Defense and Retaliations

Options
2»

Comments

• over_clocked
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    locked wrote:
    No, seriously, if all 3stars dudes find the game too hard and time-consuming for them, how did they even get so high in the first place? p2w much?

By playing smart. You should try it instead of running your mouth like a baby.

Obviously it's me who's playing smart and doesn't find herself in MMR hell. It's not me who can't bother to beat anyone their own range with a freaking endgame team. You should stop running your mouth yourself, knowing nix about my play but knowing just enough about Spencer's.
  • Are you sure you get beaten down repeatedly, by the same team? I doubt that, since your opponent will level up after beating you down, making you a less and less an attractive target.

But if you really get 10 attacks from the same player, I understand that it must be infuriating.

Edit: just to be sure, when you get beaten down by a stronger opponent, do you retaliate? If yes, you should not, you are just exposing yourslef to another round of defeat. In my case, I am getting better after 53 days (some 3* maxed, a lot of 2* maxed), but if i get demolished by a much stronger team, I never, ever retaliate; the only result i can expect is to pop-up again on their radar... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Spencer75
    Options
    gahudahu wrote:
    Are you sure you get beaten down repeatedly, by the same team? I doubt that, since your opponent will level up after beating you down, making you a less and less an attractive target.

But if you really get 10 attacks from the same player, I understand that it must be infuriating.

Edit: just to be sure, when you get beaten down by a stronger opponent, do you retaliate? If yes, you should not, you are just exposing yourslef to another round of defeat. In my case, I am getting better after 53 days (some 3* maxed, a lot of 2* maxed), but if i get demolished by a much stronger team, I never, ever retaliate; the only result i can expect is to pop-up again on their radar... icon_e_wink.gif

Actually if it's a higher ranked opponent you should retaliate if you can reliably beat their team. Even if they retaliate you'll pick up points in the exchange

And as for locked she claims I hit her 3 times, not 10, although I don't remember at all.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ad hominem is not a super power
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    Actually if it's a higher ranked opponent you should retaliate if you can reliably beat their team. Even if they retaliate you'll pick up points in the exchange

And as for locked she claims I hit her 3 times, not 10, although I don't remember at all.

We do agree: " if you can reliably beat their team". If a monster team attack you, just hit skip and hope that you will not come up again on their radar icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spencer attack me twice too, I attacked him twice as well.

Then there are players like mawts, midnight, gues05 beaten on me repeatedly as well. With midnight must be super pissed off and attacked me like 7 times. This Mmr hell is so dumb. Give me different opponents to beat please lol.
  • *sigh*

this started as a very interesting topic ... now ... *sigh*

can we go back talking about Defense and Retaliations please
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh come on folks, I don't care what your name is, I only see points vs how long it will take to get those points. I don't care how deep your roster is, or if you fielded baby kittens as your team. In fact if I see a baby kitten team for 18 points and a level 141 3* team for 29, I am going to hit that 141 3* team... Right after my kitten snack.
  • locked wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    locked wrote:
    No, seriously, if all 3stars dudes find the game too hard and time-consuming for them, how did they even get so high in the first place? p2w much?

By playing smart. You should try it instead of running your mouth like a baby.

Obviously it's me who's playing smart and doesn't find herself in MMR hell. It's not me who can't bother to beat anyone their own range with a freaking endgame team. You should stop running your mouth yourself, knowing nix about my play but knowing just enough about Spencer's.

Your play sucks. It's pretty obvious.
  • Clint wrote:
    Oh come on folks, I don't care what your name is, I only see points vs how long it will take to get those points. I don't care how deep your roster is, or if you fielded baby kittens as your team. In fact if I see a baby kitten team for 18 points and a level 141 3* team for 29, I am going to hit that 141 3* team... Right after my kitten snack.

Yep, hitting the kitten team for 18 points first also means that you're hitting the 141x3 team for less points when you do. This also means that the 141x3 team will get less for retaliating, making it less likely. It's a smarter play all around. The only exception to that might be in an unbracketed tourney, or if the 141x3 team is in your bracket for regular PvP (much rarer). In that case you might hit them first to maximize their point loss - really only relevant in the anchor leg of a tourney.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I attack for ISO. I'll hit 5 tiny kitty teams for 350-700 vs attacking an Allstar team and having to use health packs. It's all about attacking as much as I can when events aren't goin on.
  • My, what a lot of bickering.

Locked- The only problem with locking max character levels you can face is then PVP would break down into tiers. Kind of like PVP Dark Souls if you ever gave that a go. Basically, you field a team with max level of X and max rarity of Y so that you can only face opponents of some chosen max level. It lets you manipulate the system to evade facing more powerful higher rarity teams.

The downside to the above is due to MMR. Your pool of potential opponents will dry up very quickly if you start eliminating potential matches by character level restrictions. Already you can see the same people 1 in every 10 skips if your point total is high and MMR is too. Some people get stuck in loops of fighting 5-6 of the same people over and over because they're the only ones in MMR range.

MMR manipulation has become a nearly mandatory part of the game. Tanking was necessary during the TaT PVE event to remain competitive after the nerfs (unless you were like me and were already so deep in 230-land that there was no escape). Tanking is useful in LRs to face opponents you can beat fast enough to keep up. I don't tank much because I don't have the patience for it, but every once in a while when my opponent pool is all 141 Hulks, Punishers, and Spider-Men, I decide it's worth it. Then I go back to facing people my own level again.

If Spencer kept hitting you, eventually he'd win a bunch and you'd lose a bunch, and you'd part MMR ways. The only way he could see you then is on a retaliation, and if his point total is higher and you can win, you get more out of the deal than he does and since he's smart and knows he'll keep losing points, he'll give up.

As for attacking weaker opponents... why not? They're obviously in the same MMR pool as you, so they're doing just as much winning as you are. Especially once the skip tax gets here, there's a cost for NOT fighting the people presented to you, be they stronger or weaker. I think most of us will hit stronger or weaker. We don't care as long as we win and have a net gain on points. Sometimes going from 0-400 you'll whack a few people so much weaker that they can't retaliate. It's a necessary strategy to placing high in brackets, since a 100 pt vs 800 pt revenge is gonna hurt to the tune of 50 points. If they can't win, those points are safe.

I know nothing personal was meant. The only time things get personal is in revenge wars (which I think they should get rid of. Attack, revenge, done. No counter-revenge option.) and then it's a matter of principle. Even then though if one person is competing for the top spot they'll have to break out because revenge wars have very small gains point-wise. Once someone has (perhaps even inexplicably) revenge beaten me 2-3 times in a row, why keep fighting? I don't stand to gain hardly any points unless his point total is way above mine, in which case odds are he's pretty strong and experienced and wouldn't be revenging me anyway because he'd lose mass points.

The whole system has a way of balancing out. The balance points are a bit wonky and people with super low MMRs still have a keen edge because they're invisible to average middle-tier players and they can trounce other new players quickly, but that's another topic.

Cheers!
  • Love the changes to defense and retaliation. I don't see a ton of people losing to me, but it's way more than it used to be. I think there might be more people skipping me (although I'm not intimidating enough to be a serious threat).

If we're talking defense--Magneto has some intimidation factor on his side (if he matches enough purple one of your guys is going to explode), but Hood is definitely the worst. If I'm gonna skip anybody, it's going to be Hood. Patch at 141 is a little discouraging, too, just because there's going to be a lot of damage handed out. I don't care if Hulk is there right now, but that may well change depending on how they alter Spiderman. Oh, and Original Black Widow. I've lost more matches against her (due to purple saturation and very early aggressive recon) than just about any other single character.