runes/crystal/duplicate suggestion - 70% new packs

Options
MTG_Mage
MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
(note that I posted this same message in general under the topic 'Curent and future state of the game discussion')

The game has 2 kinds of currency, runes manarune.png and crystals manacrystal.png . Runes should only be associated with 'playing the game' stuff (like planeswalker experience and health regeneration healthpack.png ) and crystals are for buying new cards cardpack.png .

To address the health question, simply allow healing potions healthpack.png to be purchased with runes manarune.png .

As for converting duplicate cards into runes, they should instead be converted into crystals manacrystal.png since all you can do with them is buy more cards. My suggested trade in rate for dupes in crystals are; commons=2, uncommons=3, rare=12, mythic=60.

However the issue of getting those last few cards in a set is still an issue.
I suggest that making a new kind of pack that GUARANTEES at least 1 non-duplicate per per pack cardpack.png .
To prevent people from only buying those packs, or making them wayyy to expensive, how about making a new kind of currency - say crystal dust or gems iso8.png , and you can only buy those special packs with the new currency.

The only way to get this new money iso8.png would be by converting duplicate cards into it...AND the new packs cardpack.png can be unlocked to be purchased with regular crystals manacrystal.png when a players collection reaches 70% of cards in that set. After that point its diminishing returns on your chances to get a new card in a pack, so with these new packs unlocked at that point both players and developers are satisfied. It also quells the pack percentages issue since there is a solution to getting your missing cards once you have a critical mass of cards in a set. Maybe even give the ability to upgrade regular packs to special ones at a cost.

I hope with the expansion that there are many new objectives in story mode, and since you get runes for playing any match, all secondary objectives should be in crystals.
I also wanted to mention that I am very impressed with the rebalancing of the planeswalkers so all abilities cost the same and increase in power as you level. That is a very good solution to getting people to level up. I do think that the 9 cost first rank abilities could be reduced by 1 or 2, however with going to level 60 and adding a 4th rank, we shall see what interactions with planeswalker points are introduced, such as bonuses and cards that interact with them. I would really like some feedback on the ideas I suggested above.

Comments

• hoihoi8
    hoihoi8 Posts: 15
    Options
    +1. Way better idea than their current garbage card duplicate system
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be honest I can see why from a business point of view and even for gameplay reasons(when collection is full, why keep playing?) they won't allow specific card or non-duplicate cards to happen.

Still there should be a way to use duplicate cards to get new random cards.
    The old 3 pack buy with runes was already good in my opinion.

From a greedy player point of view I support this suggestion though icon_rolleyes.gif
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    To be honest I can see why from a business point of view and even for gameplay reasons(when collection is full, why keep playing?) they won't allow specific card or non-duplicate cards to happen.

this is their mistake for me

When Im able to get a full collection there will be some time that i will keep playing because i want to use my new cards because i've dreamed of using them but never could.
    For example i want to have a demonic pact to do a black deck, but i dont have it. When i get it ill sure make a black deck with it and keep playing.

The way for the devs to make up keep playing is to release new cards, new events, new modes, new story challenges, NOT making us impossible to get the collection.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    EDUSAN wrote:
    Morphis wrote:

this is their mistake for me

When Im able to get a full collection there will be some time that i will keep playing because i want to use my new cards because i've dreamed of using them but never could.
    For example i want to have a demonic pact to do a black deck, but i dont have it. When i get it ill sure make a black deck with it and keep playing.

The way for the devs to make up keep playing is to release new cards, new events, new modes, new story challenges, NOT making us impossible to get the collection.
    New constant content is definitely another way to keep people interested in playing the game and from a player point of view it is better.
    Your sentence about playing black deck though, is hard to believe.
    That does not mean you are lying just that you do not keep in mind that there are really few games that are "simply" fun to play indefinitely.
    Usually after you clear a game(and for this game clearing equals to have all cards and planeswalkers) you need either a way for competitive game or some reward to keep playing.

This game has the only competitive factor in "who plays the most" since opponent is played by ai.