For Odin's sake stop complaining about Thorverine

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I have really had enough of players complaining about the nerf of Thor and Wolverine. Seriously can't take you anymore.

You can say the time was horrible. OK
You can say that the sale for only half ISO was rip-off-ish. OK
You can say that having boosted events for these chars right away was bad. Ok

You can say that they were not HORRIBLY OVERPOWERED TO BEGIN WITH. You are DEAD WRONG.

I had, and still have for the sake of good times, a lvl 85 Thor and a lvl 60 Wolvie (never found the yellows)
If you even think that they were not strictly better than most stuff excluding, let's see... Rag's red (rip), Mag's purple (rip soon), Spidey blue (rip soon I'll miss ou hard), you were, dear sirs, PLAYING THEM WRONG. Your fault, really, for missing the wreck train.

The strategy was mind numbing simple - not doable anymore for double char-boost nerf.
Start with +3 red/yellow, (optional stokpike +3 all)
Match 3 times red (or 2 with stockpile).
At 10+ red ap start spamming wolvie green, multiple times possibly - the board becomes full of strong attack tiles, your match damage shoots to 500-1000 and above.
At 12 red ap use Thor's red twice. Deal 1100+700avg from attack tiles TWICE, rack even more from yellow matches boosted from attack tiles.
You now have 15-25 yellows, shoot off once or twice the 2k+ damage and finish the game.

Alternate strategy, if red does not abound on the board, shoot Thor's yellow first and feed/spam Wolv's green with your 5+ red stockpiled, until you can unleash the Thor's red>yellow hell again.

This is somewhere around 12000 damage in say 5-6 turns, as a very cautious estimate (can't bother with the actual math, but you can if you want).

Not counting that both health pool was the "best there is" for 2* (Wolv's virtual health pool with regeneration being weak to direct damage powers but almost invincible to normal matches).

So much for the "they were perfectly fine before".

I miss them, tons of fun and accolades. But enough lies. It had to be done, sadly.

Now STOP complaining, and support my campain for more ISO in the game to build roster diversity icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Ok, so you're saying we have to use boosts or wait until we can make enough yellow matches to use the very expensive thunder strike. No. Just no. And how does Thor's red help wolvies green? How are we using the red multiple times in 5-6 turns? I shouldn't have to rely on boosts to win. According to your strategy, I do.
  • Typhon13 wrote:
    Ok, so you're saying we have to use boosts or wait until we can make enough yellow matches to use the very expensive thunder strike. No. Just no. And how does Thor's red help wolvies green? How are we using the red multiple times in 5-6 turns? I shouldn't have to rely on boosts to win. According to your strategy, I do.

I was talking about the pre-nerf strategy.
    When Thor's red was strong, boosts cost was good, and the two character had an amazing synergy.
    The one you define "perfectly ok".
    You know nothing, Typhon Snow.

Now stop crying and move along, I miss their real potential, you miss what you were not able to use fully.

You could make much better use of what we have now, if that respec option came in sooner.

The devs will never take back this nerf, nor they should. So stop stressing yourself and us over it, a rollback is not happening.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Lets say I didn't have the spare iso to throw boosts around because, like you said, there needs to be more. The odds that I'm using thors old red several times in 5-6 turns is low. They did work well together, even better now, but now they don't work apart, because Thor's red doesn't lay down enough yellows to make up for the yellow's cost, and not everyone had a 3/5/5 like you need now. Not everyone had the iso to max both, especially when they have 20+ other covers. You can make an argument for them being SLIGHTLY op before, but they got over nerfed. I never defined anything as okay, those are your words. Your strategy makes too many assumptions.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    A rollback isn't the point (although hopefully it woul fix some of the numerous problems introduced recently).

Yes, they were more powerful, particularly together, than just about all other chars. Some char is ALWAYS going to be the most powerful, but balancing them was necessary. While they didn't go completely Rag on Thorverine they did over do it, and still haven't given us a respec ability. Like most of the changes since Dec things are getting done in a half kitty manner. It shows horrible design/thinking to dramatically change characters while leaving people locked into their builds.

There are some awesome aspects of the game, but recent changes are mostly cosmetic or just plain bad.
  • Typhon13 wrote:
    Ok, so you're saying we have to use boosts or wait until we can make enough yellow matches to use the very expensive thunder strike. No. Just no. And how does Thor's red help wolvies green? How are we using the red multiple times in 5-6 turns? I shouldn't have to rely on boosts to win. According to your strategy, I do.
    Thunder Strike is only 12 Yellow.

