oof

Options
loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So, I'm really excited about the new cards, new gameplay mechanics, new UI update, new everything. It's all really awesome and it makes the core game - the match 3 card game - much stronger.

But opening 28 packs in a row and only getting 1 guaranteed rare and 1 random mythic? That was horrible. That was a huge, huge negative that outweighed all the rest of the positive changes to me. Combine that with the massive, massive nerf to PvP rewards and I'm left wondering: what is the point?

After 4 months I was still missing most of the rares and nearly all the mythics from Origins. And they nerfed the **** out of the drop rate. I don't really look forward to collecting the BfZ cards because at this point I'm not sure if I will EVER get any of the rares or mythics. I mean, I am not a conspiracy theorist but at this point I am completely convinced that at some point in March drop rates for rare+ became noticeably lower. Everyone has noticed it, in fact. We've got tons of posts about it. And now the odds that I'll get much of a reward from PvP just dropped considerably. And even if I do, who cares? It'll still be a **** 5-pack with 3 commons and 2 uncommons.

I'm not sure what the devs were thinking or what they are trying to protect for the long-term health of the game, but I wanted to express my feelings about the short term changes to the meta game - the reward part of the game. This game - like its half-sister MPQ - has two distinct components: a core match 3 game, and a meta rewards game. The core games are SO GOOD. They are tight and interesting and there's so much to love. The metas are horrible. It makes the games unplayable - at least to me - because the rewards are so bad I can't really make myself care to play. I get no sense of advancement. There's no progression. And what little you get is far too slow. (And then you glance at the prices for IAP and you just laugh.)

I really, really love the core match 3 game. But that's not enough. It has to have a sense of progression, a good meta-reward part, in order to keep me coming back. And the last 24 hours has shown me that this is not moving in a positive direction: in fact it's gone extremely backwards in the last several weeks. And that just isn't going to work for me: not when there are too many other distractions for my precious time.

Anyway, do with that what you will, devs. There are my thoughts.

Comments

• paralistalon
    Options
    Yeah, I absolutely noticed this secret change. As someone that has an extra 50+ duplicate rares to trade in when the patch came out, I got all of those rares when the game was relatively new. I opened maybe 3 rares total in the last month! I've opened two fat packs of the BFZ boosters from story mode crystals and have been pretty disappointed. Almost no new rares so the last thing I feel like doing is spending money when the rate is so low. The funny thing is, had I gotten a few good white or black rares, I might have even considered buying one of the new planeswalkers. As it stands, have almost no new cards for my decks and happy to stay a free player.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree.

The creative parts of the game are pretty cool (the mechanics, the encounters in the short, the pw skills and cards) but they business part are too greedy to care.

But hey, maybe most people dont care and they will continue playing and spending money.

Anyone knows another cool card game for mobiles? (That is not hearthstone)
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    I posted a similar thought in another thread. Basing this game's reward system off of one of the most dysfunctional and oppressive (MPQ) reward systems ever created is a recipe for disaster. It's a bad sign that sometimes I will just play the original Puzzle Quest on Steam, so that I can feel like I am achieving something/making progress. 2 iterations later and I cannot say that MPQ or MtG:PQ have improved upon the original Puzzle Quest at all. Gameplay-wise? Debatable. Overall satisfaction? Definitely not. I don't fault the devs though, more so the nature of F2P vs. real games.