Well at least they brough back the easy nodes for him to match away.

I understand your pain because for the longest time, I had only a 1/0/5 oml. (In fact my luck is so poor that I have since gotten another 5 red covers for oml).

A 1/0/5 oml is really quite useless, since he kills himself too quickly.

On the flip side, once you get a yellow cover, he is immediately useful. I was using OML at 1/1/5 for about 3 months and he is perfectly great. His heal isn't that great but it is sufficient to overcome the red passive.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone. just as an update - after struggling with him at 330 and finding more success at 360 (and seeing that basically all the top players get as many levels in him as they can), I've maxed him to 405. not sure what I do when the next one comes in, but this has done several things. one, it made cw much easier. only lost him once on my first boss fight of rd 8 against tony after we flipped to team cap (cascades by a level 450 can always kill ya). I can certainly see his value now. I've started TaT to see what it did to my pve experience and for the old system, yeah they hit 325 quickly but it doesn't really matter most of the time. not looking forward to another 'test' though. and as far as pvp goes, I'm not sure it will make any difference at all other than maybe save me some health packs. there are enough players above me that i'll never get to a point where players will skip me consistently. instead of my 270s getting hit by 330s or 350s, or my 360 getting hit by 400s+, my 405 now gets hit by 400-450s. my 'float' point really hasn't gone up any (so far) and my pushes feel really similar to before. that might change once I get in-season with him and there are more points out there (last pvp during cw and an offseason event isn't probably representative). boosted in atom kids he's just stupid.

thanks again.