That's only four matches, and could be less if you pick up a match-4+. That's not very expensive at all. In return, it hits for 750 and creates a whopping 9 green tiles for Thor and his friends to play with.

I love the new Thor. He's still basically on the cusp of being a 3* character for how strong he is.
  • PhantomFO wrote:
    Typhon13 wrote:
    Thunder Strike is only 12 Yellow.

That's only four matches, and could be less if you pick up a match-4+. That's not very expensive at all. In return, it hits for 750 and creates a whopping 9 green tiles for Thor and his friends to play with.

I love the new Thor. He's still basically on the cusp of being a 3* character for how strong he is.
    Four matches, which the op said I could easily make in 5-6 turns. Unlikely. And it only drops 9 if you have 5 yellow covers. The damage is also negligible against many characters and high level pve. It helps, but not enough.
  • Thor is still highly usable. Wolverine is ****. Any character that has a skill that's basically unusable due to restrictive requirements for passives or high AP costs for actives is crippled pretty keenly. Wolverine's old heal was okay. His new heal is trash. By the time he's half dead, he's dead. His old strength was 3 AP. Now that it's 6, he's even with guys like Punisher or Daken for strike tile generation. So squishy + trash skill + no OP green ability = dead. All of Thor's abilities are still useful. I like his yellow now more than I used to, even. Filling the board with green even just one time per match can lead to an instant win with people like Hulk, Patch, or GSBW.

As for if they were OP... If you think they weren't, you simply didn't play enough PVP. One cascade ended matches all the time, moreso for Thor than Wolvie. Wolvie was a nuisance, spamming his cheap ability that was too strong and too useful for the cost. Thor was a God. Selectively break reds/yellows for 5 turns out the gate, and something was going to be dead, boosts or no. Add on over 5k hp, and it got ugly often. Could Thorverine beat 3* teams? Sure, with the right board setup, just like any other combination. But even with lousy board setups, Thorverine would often trample other 2* teams.

In a hundred skips with a lousy MMR, you would find 75+ lvl 85 Thors and/or Wolverines. Now there aren't really characters like that. Spidey and Mags are getting nerfed because of their 2 AP abilities being too spammable. Mags possibly due to the easy manipulation of skill 5 blue as well. They need to be nerfed. The problem with nerfing Spidey is it'll break PVE again further than it already is, so a countermeasure must be taken or PVE will be impossible for high tier players. I don't think anyone is too up in arms about Mags. He's just annoying.
  • How dare you take the name of our Allfather in vain!
  • Deer717 wrote:
    Wolverine is ****. Any character that has a skill that's basically unusable due to restrictive requirements for passives or high AP costs for actives is crippled pretty keenly. Wolverine's old heal was okay. His new heal is trash. By the time he's half dead, he's dead.

I bag to differ. I also thought the new yellow is as good as nonexistent. Play shows it's not at all. Well, it does different thing than was in description.
    While the green is still pretty strong -- just not that OP, and red shoots for 2800+ for 12, a real deal. actually it's good use to one-shot the other Wolverine icon_e_smile.gif so he need not be half-dead to be dead. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Gigas Breaker
    Gigas Breaker Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    5/5 Thunder Strike is pretty rad. Thor still has a lot of health. I think he's still a really good ** character.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I bag to differ. I also thought the new yellow is as good as nonexistent. Play shows it's not at all. Well, it does different thing than was in description.
    While the green is still pretty strong -- just not that OP, and red shoots for 2800+ for 12, a real deal. actually it's good use to one-shot the other Wolverine icon_e_smile.gif so he need not be half-dead to be dead. icon_e_wink.gif

Are you saying that Wolverine's yellow is different than the description? What does it actually do?
  • pasa_ wrote:

Are you saying that Wolverine's yellow is different than the description? What does it actually do?

It heals some fixed 440 pts on every yellow match if actual life is below 50%. (With 3 in yellow; Original healed ~169 auto.)
    Way more where buffed...

If you can actually use yellow for anything (spiderman, thor, ares...) he heals up surprisingly fine.

From the description I estimated way lower numbers and really small values just below 50%.